Sunday, January 11, 2009

A few things to check in about

Work

You know how I was pet sitting in Malibu over the holidays? Well, that client generously posted a “we recommend” notice in their community newspaper. Apparently that edition was released last week. From it, I received one new client and three other inquiring phone calls. Mostly people want an overnight pet sitter so they’re just gathering information.

I have no idea how long this new client will need me since I’m basically there to keep an eye on the newest puppy so my client can go to meetings and run errands. At some point, the puppy will be trained enough to be left alone for a few hours at a time.

I’m grateful for the work. It’s been a life saver.

- - - - -

Mental Health

I started on antidepressants eleven days ago. I only know this because I took my first dose on New Years Day. I realize medication is a taboo subject in some circles. I know this because of my own previous judgments about it. I was once a preacher of holistic, natural healing for all ailments. And I still am, to a degree. But if a diabetic needs insulin injections because her body doesn’t produce it naturally, who am I to judge the next person whose body doesn’t naturally produce sufficient levels of serotonin?

I believe this antidepressant medication is assisting my body in producing healthy levels of serotonin. For the past three months - and more dramatically for two weeks before the new year - I could feel how “off” my body’s chemistry was. It’s the most frustrating thing to want to feel good and not be able to.

So the meds are kicking in. I realize it’s a journey to get to the right dosage but already I’m feeling the positive effects. It does help that I’m getting work and my relationship is stronger than ever but at least I’m on a path where if the floor is ripped out from underneath me, I should be able to find my way to my feet better.

- - - - -

Physical Health

I’m doing much better getting food into my body. I still have days where it’s difficult to eat solid food so I bought chicken broth and high protein drinks to “ensure” I get nutrients. So far so good. I’ve also been drinking lots of water and eating provolone cheese and turkey breast when I can handle solid foods. I haven’t had any more dizzy spells yet so that seems to be under control. Thankful for that!

- - - - -

The House and Living

We’re still looking for a third housemate. I have a couple of people scheduled to come by this week. If we can get someone in here soon, things would feel a lot lighter in my heart - and heavier in my wallet.

My living situation is still so up in the air. So many variables come into play. The only thing I know for sure is I will be with Aussie soon. Here, there or elsewhere. We don’t know. We don’t care. It doesn’t matter. As long as we are together.


link to original post

No comments: