Wednesday, November 16, 2005

OPEN LETTER TO AOL JOURNALS COMMUNITY

NOTE:  PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE FLASHING BANNER ADS ABOVE.  LIVINGROOM SUPERSTAR, TRISH MONACO AND JOURNEY TO PEACE DO NOT ENDORSE, CONDONE NOR APPROVE OF AOL'S BLATANT DISREGARD FOR THEIR PAYING CUSTOMERS.

* * * * *

I apologize in advance to all my non-AOL readers. The only way this will affect you is having to eventually change the link to my online blog.

* * * * *

I'm begging the AOL-Journals Community to STOP SENDING MASS EMAILS, especially to those journalers you don't even know. This is called SPAM.

Yes, AOL has screwed its loyal paying customers by adding disgusting banner ads to all of our journals, private and non. [Don't get me started about how UK journals are ad-free!]

Yes, I am just as outraged.

Yes, I will most likely be moving my journal/blog if this doesn't get resolved.

But the only way to really make a statement is to CANCEL AOL COMPLETELY.

Going private or boycotting by not updating doesn't matter. AOL has already made it clear that it does not value its paying members. It values what most greedy corporations value most: money.

Period.

End of that story.

Onward.

So please, AOL Journal Community members, if you have moved, post it in your own blog. Post it in the message boards. Post it in your profile. Your readers will find you.

If you have a message to send to the Lords of AOL, post it in your own blog. Send AOL an email to this address: journalchanges@aol.com. Write to the AOL Journals Editor, Joe: journalseditor@aol.com. Write to John Scalzi: johnmscalzi@aol.com.

You're only preaching to the choir otherwise.

If you really want to stick with an AOL/AIM journal, you can cancel your paid membership and begin the same exact journal for free. At least now we know who will be picking up the slack for their free services. As of now, we are the horse's ass.

Remember, AOL Journals wouldn't exist if it weren't for us. We made this community what it is today. I speak from experience. I've been here since the beginning. The only folks more upset than me are the beta testers like Vivian, who went over and above to create and promote this community.

Our lives are changed, forever. It just may be time to move on.

WE are the community.  Not AOL.  Let's stick together.  Peace.

13 comments:

kuhlhiggins said...

Trish,
Very well said. I couldn't have said it any better myself.
Love,
Kat

thebludragoness said...

I completely agree with you Trish. AOL treats their customers like crap, they always have and as far as I can see, they always will.

http://journals.aol.com/thebludragoness/RantingDesigner

xzasporated1 said...

Luckily there is now a group for those who wish to join to keep in touch via email, so the mass emailing can now stop and be directed to the ones who wish to receive them.

Well said Trish.  WE are the community that we worked so hard to build.  We.  Its people.  Not AOL.  Not the house.  The community is in the spirit of its people.

And as a people, a community, we will survive.  And we will continue to prosper.  If we make the effort to.

~~ jennifer

kathlyna22 said...

you  said it Free.
Peace
Kathleen

txsguinan said...

You sing it, sister ~ preachin' to the choir here.  

I ALREADY pay for the damn site and I will thank you NOT to wave your ugly ass billboards at me and mine, Zippy the AOL Flunky.

So ~ where we goin'?

txsguinan said...

Pinhead ~ Zippy the AOL Pinhead.  That's better.  :)

babyshark28 said...

Great message Freee.

I still can't imagine abandoning my journal though....
if I scroll down a smidge....even before it loads....I can't see them

so, then, they don't exhist.
nah nah nah...
lol

I don't know...

cw2smom said...

I can't find any of the ads today, but I sure can't save any entries yet!  Lisa

geminiwilder said...

i've always loved your soothing voice of reason and sanity.
thanks, trish.  peace back atcha.   xo phinney

coy1234787 said...

    I hope we can all find a way to stay together somehow.
                      *** Coy ***

ckays1967 said...

well said sister....


and I like your new home

princessaj502 said...

I hear where you are coming from. We as AOL members shouldnt have to have ads in our journals. It's all bs

hestiahomeschool said...

I miss being able to read your journal....