Tuesday, October 4, 2005

The Vivi Awards - Nominations

~ For Your Consideration ~

Here are my picks for nominations in the following categories (partial list) of the upcoming VIVI AWARDS


JOURNAL OF THE YEAR
UNHINGED
-- Andi is an original community member.  First to appear on Scalzi's sidebar, back in the summer of 2003.  She's a recently divorced novelist from Indiana, making a new life for herself in the City of Angels.  Her entries range from profoundly emotional to insanely hysterical.  She has been nominated in years past, but this year she deserves the award honors.

LORD OF THE BLOG
TO GROW IS TO BE ANXIOUS
-- Hands down.  Anyone who doesn't know of Vince must be new to AOL Journals.  Visit him now.  He's the nicest, most honest, down-to-earth sweetheart of the community.  He not only has my vote but Hunny's chompin at the bit to get her own screen name to cast her one and only vote.

LADY OF THE BLOG
JUDITH HEARTSONG
-- Judith could be nominated in many categories.  A leader.  A warrior.  A sister.  An artist.  A healer.  A teacher.  A student of life.  She has overcome many obstacles and continues to make difficult choices based on her truth.  She is a community leader, having held her monthly creative essay contests consistently for over a year.  Her art is unmatched.  She is one of a kind.

BEST USE OF PHOTOGRAPHY
(SOMETIMES) PHOTOBLOG
-- Steven is an original AOL Journaler.  The best photographer on the web, in my humble opinion.  And by photographer, I mean, someone who knows the ins and outs of the craft, art and business of photography.  He continues to be one of my biggest inspirations as I dabble with digital photography.

MOST EMOTIONAL JOURNAL
THE PEACH PAGES
-- No one can write a true account of daily life like Tara (”Peachy”).  Always with a moral.  Always with heart.  And always evoking tears of compassion and tears of joy.  Many times they're tears of hysterical laughter.  She is in a league of her own.

MOST THOUGHT-PROVOKING JOURNAL
JUST ONE GIRL’S HEADNOISE
-- Pam is an original AOL Journals beta tester.  Having recently been diagnosed with lung cancer, her journal has taken a turn into the depths of her demons as she faces them head-on.  She brings us along on her journey to wellness.  A must-read for all.  Emotional, yes.  LIfe-changingly thought-provoking, definitely!

MOST INSPIRATIONAL JOURNAL
SUBSTANCE; OR LACK OF
-- Sharky is deeply filled with substance, never lack of.  She's a beautiful wise soul.  Art and poetry flows out of her seemingly effortlessly.  She does some amazing stuff with original photos.

BEST FAMILY JOURNAL
WHERE LIFE TAKES YOU... -- Becky has it all.  Family, photos, adoption, education, you name it.  She writes directly from the heart and speaks to the core of us. 

MOST OUTSPOKEN JOURNAL
THIS SUBLIME DANCE
-- Jamey (wessolo) - An actor.  A musician.  A baseball fan.  A political pundit.  He may not update as often as we'd all like but he's always got something important to say.  I don’t just visit his journal for a healthy dose of eye candy.  I learn something new every time I read his entries.

MOST WELL-WRITTEN JOURNAL
THE SOUNDTRACK OF MY LIFE
-- My choice for this category stretches well beyond her use of grammar.  Tara (pollysci) is a 20-something bundle of information.  I love her posts, whether she's expressing an important personal plight,educating us on current affairs or participating in Patrick's Saturday Six.  Her entries are all chock full of wit and intelligence.

BEST COLLEGIATE JOURNAL
Here's a category where I'm completely torn.  I cannot get myself to choose just one.  I must submit two college journalers.  Things just wouldn't feel right in the universe otherwise.
LIFE OR SOMETHING LIKE IT ~ LIVE FROM THE U -- Sarah’s journal has gone through a few incarnations.  But the one consistent part is her ability to open up and let her writing flow.  Whatever is going on in Sarah's life, she'll be sure to face it head-on.  A strong inquisitive young woman on the rise.
HMM... -- Mallory is an Early Childhood Education major.  I 'met' her when she was just a wee Sophomore.  It's hard to believe she'll be graduating in the spring.  I always enjoy her picture-collages of family and friends.  And anyone who spends all four years of college dedicated to learning how to teach and raise our future leaders deserves the utmost respect.  She's serving our country, our world, by getting a teaching degree.

BEST NEW JOURNAL
BY POPULAR DEMAND
-- None other than Mikethedawg.  Our beloved Carol.  Deep. Wise. Funny. And a little crazy.  Great combination!  I love this woman.  Clearly best new journal.  Just take my word for it.

BEST-KEPT SECRET JOURNAL
LOTUS MARTINIS
-- How is it possible that Gigi isn't a mega-superstar of AOL-J already?  She's brilliant, creative, witty, wise and beautiful.  Hello.  What more can we ask for?

MOST-MISSED JOURNAL
MY WASTE OF SPACE
-- Aileen moved to Vegas to be with her beloved and we never heard from her again.  She must be living a full and exciting new life with no time to return emails (and phone calls), because if things weren't right with her world, she would have thecommon courtesy to included us in her misery.  Come on Miss Aileen.  You've had a few months to get settled in Sin City -- now get back to blogging already.

