Saturday, July 30, 2005

Commenting on Comments

In my recent Round Robin entry, AOL Journaler, Sassy, left a comment asking, "What camera/lens did you use if you have time to reply?"

Sorry I haven't responded earlier.  I wasn't avoiding the question, I actually don't know the full answer.

Here's what I know.  I take all my photos with a 3.2 mega pixel Canon PowerShot SD110 Digital ELPH.  I know very little about photography and less about cameras.  I absolutely love my digicam.  I carry it everywhere.  It's pocket sized and can take a beating!

I have it set to default on the largest photo setting (2048 x 1536 pixels).  No special lenses or gadgets.  I just point and shoot.  I snap a few photos from different angles and hope I got something useful.  Then I crop and resize in Photoshop Elements 2.0

For this particular shot, I disabled the flash and enabled the macro setting by making the little flower icon appear - stuff I learned from SloMo.  No zoom.  I don't always have a steady hand for that.  On this day, I had the camera in one hand and a leash attached to a big German Shepherd in the other.

Hope that helps. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Heat and No A/C

I've lived by the beach for most of my LA life.  There, it's practically unheard of to have (or need) air conditioning.  Walk a mile east and A/C is essential.

Granted, we are having record-breaking heat all over the country, but studies are showing that we should be a one-degree-hotter planet by 2015.  (sorry no linkage. do a google search on global warming.)  In some places, climate/weather could increase by more.  Glaciers are melting.  It may not exactly be "right before our very eyes" but it kinda is, you know?

Thanks to everyone for your tips and suggestions on how to keep cool.  We have three big box fans in the apartment.  One in each bedroom and one in the living room.  We leave them on at night, and it helps to circulate the cooler air.  By noon, they're basically blowing hot air around.  And the cycle begins again.

So, it's hot.

Our landlord responded to my pleas for help by informing us that a window air conditioning unit will be installed in the living room first thing Monday morning.  Yay.  Thank you.

It's going to cost us more in rent, but we can handle the increase, rather than buying an air conditioner and installing it ourselves. (could you imagine?)

Our next door neighbor (we share half a wall) was rushed to the hospital last week due to dehydration - just from sweating in his apartment for 24 hours.  The scary thing is, he's young and fit.  It happened so fast, he didn't even realize what was going on.  But he felt bad enough to call 911.  Good thing too.  They pumped fluids in him through an I.V. and brought his electrolyte levels back to normal.  He's okay now.  Shaken, but okay.

He took six showers and drank two gallons of water that day - but it wasn't enough to hydrate him.  He had already lost his essential vitamins and minerals.  Good to know. 

I was up all night, tossing and turning, fighting nausea, dizziness and nursing a headache.  I don't want to take any chances.  I've been putting Emer'gen-C packets in my water all week.  And we bought a bunch of Gatorade today.  Bananas too. 

More to come ... I'll share about the writers' blogs I've been reading.  And we'll see if I've made any progress on my list of projects.

20 comments:

coy1234787 said...

Be careful ... this heat is nothing
to play around with.
Yay for the AC on Monday.
        *** Coy ***

debbted said...

Thanks Trish! Glad you getting AC. A lil comfort never hurt the creative flow! Blessings, Sassy ;-)

indigosunmoon said...

I am so glad to hear that you guys are getting
an air conditioner!  Yay!  Until then keep cool
the best way you can!  Gatorade is a good thing!
Connie

starbelle2 said...

There is a point in dehydration where water doesn't work any longer. That must have been what happened to your neighbor.  Good thing he didn't lose consciousness. One time I fainted in a cold sweat in 115 degree heat and had to have 3 army blankets on me all day because my body went into a reversal of temps. It has cooled down up here in Silicon Valley. Hope it will be ok until Monday for you. Suzy C.

babyshark28 said...

Wow, your brain is hopping!  I can tell by this entry.

heat can really weigh a person down, suck everything from them.  I am not good in heat....not at all.  

your camera sounds cool.  I have a canon as well, but not an ELPH.  My non digital camera is an Elph though, I should dig that out again....it's a nice camera.  And I could put pictures into my photo album instead of my j-album.  hmm, just a thought.

yay! on the window air conditioner!!  :D

viviansullinwank said...

