Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Judith Heartsong's Artsy Essay Contest

Every month, Judith Heartsong, hosts her Artsy Essay Contest for anyone willing to participate.  She posts a subject and gives us about a week to create wonders - or, in my case, ponder and lag behind, thus missing the deadline every single month.

Aside from the personal gratification of finishing an assignment on time, by submitting our entries, one (or a few) lucky participant(s) receive an original piece of artwork created by Judith.  That alone is reason enough to participate.

Judith, along with her illustrious panel of judges, make the call each month.  What I love about it is, there are no rules regarding format and content.  So the writing is always unique.  Therefore winners are unique.  Anyone can play.  Anyone can win.

 July's topic:  Why I Keep A Journal

This month marks the 2nd Anniversary for AOL Journals.  It took me five days to do some profound journaling for this month's topic.  But it's the last five minutes of writing that truly express the essence of my journaling process.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Journaling for Life

Imagine a two-dimensional world without color.  A world where the fog never lifts and flowers never grow. A vague outline of potential.  A coloring book with only a pencil.

Now imagine a shade lifting on the morning sun.  It's a little too bright at first, but each day the shade rises just a bit more as a young woman gets used to the blinding light.

Add a little color, some glitter, a flickering candle,

a guitar, a drum beat, maybe a rattle and a flute.

She hums, strums and sings.

She starts to sway, move and dance.

Soon the shade is up, and she's out the door, with joy in her eyes and laughter in her heart.

Purpose

Passion

That's what journaling has been for me, long before online journals.  A window to the soul.

I could easily say I journal for myself, because that is ultimately true.  But what fun is a party without everyone else?

Enter, AOL Journals.

Inner babble once thought too shameful to expose becomes the norm.  Freak becomes chic.  One becomes all.

Validation
Reflection
Support
Encouragement

The collective cry of grief 

Responsibility
Growth
Epiphanies
Family

The profound strength of forgiveness

Creativity
Exploration
Friendship

The ripple effect of laughter

Life

I live to journal.  I journal to live.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

For past entries, winners, and prized artwork, check out the links below.

June Artsy Essay Winner
May's Artsy Essay Winner
April's Artsy Essay Winner
March Artsy Essay Winner
February's Artsy Essay Winner(s)
January's Artsy Essay Winner(s)

Thank you Judi, for your sisterhood in this community.  And Happy Anniversary AOL-J!

18 comments:

babyshark28 said...

oh. sooo beautiful freee. love the beginning...the imagery.  can it be described so, simply more, wonderful. :)

"Soon the shade is up, and she's out the door, with joy in her eyes and laughter in her heart.

Purpose

Passion

That's what journaling has been for me, long before online journals.  A window to the soul. "
perfect.

Everone does such a great job, and it's such a wonderful thing that Judith has started :D

viviansullinwank said...

{{{{{{{{{{ Trish }}}}}}}}}},

I felt this entry!   How beautiful!   I must also say that I felt a sense of pride after reading it to say that I know you...proud to be a member of this community with you!

Vivian

rollinghillsides said...

i think you just have a brilliant mind, and this entry just proves it to me once again!   loved it ...  

andreakingme said...

Aw, man. Wow! I love it. I read it while listening to America's A Horse With No Name and your entry and the music made me get all teary eyed. Very powerful. But just think ... unless you hadn't spent that much time thinking and writing about your entry, you would have never come up with this.

Them muses, they be tricky.

xo

judithheartsong said...

what a beautiful piece and I am so glad that you decided to share it with us. I am so glad to be a part of this loosely woven band of souls who take the time to care about each other, and I am so glad to know you. judi

gabreaelinfo said...

How nice. Judi is great.

Take Care,

Gabreael

kristeenaelise said...

Beautiful - you captured it all right there.

Thanks for sharing.
(I'm verclempt, can you tell?)
=) kris

deabvt said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!
V

gaboatman said...

A very creative entry!  Very nicely done!  Bravo!
Sam

babyshark28 said...

ahh. freee.
this is soo great.
it is clear poetry, how you feel about j-land.
it's so hard to put into words, but you did so quite
elegantly.
great job.
:)
"Inner babble once thought too shameful to expose becomes the norm.  Freak becomes chic.  One becomes all."
just beautiful, and so true.

hillareeday said...

You have expressed our little community so well and so creatively! Very nicely done.

krobbie67 said...

It reads like a poem. Very profound! :-) ---Robbie

mikethedawg said...

Now dats just perfect. Beautifully written!
Hola mi vida.

ladyhasflava said...

WOW YOU SAID IT ALL ...SO RIGHT AND TRUE..THE JOURNALS HAVE OPENED DOORS FOR ME TO SO MANY WONDERFUL PEOPLE....FLAVA

barbaramck said...

You've got a winner here!

Unique
Transforming
Kindred....

(((Peace)))

Love you
Thank-you,

Barb @>-------


debbted said...

I love the arrangement, the few number of words and great expression here! ;-) Sassy

http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysEYE
http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysWORD

txsguinan said...

I read through three times and feel like crying.  In a good way.

"Soon the shade is up, and she's out the door, with joy in her eyes and laughter in her heart..."  That is so lovely.  Sorry, but Jason couldn't have done any better.

I missed this assignment (of course) but if I'd done it I would have had to acknowledge the impact journaling has had on my life by leading me to beautiful, talented, creative people like you.  I too had a coloring box with only one pencil....  

Nicely done!   :)

thebludragoness said...

This is my first time to your journal. Great place.