Monday, June 13, 2005

The New Adventures of Home Depot

OK so I've lived in LA for thirteen years.  I've moved twelve times since then.  Well, 15 if I count the transitional places and that one time I moved to an adjacent smaller apartment to save money.  That's a lot of moving.  For the average person, it accounts for at least one visit to Home Depot per year.  Obviously that's a lowball figure because it takes three or four visits per move.

What I've always loved about Home Depot is their 24-hour service.  I think that's the first thing an Angelino would mention about the greatness of Home Depot.  [am I right David?  Robbie?]  It's like a security blanket, knowing they are open all the time.  Not that I've ever gone at 2:00 in the morning for anything.  But it's just good to know I can.

I had a list of things we still need to get for the apartment.  And Andi's bedroom rug is due to arrive.  So I thought it would be smart to go when others are most likely sleeping.

Here's a clip from an actual IM between me and my roomie at 11 PM last night (as she says, "for posterity, you know?"):

Me:  home depot?  yeah? no?  i can't decide if i wanna go...

Roomie:  Are you SURE they're open?

Me:  yes, they are open.  24 hours.

Roomie:  Okay, I'm game if you are.

So at 11:15 PM we headed out with our lists, a chrome pole (don't ask) and Hunny in tow.

Pulling in, I was excited to see all the available parking spaces and the lights shimmering inside.  The doors were wide open and I could see the aisles were clear.

The young security boy sitting in the chair greeted us with a smile and some words.  I said hello and smiled back.  He repeated his words, "We're closed."  I thought he was joking.  You know, that old Steven Wright joke, open 24 hours, but not in a row.

For a moment I think I stood without moving, a little dazed.  Definitely confused.  I even looked around to be sure I was at Home Depot, even though I knew I was.

Meanwhile, Andi's laughing her good laugh.

The boy rattled off the store hours.  I thought maybe they only close on Sunday nights.  But no!  They close every night.  Can you believe that?  Every single night!  I can't remember his exact words, but I do remember him saying something about it being a couple of years since they've been a 24-hour store.  And apparently that wasn't good enough for me.  I asked about other Home Depot locations.  To his knowledge there are no longer any 24-hour stores.  [GASP]

Now both he and Andi were having a grand ole amusing time.  I was still in total disbelief.  I was tempted to call all my friends who still believe Home Depot is open all the time.  Actually, I'm gonna call David right now.  (well, after I post this entry)

How?  How did I totally miss the change in store hours in the last two years?  I guess all the times I chose not to go there in the dark hours of the morning saved me from actually noticing any changes.

Well hey, we learned two things about our town last night.  One: Home Depot closes every night - earlier on Sundays.  Two: Wine and beer sections are open every night - even on Sundays.

11 comments:

babyshark28 said...

Dang!  I so want to ask about that pole!  LOL

Well, I am sorry Home Depot was closed.  And are now closed every night at a decent hour.  It would be a comfort knowing at 1am and inspiration strikes, and you start to build....something.  The store would be open for anyone to go and appease(?) their desire.

You would think in LA, where celebs or designers work late into the night. It would be beneficial for them to be open so late.

You really need security at a Home Depot in California?  hmmmm.

babyshark28 said...

O
I forgot to say.
Wine.
mmmmmm.
:p

andreakingme said...

Ahhhh, it was such great fun. And really funny, too. Can't beat that.

olddog299 said...

Trish, I feel your pain. A couple years ago a Wal-Mart Super Center opened nearby -- finally there would be an all night grocery store again! Came the opening week and I get the munchies long about 11:30 and decide SWMBO and I would swing by Wally World for some vittles.

No joy in Mudville. Can you believe it? They had the audacity to open a new SuperCenter that is only open from 7AM until midnight! Who shops then???

So, dear heart, I feel your pain, truly. Now your downstairs neighbor will have to fantasize about something else causing the pounding he must have previously attributed to you assembling bookcases.

:D

wil

viviansullinwank said...

Boy as I was reading this I was getting excited about the possibility of late Home Depot shopping.   I'd never been to Home Depot before I bought the house ... so I was disappointed to know that they aren't open all night.  Oh well, at least you had a late night ride and got some fresh air  :)

krobbie67 said...

"What I've always loved about Home Depot is their 24-hour service.  I think that's the first thing an Angelino would mention about the greatness of Home Depot.  [am I right David?  Robbie?]"

I think I failed the "Angelino" test here. 1) I didn't know any of them were ever open 24hrs. I was getting excited reading this and thinking that there might actually be one open. However, by the end that bubble was popped. and 2) I've only been to Home Depot three times in the nine years that I have lived here, once was with you gals. I usually go to a small local hardware store in my area.

I wish there were more places open 24hrs. It stunned me when I moved out here and there wasn't 24hr grocery stores and Walmarts. Even po-dunk San Antonio has those. Hmmm...but I've also lived places where there were "blue laws" and whole sections of grocery stores were roped off on Sundays because you couldn't buy the items. Heck, I don't think they even sell beer and wine in grocery stores in S.A., at least they didn't used to. :-) ---Robbie

deabvt said...

Yikes!!  In L.A.??
V

judithheartsong said...

I love Home Depot, but usually contain my visits to somewhere between 9 am and 9 pm. You are so funny. xoxoxox, judi

mallory4284 said...

Dang, that sucks, huh?? I'm sorry about the Home Depot. That's sure disappointing....

At least you learned two things on your little venture. That's always a plus. And it's always nice to be able to buy your alcohol on a Sunday ;) (you can't buy it on Sundays here in Indiana...durn hoosier state!)

-- Mallory

mikethedawg said...

Just so ya know...The 7-7 closes at 8:00. 7-7? Ask your roomie what the hell The 7-7 is. It opens at 5:00 am...so the farmers can get their cup o joe and chit chat with ol' Hershel.

dockart said...

Wow! And I never knew they used to be open 24hrs. I guess I missed it!