{{{{{Freee}}}}}

Glad you're getting an A/C unit!  Our temp should be 99 degrees today....I will probably be close to my a/c today! Unfortunately but fortunately sweltering heat is the norm around here so central a/c is also the norm.    Sometimes I think about the Western pioneers and wonder how the heck they survived getting around on horses and in stage wagons .....I would never have survived if I'd been born in that time frame!  YIKES!

Stay cool!

Vivian

krobbie67 said...

Dehydration! Holy freakin' crap! Had he been drinking the night before to exacerbate the problem?

Yeah to the A/C!!! I thought you guys were getting one for each bedroom??? That would be so much better. But, I only have one unit in my apartment and it keeps the whole place cool and I keep it between 72 and 78 so maybe one unit can do your place, although considerably larger, justice. Yeah!!!!!!  Maybe I'll have to come for a visit soon after the horror entry of how hot it was I was planning my next visit for December. ;-p

RE: Quit Date - It's a random date. I had been mulling over quitting ever since hearing Pam's news. I finally signed onto Quitnet and it asked for a quit date or it could select it for you. I had it select it for me. A month felt comfortable everything else made me panicky. :-) ---Robbie

onestrangecat said...

So glad that you are going to get some nice cool air.  So glad to hear that your neighbor is doing ok and that you are taking steps to make sure it doesn't happen to you.  Hope Hunny is keeping cool too.

Kathy

onestrangecat said...

PS have you heard from SloMo?  Is she doing ok?  She hasn't posted in such a long time.

Kathy

goldenchildnc said...

Yeah. Drinking two gallons of water is enough to flush just about everything out of your system -- vitamins and all.  Definitely not good for you.

It's been hella hot here too (of course).  I was standing outside, apparently inside the center of the sun, smoking a ciggy -- spank me, I'm bad! -- and by the time I was done my shirt was SOAKING wet! I can handle the heat, just not the the 400 billion percent humidity. Cooler now that we've had a few thunderstorms thank God.

mallory4284 said...

I never noticed, but we have almost the exact same camera. (I have the SD200) I've never tried what you did. I use the digital macro every once in a while (it makes for some pretty cool up close shots...) but I don't think that's the same thing you're talking about...because I have to be super steady to get a clear shot when I use the digital macro. Actually, if I'm not using the flash, I have a hard time getting a shot that's not blurry, so I always have the flash on.

Anyway, stay cool!! I don't think I could live without the a/c. We've had to before and it's not fun!!

-- Mallory

judithheartsong said...

I thought it was very interesting that AC is not as common at the coast...... Florida would have been hard to survive without it. Yes... stay hydrated and watch your electrolytey thingies. judi

derossetfamily said...

the thing with your neighbor is SCARY. We had a major heat wave last week. I missed out on it thankfully, and stayed inside the whole time emerging only at night for cold beer...hope you get that ac soon. And uh, what ever happened to SloMo? Do you know? I worry about her..
~Mary

derossetfamily said...

ps-- woah, you have post secret linked here! i love that site!
~Mary

deabvt said...

Man, no A/C...Terrible!
V

cw2smom said...

Freee, I can't believe our California heat this year!  At 4000' elevation we are on 22 days straight of temps in the mid 90's.  It's unheard of here!  Most people here don't have airconditioning, but when I built my house about 16 years ago, I put it in and I am so thankful that I did.  Usually only need it for a few days each summer, but this year it's been constant!  Hope you all survive it down there!  Lisa

ryanagi said...

Ah! I'm all caught up here again (and feeling HOT after reading a couple of your entries). Wow you got busy! Good luck with all the projects! Maybe you and Andrea will be good influences for each other (she needs to get back to work on that book of hers).

gabreaelinfo said...

It's really hot here in NC too.

Stay Cool!


Gabreael
http://journals.aol.com/gabreaelinfo/GabreaelsBodyMindSpiritJournal/

kristeenaelise said...

OK, I understand those creative juices must be flowing, but I'm withdrawing over here.  You doin' okay?

=) kris

krobbie67 said...

Are you on vacation and didn't tell anyone? ;-p ---Robbie