Monday, August 8, 2005

Time Flies

Okay, here's the deal.  I had a burst of creative energy last week.  I still have those projects in my tickler file.  But I've kinda been feeling sluggish and unmotivated.  I have great intentions to do at least one thing creative or productive every day but when I get home, I lose all interest. 

A major contributor: My hands.  They've gotten worse.  I haven't mentioned it in a long time because I am just sick of it.  I'm trying one more prescription before I break down and visit a dermatologist.  I'd have gone sooner if I had insurance.  Oh, that's another thing, my insurance ran out and I had to reapply as an individual/self-employed person.  Finances aren't so lucrative at the moment, so I've been putting it off.

Anyway, without going into too much gory detail, my hands are itchy, swollen, sore, raw and burning.  Sometimes they feel bruised.  Sometimes they feel like they're on fire.  It's painful to hold a pen.  I tear skin trying to open a bottle of Gatorade.  The worst: leashes.  Gloves help but still, ouch.  There's no relief - except for a mega dose of Advil and a nap to sleep it off.  And that's only temporary.

It's amazing how much pain contributes to (hinders) creativity.

Another complaint (look out):  Pain in my mouth.  I'm not sure if it's my tooth, my jaw or my ear but damn!  Once or twice a day I get this sudden overwhelming pain on the lower right side of my jaw.  My dentist checked it last week - with X-rays even - and couldn't find a source.  She drilled my oversized crown down, thinking that was causing irritation.  I thought it helped - till the weekend.  I walk around holding the side of my face like I've been assaulted.  I see the dentist tomorrow.  Hopefully she'll have another idea.

For now, Advil helps that too.  I just took some.

That's what happens.  I've been writing.  I've started entries to post but have gotten sideswiped by pain so much that I have to lay down.

I can feel it coming now...

So before I get too sideswiped, I should post this.

I'll be back.  I just really wanted to check in.

...

Hey, I'm back.  That wasn't too long (30 minutes or so).  I'm determined to get an entry in.

Moving along...

To keep myself entertained, I've watched a bunch of movies.  I'm really getting my money's worth from Netflix (finally).

I loved The Laramie Project and Miracle

A few I really liked:  8 Mile, Million Dollar Baby, The Italian Job, Dazed and Confused

Some I knew I liked but was reminded why:  Fame, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Slums of Beverly Hills, Parenthood

Some I couldn't get through:  Vera Drake, Torchsong Trilogy, Crash -1985. (rented the wrong movie), My Life As A Dog (subtitles. if I wanted to read, I'd buy the book.)

A surprise favorite is A Clockwork Orange.  I've been afraid to watch it because I had accidentally seen it when I was twelve or so.  I was babysitting and the family had that movie box channel (way before cable).  What was it called?  Starcase?  Showcase?  ... Anyway, for those familiar with this now-classic movie, you know it contains violent and disturbing scenes.  It was late at night.  I was babysitting.  I was terrified.  It freaked me out so much that I've been afraid to revisit it. 

Now that I'm an adult and can understand the context of the movie, I think it's really well done.  Enough to possibly want to buy it.  I'm even interested in reading the original book (with the lost ending that never made the movie).  See that?  I walked through the fear and it turned out not to be so bad after all.

Note:  just did a Google search on "Starcase" and found some info.  That, mixed with my own memory, equals this:  In Boston, there were two tv channels dedicated as pay-channels.  We had to get a descrambler box for each channel.  One channel was called STARCASE.  That's the one the family had.  Another channel was called PREVIEW.  We had Preview (I still remember the jingle when a movie was about to start:  previeeeww...feature-film!)  In between movie features, they would play music videos.  They played a lot of Pat Benatar - only two videos that I recall (before MTV remember).  That's where I saw Airplane! and Fame about a hundred times.  And Children of the Corn and Little Darlings.  Ahh,good times.

Other things keeping me entertained - ESPN. [I know, right?]