MOST CREATIVE/ORIGINAL JOURNAL
ROBBIE’S RUMINATIONS
-- Robbie is an honest, tell-it-like-it-is kind of woman.  Her photos and original graphics tell a story along with the realness of her words.  She's strong and intelligent.  And funny as hell.  I still laugh over one of her first comments in my journal almost two years ago.  That woman has wit beyond wit.

~ * ~ * ~

NOMINATING :  To make things easy, copy and paste the contents of this entry into a blank notepad or wordpad.  Then GO HERE to submit your nominations for the 2005 Vivi Awards.

THOUGHT : Many journals may qualify for many categories.  In the spirit of this community, let's try to give each journal only one nomination.  For instance, Patrick's Place may qualify for the title of both, Lord of the Blog and Journal of the Year.  I would encourage you to choose the one category that fits best and nominate a different journal for the remaining category.  The idea here is to spread the love and have fun! 

(note: I use his journal as an example because he has disqualified himself from eligibility as he is the producer of this year's awards program.  Thank you Patrick.)

DISCLAIMER : So many journals.  And only a handful of awards.  If you are not mentioned in this entry, please don't take it personally.  And if you would like to be considered for these awards, don't hesitate to promote yourself.  You can post an entry like this one.  Or GO HERE for ideas on how to promote your journal and others.

FULL LIST OF CATEGORIES

15 comments:

luckyaugustgirl said...

Free~ Thank you so much for your consideration for the ViVi awards, Im planning an entry of my own to encourage people to vote.

You played a large role in my considerations as well:) Thank you for such an honor in your journal. :D

I havent visited Vince yet, but the rest ive all seen before. Great selections, great friends, great journalers....... its such a great thing to be a part of this community.

OH OH OH!! I was so glad to see Carol's journal up there! I was thinking the exact same thing! Shes one of the best new journalers out there.

Ahh i could say so much but these journals are all great, no matter how you slice it!

P.S.- Did you know that Jamey and I actually acted together in a play when i was nine? He grew up in the city where im from in Iowa, and we were in the King and I together way back when.... how is that for it being a small world?? :D

~*Sarah*~

xzasporated1 said...

YAY to Mallory!!!  Yay to Mallory!!!  I adore Sarah, and I agree with all of your choices, but I can't help but scream Yay to Mallory!!  A college category without Mallory and Sarah would just be wrong.

Great picks, Freee.  And you are so, so right:  spread the love.  There are plenty of nomination categories to go around.

~~ jennifer

viviansullinwank said...

Excellent choices  {{{{{Freee}}}}}}   isn't Patrick doing an excellent job producing the awards this year. I'm so sad to see his journal disqualified but I understand why he did it!  He runs a class act!  You rock  {{{{{Freee}}}}}!!

Hey has it been almost a year since you went to Boston...I was just thinking about it earlier...how time flies....and no airport drama this year!  Whew!   :)

Luv ya,
Vivian

luckyaugustgirl said...

P.S. I would like to second the YAY to Mallory!!! :D

Sarah

mallory4284 said...

whoa, I've never had nominations for muah...or considerations for nominations. Thanks, Freee!! I've really been slacking with my journal lately though. Let's blame it on being busy with school....

You've got a good list though. I've read some....haven't others. I should look into that.

-- Mallory

pollysci said...

Thanks, girlie--that was really sweet of you to say!

~tara :)

andreakingme said...

I don't know what to say. I'm embarrassed, but flattered and giddy and giggling like a boob! Great nominations, great recaps (I just love it when people explain WHY they choose a certain person). Makes me want to weep, the way you handled these ...

Guess I'd better get cracking on my own nominations now, huh?

::sniffa::

krobbie67 said...

"She has been nominated in years past, but this year she deserves the award honors." <--- Does that mean in years past she didn't deserve the honors?

Ahahahaha!!! My wit kills even me. ;-P

You're the best and now I'm feelin' guilted into coming out of the shadows to do an entry of my own. However, I'm afraid your suggestions may have tainted me a bit because I'm reading each one and thinking "OMG they are so perfect for that category" (Disclaimer: I did not think that of my nomination by you. Actually, I thought "Rats!" when you said I couldn't take the easy route and post one journal for all the categories.)

:-D ---Robbie

tillysweetchops said...

With this entry you've introduced a newbie to many wonderful journals - a gift and a joy. Thank you.

Tilly x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/tillysweetchops/Adventuresofadesperatelyfathouse/

judithheartsong said...

you are very kind Dear Freee........ every journal has something unique and special to recommend it, every person shares something wonderful with this community.
I feel lucky beyond belief to have met everyone that I have met here, to have a chance to share everyone's story.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!!!
judi

mikethedawg said...

aw...shucks...thanks love!

jcgeorgiapeach said...

Wow, that list is amazing.  There's really great journals out there and you seemed to have found the best Trish.  Thanks for including me.  I don't know if I am in a league of my own...maybe a padded room of my own?  Seems fitting these days.  Thanks for the nod.  It humbles me.  ~Peachy

ryanagi said...

Thank you! This was nice to find after a rough weekend. :-)

babyshark28 said...

Wow.
you really go all out!   quite an extensive list here. :)  and I have to say, thank you very much for considering me, one of the Most Inspirational.  Not really feeling it these day....but, I am trying!!  :D   Thanks again.   I hope your journal gets an award, i could put it in almost every category. xo

sepintx said...

Awww :-) I just try to have fun with the camera. Craft and art feels so serious but as long as it's fun, I'm happy!