Thursday, July 7, 2005

Scalzi's Weekend Assignment

Weekend Assignment #67: Bad Movie Marathon! Share your favorite bad film of all time. Tell us why you love it so.

Extra Credit:
Your favorite quote from the aforementioned film.

This is like a nightmare, where I show up to class at the end of the year just in time to take the final exam.  I haven't done a weekend assignment since, well, since the first one I think.  I just couldn't pass this one up.

In true Freeepeace fashion, I'm making up for lost time by admitting to two (totally different) favorite really really bad movies of all time.  In no particular order...

 

* * * * *

CHILDREN OF THE CORN - He who walks behind the rows

I am not a fan of slasher films.  Most of us know this.  But for some reason, I chose to watch this film over and over when it was on cable in the 80s.  I'm such a closet fan that I don't even own a copy.  I wish I had it just to see how really bad it is one more time.  Because truly, it's a bad, bad film.  So bad that I love it.

What's not to love?  Young Linda Hamilton and Peter Horton.  A bunch of adorable kids with no adults to tell them what to do (uh, 'cause they're dead).  A secluded Nebraska town with more corn than anyone would ever need.  And who could forget the little weasel-leader, Isaac and his half-wit goofball sidekick, Malachai?  Plus, it's a Stephen King flick.

* * * * *

XANADU - Now we are here

Roller skates, dreams and Gene Kelly.  I love the music and the fantasy.  It makes no sense to anyone who's never stepped outside the box.  But come on, this movie, as horrible as it is, is a totally rip-roaring fun-filled psychedellic trip.  Don't we all love the soundtrack?  Olivia Newton-John?  ELO?  They still rock.

I definitely need to add these two to my DVD collection.  You know, now that I've outted myself.

21 comments:

jcgeorgiapeach said...

Children of the Corn gave me nightmares....probably because it was so corny.  Xanadu...now THAT was a truly awful, wonderful film.  I still love the title cut of the soundtrack and what's not to love about ELO?  ~Peachy

pixiedustnme said...

Xanadu - how could I have forgotten that one?!!  http://journals.aol.com/pixiedustnme/Inmyopinion/entries/1180

kristeenaelise said...

OK so now I'm gonna have to rent Xanadu because I've never seen it.  I remember the song though!!

=) kris

andreakingme said...

Hah! I'm a closet Xanadu fan, too. In fact, after the movie came out, I think that's when I started driving Oogie nuts about roller skates and roller skating. And I also used to spend an inordinate amount of time wondering what would happen if I tried to leap into a bulletin board. (Would I enter a new world or just knock myself out?)

babyshark28 said...

I remember Children of the Corn....
but, Xanadu!  LOL!!  I LOVED that movie and it WAS
BAD BAD BAD
I would love to see it again ..... just to see how really bad it was. :D

krobbie67 said...

Oh great! Now, I'll probably have nightmares. Children of the Corn is one of the few scary movies I have ever watched. Now, all I hear is that creepy voice saying...."Mal....a....chi." :::shivers::::

Xanadu :::smirk::::

:-) ---Robbie

kathlyna22 said...

ah! Shut up! I loved Xanadu!
I haven't seen it in a very long time...
But Children of the Corn
way to freaky for me....
"Question me not Malachai"
ugh, that kid scared me!

Kathleen

miarenee24 said...

I've never seen Children of the Corn. Maybe someday...
Since you admitted it, I guess I will too. ...I liked Xanadu. There, I'm out. ;-) At least, I liked it way back when. When? Early 80's?

dragonrose637 said...

I've never seen either of these movies. I dont like Stephen King due to "IT" so I never watched any of his other films..or read his books.
http://journals.aol.com/dragonrose637/MyLife/entries/1477

gabreaelinfo said...

OMG, I was a teenager when I first read "Children Of The Corn." It scared me to death. Then I seen the movie and found it down right disturbing.

Gabreael

cousinoftrish said...

Okay, Xanadu - now we are here.  What about Meatballs?  "Are you ready for the summer"  or Maybe Jaws 3-D so you can yell at the screen?  I have seen many movies with you but I would have to say that those with Olivia were important during the part of your life where you had THE hair cut -- remember that?  The let's get physical look.

insanedazy said...

I love Children of the Corn....or anything by Stephen King for that matter.
Xanadu was so bad....I never could sit through the whole thing!

onestrangecat said...

Oh, I liked Children of the Corn.  Love my Stephen King.

Xanadu was a bad movie.  Very bad.

Kathy

derossetfamily said...

another bad steven king--Sometimes They Come Back. ::steps out of the closet:: I love that movie!
~Mary

txsguinan said...

I have never seen either of these movies.  The threat of hearing Olivia Newton-John singing the title track was nightmare enough for me...  ;)  

montaukny said...

{{Freee}}  "Children of the Corn" ~ I liked that movie, too!  Got in on DVD, in fact!  Can borrow it if ya' want.  Hmmmmm....wonder what ever happened to that freaky kid, the 1 in charge, Isaac.

~~Aunt Nub~~

mlw1456 said...

I just loved Xanadu! Even though I never understood the movie AT ALL. I mean, what were those roller skates about?!? And how on earth did they ever get Gene Kelly to agree to be in this movie? He must've still been under contract! As cheesy as it was, I loved it. And even now, I just can't get that tune out of my head ... "Xanadu ... Xanadu-ooo-ooo ... now we are ooooo ... in Xanadu-oooo-oooo-oooo ..."

deabvt said...

Yikes! Never saw either of these.
Yo, Hunny!
V

fdtate714 said...

Yipe!  Two bad movies for the price of one.  For every good Stephen King movie we get, we seem to get two or three bad ones.  

judithheartsong said...

ahahahhaaaaaaa! I LOVED Xanadu!!!!! xoxoxox, judi

teesbabe00 said...

Miricale Beach-1992

I loved this movie! It's a fun summer movie! It hasn't been on TV, so I want to go buy it! LOL!

I'll briefly give you the story...
A hopelessly romantic beach bum named Scotty has his life changed when he finds a genie-in-a-bottle named Jeanie. Scotty soon has a nice house, a sweet car, and all to impress the girl of his dreams, but then he realizes who he really loves- take a guess who that turns out to be!


~Tanya (http://journals.aol.com/teesbabe00/peacefulliving/)