Sunday, August 28, 2005

Checking in...

I promise to get to answering all the questions you asked.

* * * * *

I've been swamped with work - in a good way, you know.  Although they are not regular/every day clients, I took five new dogs to the park last week.  Trial run. Last-minute help. Overnight clients.  That kind of thing.  Very fun.  But also a lot of work to introduce new dogs all the time.  Keeps me on my toes.

* * * * *

I've been on the Dr. Schulze intestinal cleanse for almost two weeks.  Since I had started the Body Ecology Diet during that first week, it was a pretty easy transition.  I was a little surprised to find that the Superfood is delicious.  Even the black intestinal cleanse powder doesn't have a taste.  Added to juice, it tastes like...juice. Hm. Figure that.

Anyway, Schulze has a jojoba and tea tree oil tincture for eczema (and other skin ailments).  I started with that and supplemented with Cetaphil hand cream.  Amazing difference in less than a week.

Then I saw the dermatologist last Thursday.  She confirmed, "yes, eczema" and prescribed a bunch of stuff I haven't taken yet.  I'm afraid.  Antibiotics to prevent infection, Antihistamine for whatever allergen is aggravating my hands and a topical steroid cream.  As much as I hated to, I used the cream (she gave me samples).  That, plus the Schulze tincture and hand cream alone are doing the trick.  Well, and my "clean" diet.  Oh, and I wear work gloves when dealing with dogs now.  Makes leash-pullers way easier to deal with.

I'd say my hands are about 85% better.  Maybe even 90%.  Let's pray it continues on this path.

I actually played my guitar the other day with hardly any pain.  A few trouble spots - but band-aids helped.  Felt great to play and sing.

Speaking of...I'm considering booking some small shows.  I almost went to an old standby open mic last week.  But didn't.  Maybe this week.  Or next.

* * * * *

Last night I went to a huge benefit for my friend Rocki who has been fighting (and beating) cancer.  There must've been at least 300 people there.  Old friends.  New friends.  Silent auction.  Food.  DJ.  Art.  Drinks.  Everything was donated.  Very successful event.

Everyone I had a conversation with asked me, "So how's your music going?"  Even those I haven't seen in 6 or 7 years.  That was back when I was performing and doing open mics 2 or 3 times a week.  The first person who asked me about it caught me off guard.  Sort of knocking me back into a part of my life that I've drifted from.  I thought, Oh yeah, I'm a musician too.  By the end of the night I had a standardized answer.

* * * * *

Otis' human mom is in the hospital for a month.  She's has cancer.  She's doing well (we talked yesterday) but because her treatment requires a highly sterile environment, she can't see Otis till she gets home.  It's heartbreaking.  Understandable.

She asked if I could walk him yesterday.  Happy to.  Even more exciting was meeting her brother's dog, Kobe. (she refers to Kobe as Otis' brother.)  I got to walk both of them.  How adorable are they?!  I sent her these pictures.  Wishing her wellness.

* * * * *

Okay, off to walk more doggies.  I hope to get at least some of the questions answered by the end of today.

4 comments:

grodygeek said...

So nice you've got plenty of happy work.

Even better that your hands are healing and you've been able to play guitar.

Sorry your pal has cancer.

Did you tell the dermatioligist about your homeopathic treatments and their improvements? Did you tell her that you might not use her scripts? Its okay to be honest with a good doctor. I don't have an opinion as to which works best, I'd rather you got better enough to play. And that's it.

Its okay to eb and flow with music. Even Ani DiFranco has to take a year off. She's got really bad tendonitis as I understand it. Her playing style can't help either. Maybe the time off will help her write a ton on piano or something.

Hey! Ever tried writing and playing via piano? Just to get your jonz going and give your hands a break? Just a thought...

Gordy
the cycling curmudgeon

bridgetteleigh75 said...

Doug gets eczema too...especially around his hairline.  He's tried a hundred different things for it, but nothing seems to be especially helpful.  He just started using some Cetaphil face wash, and it's looking better.  

Parker had eczema as a baby...and so does Autumn.  Mostly on their legs.  Thankfully though, they seem to outgrow it.  

Otis is just too cute.  Reminds me of my Lacey Pug.  I'd love to have another pooch, but now just isn't a good time.  I just don't have the time required to properly care for one.  Not to mention...pet dander seems to trigger a bronchitis episode with me and my wimply lungs.  <sigh>  

As for your music...you know we're all anxiously awaiting a new CD!

Love,
bridgett

mallory4284 said...

Sorry I haven't been in a while...

Lovin' the dog pics and the new sidebar! (I want a sidebar that's cool like that...) Glad to hear that things are going well with the dog walking...even if you are "swamped"...cause at least it's in a good way.

Hope your hands keep gettin' better! I've had really, really dry cracked skin on my hands before (don't think it was eczema though...I don't think...) and it's no fun...

Anyway, just dropped by to say hey...so hey. Have a good one.

-- Mallory :)

krobbie67 said...

Yeah on the hand issue and on the turn out for your friend's benefit. Sorry I couldn't make it. :-( Big bummer on Otis's mom. I hope she pulls through with flying colors. :-) ---Robbie