I forgot how much I love this month on ESPN.  The X-Games were last weekend (right here in LA).  I watched as much as I could on TV but missed a few of the events I love.  Luckily reruns are on all week.

Next week is the Little League World Series.  I don't know what it is, but the 11-year-old boy in me comes out strong in August.  My two favorite sports events - all in one month!

I spent the day with some Yakkies this weekend.  We drove up the coast, ate seafood, drove up more of the coast, drank Starbucks, drove back here and drank wine.  It felt good to connect in person with the girls.  I'm missing Carol.  When are you coming to LA?

Well, I guess that's it for now.  I hope to write daily.  But you know me, my goals and desires change with the wind.

P.S.  Our air conditioner was installed last week - when I say installed, I mean installed.  They cut the through the wall in the living room and made the A/C a permanent feature.  So it doesn't take up any window space.  And it's much more comfortable in here.  Yay.  Hunny's very happy too!  Makes a huge difference.

P.P.S.  Sorry for the lack of linkage.  I've gotta post now or this could end up in word-heaven with the other unfinished posts.

12 comments:

dimundntheruf69 said...

Look up TMJ ...temporo mandibular joint...I have this affliction...and try cortizone plus for your hands...hugs, christie

sistercdr said...

I am so sorry about the trouble with your hands.  With the dogs and the guitar, it must be murder.  Being without insurance myself, I know how you really weigh illnesses before going to a doctor, but this has been going on for so long, I feel like you really need to go soon.  Please take care.  (Momma voice off now)

alphawoman1 said...

Concerned that you are having a myraid of health problems.  Go to a doc for those hands, I swear I had the same things years ago. They had no idea what it was, but was able to treat it and made me aware the rest of my life to wear rubber gloves when ever I handle cleaning liquids etc. Good luck.

riverdaughter196 said...

I've been wondering how you were doing.  I'm sorry to hear about your hands.  Get to a doctor and get it taken care of.  

barbaramck said...

Honey,

Please get to the doctors about your hands, okay? It must be a bitch trying you walk the dogs, huh? Your Hunny needs you well. I'm hurting for you, ouch! hands and mouth are the first things you need everyday. (sounds like hoof & mouth in the amimal world, are you sure you haven't transformed? j/k LOL)

God Speed. -And, I've seen all of those movies and can't agree with you more.

(((((Peace))))))

Lubs & Hugs,

Barbie @>-------

stevendenlinger said...

Hey,

Thanks for dropping by my blog.  I appreciated the encouragement.

And believe it or not, I understand eczema, since I strugged with it as a child and teen -- a severe case of it.

I'm so impressed that you continue to write.

In terms of Agape, I haven't been there yet.  I hope to within the next few Sundays.  Have you been there?  Did you already know about it?

StevenDenlinger@aol.com

txsguinan said...

Of all those movies I've seen only 'Airplane' and 'Fame'.  Loved both.  Think it's hilarious that you rented the wrong 'Crash' ~ so how was it?   :)

pollysci said...

Hey girlie---eczama's no fun.  I know...I lived on topical steroids during one summer.  As for the jaw pain--go to a doctor that specializes in TMJ.  That pain is a classic symptom.  :\

And find a client who's a doctor!  Maybe you could work a bartering system for your services and his/hers! :)

~tara

derossetfamily said...

I love clockwork orange. But I love LOVE welcome to the dollhouse...it doesnt have a happy ending so its real, and its funny as hell. One of my alltime faves. Hooray for ac! I really hope your hands start getting better soon. Maybe you can get a free consultation just to get an idea of whats going on and what treatment options are?
~Mary

onestrangecat said...

So sorry to hear about your hands.  Even worse that you don't have insurance.  
Hope your hands get better without having to go to the doctor.
Yea for air conditioners!  

Kathy

mikethedawg said...

I swear to gawd I dream of LA everyday! Even watched most of the X games on TV. So...I may not be there in the flesh...but I'm so there. We'll catch up soon, right now...I'm processing. XO

deabvt said...

Yea for the A/C!  I hope you get some relief for your hands....So sorry.
V