Monday, October 3, 2005

Distractions and DoggieWorld News

A little discombobulated over here in TrishLand.

I've been trying to write for days.  It feels uncomfortable when words don't flow.  No music.  No personal journaling.  No public journaling.  No story ideas.  No scripting.  Nothing.

I'm forcing this entry -- for me -- because I want to write.  Not sure what the block is.  I know I have to roll with it.  I get so distracted lately.  I mean, ve.ry. dis.trac.ted.  The Internet is the worst.  TV is the second worst.  Netflix is the third.  And God help me get through this entry before I give in to this hankering for Ben & Jerry's Half Baked frozen yogurt.  I could easily suck down the whole pint to the hysterical knee-slaps of Airplane! on DVD.

Hopefully I'm getting what I need out of all this distraction.  Maybe my creative mind needs a break?  Yeah right.  Sure.  Let's go with that.


A small (but huge) update in doggy world : LUCY

 I've been walking this young, beautiful, strong, aggressive German Shepherd for about a year and a half. 

 ~ She's never been leash-trained or socialized with other animals because when she was rescued, she needed quite a bit of reconstructive surgery on her hind leg.  She spent 5 months of her life in a cast, immobile.  So she acts a little like a wild animal.  She's becoming more familiar with the boundaries and commands but it's a struggle to get the walking collar on her.  I have to be completely on guard when out on a walk with her.  Any sound of a dog nearby can set her off. ~

She would lunge, bark, growl and claw her way toward any other animal that would cross our paths.  I was constantly on guard.

On May 11, 2004 I wrote this in Journey to Peace:

 ~ The goal is to hopefully get her socialized so she can come to the dogpark with us every day.  I believe it's possible. ~

Today was that day!  One year and five months later.

I brought Lucy to the dogpark with us.  I only had a few dogs in my group (since I lost 2 clients in 2 weeks) so today was the perfect day.  I never let her off leash.  I kept her by my side, as if we were walking on her streets.  And she was amazing!  UH.MAY.ZINGGGG!

Her mom was so nervous that she drove to the dogpark and stalked us from her car (we didn't want Lucy to see her, thinking it might distract her from 'training'.)  She was thrilled and amazed by what she saw.  All the dogs were very good with each other.  Lucy wanted to meet everyone.  She even got excited and wanted to play with a few.  Her tail was up and wagging after the first 10 minutes of sniffing around.  She didn't growl once.  Not one little bit.  She didn't hide.  She listened to me.  She liked all the dogs - big, small, male, female, neutered and un-neutered.

I wanted to throw a party and scream and jump up and down.  But that could've put a snag on all our hard work.  The last thing a hyper dog needs is a ticker-tape parade.  So I did the next best thing, praised her with calming, low tones, a strong stance and a few assertive words, "I am very proud of you Lucy."

We won't be able to do this every day.  But I can definitely bring her with a small group on light days.  At least until we both get more used to the idea of being social together.  She's still too unpredictable.  But our training will increase as we run into situations at the park or on hikes.  It's the best practice.  This will be much better for her than a walk in her neighborhood.  She's worked very hard for this moment.  I'm so excited I could burst.

Okay, time for that frozen yogurt and DVD now.

COMING UP:
My picks for the Vivi Awards.
Monaco Music Mondays update.
Some cool linkage.

 

var __pid=3100;
Free Web Counter

15 comments:

pollysci said...

Congratulations! :)

~tara

gdireneoe said...

Oh    MY     GAWWWD!  You aren't going to believe what I am eating...B&J's Chocolate Fudge Brownie.  Mr. knows me well.  So sorry your muse is on hiatus.  Airplane works for you?  Hilarious, but I would chose Monty Python.  Let us know how the yogurt was...ya weaklin'. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

abell1999 said...

Congratulations on the break through. Some dogs are just hard nuts to crack and it takes months of patience to over come their hang ups. A year after getting Kady, my Aussie, I can now let her in the backyard off leash. Whew!

Julie

freeepeace said...

Thanks Tara! :D

C - The frozen yogurt was delish.  I think.  I'm too full to appreciate it anymore.  The movie was hilarious.  I haven't seen it in years.  I caught new jokes this time around.  One of the best comedies, ever.  Can you believe it's 25 years old already?  Now *that* makes me feel older.  How was your chocolate fudge brownie?  (that would've been my 2nd choice tonight.)

Julie - Yay for your Aussie.  I know what a relief that is.  A great feeling of accomplishment.

krobbie67 said...

The peace-mobile!!!! I love it!

And, Lucy, is absolutely adorable in that pic. Not to scare you but I heard this morning on the news that there is a doggie flu going around and that people should be careful having dogs around other dogs. Of course it's probably a pandemic along the lines of that human one a couple years ago, or mad cow's disease. They blow EVERYTHING way out of proportion.

There was one other thing but I can't seem to remember it. I've been really distracted lately too. Do you think Sparkletts has put something in our water?

indigosunmoon said...

Great news about the German Shepard!  Fantastic!!!
I've never had that flavor of Ben and Jerry's.  Sounds
absolutely sinful!!!
Lovish!
Connie

coy1234787 said...

                  Me too ... have not felt like writing since Katrina hit New Orleans .. it happened to be the same time I went to my sisters party store and the computer at her desk was open to my rain Journal and ... it's a big ol icon on her front page. I knew she reads, but never thought she might be reading and discussing it with others eek! Oh, don;t tell her I said so.
   Right now I am forcing myself to post ... I've resorted to giving a photo tour of South Florida.
                                                   *** Coy ***

andreakingme said...

krobbie asked: "Do you think Sparkletts has put something in our water?"

Lord, I hope so. Something good.

freeepeace said...

Hey, I'm not getting all of my comment alerts.  Are you guys/gals?  I get like one or two and when I visit my journal, there are three or four more than I knew of.  Trippy.  Fun though.  Like the good old pre-alerts days of AOL-J.

Robbie - I heard about the doggie flu epidemic today at the park.  I haven't done much research about it yet though.  Thanks for the reminder.  It's something to consider.  But I agree, it's probably blown way out of proportion in the news.

Connie - Oh dearest.  It sounds sinful but it's lowfat!  Gotta give it a try.  I'd recommend scooping some into a bowl first though.  Don't wanna do what I did tonight.  You wouldn't have any left for the other days in the week. ;)

Coy - wow, what a compliment from your sister huh?  And what a scary vulnerable place too.  Eek and Yay.  We'll take the tour of Florida anytime.  As long as you keep posting.  :)

Andi - What'd you have in mind?

luckyaugustgirl said...

Awww Yay for LUCY!! I remember reading that entry. Boy she has come a LONG way hasnt she?

Did i mention its so nice to see a full fledged smile on your face... Your gorgeous!

Sarah

geminiwilder said...

discombobulation feels so...discombobulating, doesn't it?

heh.  i think you'll be okay.   good for you and good for Lucy.

xo Phinney

alphawoman1 said...

Been there. I am feeling very uncreative and uninspired for several months now. Good work with Lucy. She is so cute.

judithheartsong said...

I am so happy for Lucy and for you. It is a good day, you have expanded her world. I know she is grateful and proud, and good for her mom too. judi

onestrangecat said...

I am so very proud of you and Lucy!!!!  You took your time because you just knew she could do it.  I know her mom is very proud also.

Kathy

sepintx said...

WTG Lucy! She looks wild happy in the photo!