Thursday, November 3, 2005

Options

Warren from The Screenwriting Life is venturing into another aspect of the movie industry, applying for a training program for First Assistant Directors.  He explains it here.

I find this very exciting and ultra-inspiring.

When I first moved to LA in the early '90s, I was a college graduate with a BA in Theatre.  My ultimate goal was to act.  That's been my lifelong dream ever since I can remember.  Well, except for that one year I wanted to be a hairdresser.  Oh, and a professional baseball player.  I guess now it makes sense why my folks encouraged me to pursue acting.

Upon arriving to LA, I was acting right away, doing murder mystery dinner theater.  I stumbled my way onto the set of Wings and charmed my way into the show as a regular extra.  This is how I earned my SAG eligibility.  And that's about the last we heard of the aspiring-actress-me.

What happened?  I dunno.  That's a process for another entry.

The reason I feel so inspired by Warren's actions?

Throughout the last ten years, I wondered what it would've been like to (formally) study things like psychology, directing/film making, teaching.  But (aside from a class here and there, a few books and personal study), I never fully pursued any of it because I thought it was too late.  [I'm too old. I can't afford it. I suck.]

So, to see an admired peer like Warren (who left a career in Law to pursue screenwriting), start in a whole 'nother adventure today, proves that anyone can do anything at any time!  No matter what the outcome.

Acting, directing, teaching, screenwriting, producing ... We all know this is just a partial list of all the career possibilities that excite me.

Now if I could pick just one and stick with it for more than a month at a time....  Oh right, there's that.  My interests change with the wind.

8 comments:

lacaza3 said...

I have done the same thing I could write a long list of stuff I have done but didnt stick to...I wonder sometimes is I have a fear of success lol
Donna In TEXAS

artloner said...

I'm the same way honey.  You don't suck...LOLL...just very smaht chicky!

;)

andi

krobbie67 said...

Hello! I didn't start college until I was 32. You're never too old, in my opinion. When I started, I wasn't sure of the specific direction and was having fears that I would change my mind but I thought I'd get it started which would at least get me in motion then I could figure out the direction. If you go to a community college or one of the state schools, it isn't that expensive. I paid cash for mine. Take one class if that's all you can afford. :-) ---Robbie

warrenleon said...

Hey, thanks T. for the kind words.  I'm glad that you find the move inspirational.  I absolutely think that it's never too late to do anything, once you find the thing that you really are passionate about.  For me, it's filmmaking - and so anything related to that (screenwriting, producing, production) feels like a step toward my ultimate goal - getting a movie made.  But there were people in my law school class in their mid-50's, and I know people who have started medical school after practicing law for a few years.

Rodin once said that "Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."  (Okay, I got it off a Good Earth tea bag, but it's still a fantastic quote.)  I'm a big believer in the idea that anything you do in life enlightens and contributes to what you're doing right now.  I practiced law for several years, but it wasn't a waste of  time if I can use that experience to inform my writing and my understanding of the business.  I'm sure your acting informs your writing in the same way.

Anyway, getting a little wordy.  All that I'm really trying to say is that it's never to late in life to follow your dreams.

xzasporated1 said...

One of the most interesting things that ever happened professionally to me was the time I taught both a grandmother and her granddaughter in the same class.  

As long as you're breathing, it's never, ever too late.

~~ jennifer

coy1234787 said...

Follow your dreams!
  *** Coy ***


judithheartsong said...

inspiration is a very good thing. You can do anything you set your mind to and we will be right here cheering. judi

bridgetteleigh75 said...

Trish, you can do anything you want to.  I have faith.  And as far as I'm concerned, as long as you're drawing breath, you're not too old for anything.  

XO,
bridgett