Friday, September 23, 2005

Creative Zen Micro

Good thing I didn't join the gym.

At the beginning of the year, I was contemplating joining the gym versus buying a digital audio player.  Well, it's September and I haven't given the gym a single thought since that one week in January. 

It was such a fleeting moment that I can't seem to find my entry to reference.

So...

This precious little baby arrived this afternoon.  I was smart enough to ask a neighbor to sign for UPS deliveries.  No matter how I try to time it, I'm never home when UPS comes.  It's like they have radar.  They don't come at the same times each day.  It's hit or miss over here.

Anyway, a couple of months ago, John Scalzi posted an entry about his new audio player.  I liked what he had to say about the Creative Zen Micro.  Since then, I did some more research.  Here's what I came up with.

My reasons for choosing the Creative Zen Micro

1.  The name - Let's face it, anything with ZEN in the title sounds attractive. Ommm

2.  Plays more than just mp3 files.  Most of my music is saved as wma (windows media audio) since I use, you guessed it, Windows Media Player.

3.  It has an FM tuner, so I can listen to my favorite new station, 93.1 Jack-FM.

4.  It has a digital recorder for notes, lectures, concerts, spying.  It will even record the FM station I'm listening to - you know, if I hear a great song on my favorite new station.

5.  It has a 5GB storage capacity (2,500 wma songs or 1,500 mp3).  I have less than 500 songs in my library.  I can use some of the memory as extra storage for things like photos and word documents.  [can't edit, read or see the files. just store. still, good for temporary backup.]

6.  It was on sale - and there's a $20 mail-in rebate - over and above the sale price. (hello!)

7.  It fits perfectly in my little hands.

Next up:  a bike to cruise the path and sing off-key all the way to the beach from here.  Might hold off till Spring but we never know.

10 comments:

andreakingme said...

Heh. Hey! I got one, too! Yeah, I did, I did, I did.

And I can't figure out how to turn the horkin' thing OFF! Or for that matter, ON.

No, I'm not kidding.

This morning before I left for the bus, I had to plug it into my computer (the USB cord) just to get it to play music.

::sigh::

freeepeace said...

Sweetie, read Step 3 in your little instruction booklet.  It's got a hard drive like a computer, so when you power up, slide the power switch toward the power icon.  It's located at the top.  It's the only switch-type-thing on the player.  Also, to lock your keys while playing music (like if it's in your pocket and you're listening to music), slide the power switch toward the lock icon.

I'm still impressed that you got it to transfer all of your music on your own.

Read the material that came with it.  It's full of pictures and easy-to-understand, useful information.  [don't be afraid of the booklet.  it's in four different languages.  The first section is English.  It's over before you know it.  :)

txsguinan said...

YAY!  Don't you LOVE having your own little musical universe with you everywhere you go?  Don't you want to dress it up, take it out to lunch and call it 'Darlin'?  I do!

Now, if only I could get my little psycho to quit turning itself back on after I've turned him off....  :)

curvyanglintexas said...

I've been considering getting one of those -- maybe an ipod because I have 15 gigs worth of music just on my hard drive alone LOL But, I think I will still wait a while :)

Maria

krobbie67 said...

Hey, get the bike too. As soon as I figure out how to haul mine now that I have a different car, I'll join you on the path. Check out garage sales. I got my bike for $25 at one. I changed the tires and put a gel cushion seat on top of the torn one that is on it and it's as good as new. :-) ---Robbie

monponsett said...

Carrying the digital audio player around burns as many calories as the exhortations of the most priciest gym staff... and I maintain that it's Singing-Not-Crack that keeps Whitney Houston so thin.

monponsett said...

I was reading this page with my (blonde) sister, and she looked at me- I swear- and said "Pri-ZEN."

"1.  The name - Let's face it, anything with ZEN in the title sounds attractive. Ommm"

deabvt said...

Looks great!!
V

luckyaugustgirl said...

Would that be Mraz i see playing on there?? ;)

sargsandos said...

SO how DO i turn this thing off?