Monday, November 7, 2005

A MrazSpaz-style Review

I wanted to spend some time giving a heartfelt review of my intimate acoustic evening with Jason Mraz (and 2500 other people).  But every time I try to put my experience into words, I fall short.

Instead, I spent today walking doggies, playing with photos, watching a movie with my roomie, balancing my checkbook, and writing two new songs.  One I really like.  And one I kinda like.  We'll see what happens with them.  I'm crediting my burst of creativity and inspiration to Jason Mraz.

Here's what I can say about him...

I'm thrilled to report, he is the genius I thought he was.  He wrote a song on stage using words, topics and phrases from the audience.  I mean, the man was able to incorporate Canada, the Greenbay Packers and "bipolar love" into one cohesive, great-sounding song.

He's a shy boy who hides behind his hats.  Mostly at the beginning of a show.  Eventually he turned his cap around revealing his cutie-boy face.

My beliefs are confirmed: He indeed sounds much better live, than his fully produced albums.

Trust me when I say, acoustic Mraz is the way to go.

I was pleased to see he didn't saturate his show with "the hits" from his CDs.

He opened with a brand new song.  And during his encore, he played the very first song he wrote.  His lyrics and music were just as powerful when he was 19 as they are today.  [what is he, 26? 27?  I try not to think about our age difference.]

His voice stayed strong throughout the two hour performance - thanks to his 'singing juice' (tea) that got refilled mid-show.  "You know you've made it big when..."

It was unanimously decided (by three of us) that I should be his opening act.

Before we went, I took a pain killer (because the last concert I attended left me numb and deaf).  I had a couple of vodka mixed drinks during the show.  Apparently I was thirsty.

At the end of the show, I stood up to leave and it all hit me at once.  Suddenly I was floating, unsure of my footing, unaware of my whereabouts.  A real out-of-body experience.  A good one.  I was on a high like no other. 

It's good to know my camera really does capture the true essence of my experiences.  Each photo I took got more and more blurry.  But my memory of the show is Zen clear.

14 comments:

thebludragoness said...

Sounds like you had a great time.

mallory4284 said...

awesome pictures! I'm sitting here trying to figure out why I didn't take my camera to take pictures when I went to his concert. (I know I had one...it was my old one, but I had one) Hm, maybe they didn't allow cameras?? No, I don't think that's it....

Anyway, glad you had a good time! I love acoustic music. So I can only imagine how much fun it really was.....And I think you should be his opening act, too...just cause you rock.

-- Mallory

andreakingme said...

Bwahahahaha! I love how you ended this. Grrreat entry.

(Bwahahaha!)

mikethedawg said...

Thanks for sharing the (fuzzy) fotos!! ha hahaha!

When can we hear your new songs????

I actually tried to call you the other evening...was jonezing for your voice, but somehow I called an old man instead- he's never heard of Trish Monaco. Shame.
I must have the wrong #... so, instead I popped in your CD and carried on a conversation with you that way. Ha.

aims814 said...

Cool! I love his music. He's so talented. He played in B'ham at the X-lounge a couple of years ago. We bought the X-lounge cd. You're right. His acoustic style gives a whole new look at him.

Love ya girl!
]Mia

txsguinan said...

{{{{WE LOVE YOU JasON-NN!!!!}}}}

Woa ~ sorry.  Teenage concert flashback.  Where's my Bic?

This was the absolutely bar-none-best acoustic concert I've been to in ages.  "Bipolar Love" is my new favorite song!  It's all about the wordplay; I just can't get enough.  And the boy is just too freakin' adorable besides.  Age difference?  HA!  I LAUGH at the age difference...but enough about me and my issues.  I cannot WAIT to hear the new songs!  I knew it ~ creativity begets creativity.  Inspiration.  Keep writing.  You rock, Monaco!

And that is my all time favorite picture of us *ever!*  I think it brings out all our best qualities. You'd never guess it was shot in the loo.  ;D

judithheartsong said...

sounds wonderful... so glad you had fun. judi

krobbie67 said...

Hey! I just realized that "veto power" was overlooked. Hmmm... ::::scrunching face:::: :-\ ----Robbie

globetrotter2u said...

So glad you had fun!
Next time my handsome son goes out to LA to be in a movie, the two of you simply must meet up! He also is a singer/song writer . You would have a lot in common!
Thanks for leaving that comment in my journal, Trish. You are so right and it put it in a much better perspective for me:)
Peace!
Maryanne

globetrotter2u said...

OOps! Forgot to tell you he has written a screenplay, too!
Don't I sound like a ridiculous matchmaker mom?
Maryanne

bridgetteleigh75 said...

Sounds great!  Well, umm..maybe not the floating, clumsy part.  <grin>

XO,
bridgett

chasingmoksha said...

Pain killers, vodka, seduction, Mrs. Robinson, acoustics, oh my.  Sounds like a credible evening!

I vote opening ACT!!!!!!!

deabvt said...

Hehehe, I`m happy for you!
V

clarity4today said...

I'm happy to hear that you had a nice, and blurry, time. ;-)
Donna