Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Joys of Stress

If this is mild dermatitis then I must have super-mild dermatitis.  And still it's incredibly irritating.  Itchy, cracking, ultra-dry, swollen, painful.  There's no end to the itch ... except when the skin breaks and cracks.  Then there's no end to the throbbing pain.

I'm using jojoba oil and thanks to Aileen, I'm smearing natural shea butter all over my hands. (Aileen, I'll bet you had no idea what a lifesaver you'd be when you sent that to me!)  I'm drinking at least three liters of water a day.  Thanks to Gigi, I've slept in cotton gloves.  I was using Egyptian Magic for a while.  It helped a lot.  But hasn't quite stopped the flare-ups.  I'm going to stop using that just in case I'm having an allergic reaction to the bee products.  Who knows.

I tried using OTC cortisone cream.  But that seems to have made it much worse.  So, no more steroids for me, thanks.

I've done some reading and it seems I shouldn't use soap - especially the antibacterial kind.  Um, that's all I've been using.  So I bought the recommended natural castile soap.

I recently used bleach in my laundry.  I noticed an outbreak around that time.  I know I need to use natural laundry cleaners -- with no fragrance or detergents.  I'm extremely sensitive to that stuff.  Oh, I also started using a fabric softener in the dryer.  Apparently I'm not supposed to use that either.  Whatever it takes. 

I've never had such an outbreak of eczema as I have had these last couple of months.  It was starting to clear up over the weekend.  Really almost gone.  I was thrilled.  And one little stressful upset (think: couch) brought it back in full force, worse than before.  That's all I can relate it to: STRESS.

There are a couple more solutions that are suggested.  I'm headed out to look for those...even though this one clearly states it's only available in the UK.  Figures.  They have all the good stuff.

8 comments:

babyshark28 said...

I use Shea butter on my hands as well, I have very dry hands. But they don't break out like yours.
it sounds very painful, and I agree with all the stuff you should stay away from.
anything with perfumes added for sure.

it's nice to have friends to pamper and take care of you, isn't it.
no question mark needed. :)
xo

geminiwilder said...

poor freee. :(  seems you need the right combinations of just about everything.  

mikethedawg said...

I sent some ELIDEL samples out to ya today. It's steroid free. I also read somewhere that Witch Hazel helps with Eczema. You can find that at any beauty supply store and probably drug store.
I use ALL FREE & CLEAR laundry detergent. It's affordable and seems to help with my acne related sensitive skin.
Sunscreen...if you haven't already go with a PABA free one. I broke out severely with one containing PABA a year or so ago. Looked like tiny little whiteheads ALL over my neck and chest. It was narley.
I also stick to the DOVE bar soap. Once in a while I will try something new, but I will ALWAYS break out and so I'll go back to DOVE bar soap.
Body Lotion, I wanna say its phISODERM. I can't remember. It's fragrance free and for sensitive skin. You can find it at any drug store or supermarket. It's got a green label. It came to me dermatologist recommended. I can also tolerate Avalons Organic Lavendar lotion.
I should be getting paid for these "plugs".... from my sensitive skin...to yours with love.

alphawoman1 said...

Gooly Trish can I ever relate.  I had my first outbreak years ago and they Doc told me I was alergic to harsh detergents.  While at the Doc's last year for another skin ailment (I'm full of them) I showed him my hands and he said, "Psoriasis".  When I was in Ireland my hand was bandaged the entire trip.  One year it was so bad I had gauze wrapped over both hands. I looked like the mummy.  I went and purchased some knock off  Walmart psoriasis cream....and it cleared up almost in days. Not the week...and weeks.....and weeks...and weeks..of before.

kuhlhiggins said...

I have a skin condition too. The littlest sign of stress mine goes wild. I am going to a new doctor next week and am hoping he can help me. If not I will continue with the stuff I use. Glad to know that someone else has this also.
Love,
Kat

krobbie67 said...

Aw...I hope it hasn't gotten worse than when I saw it. You poor thing! Yah know, my friend's little girl has chronic eczema and I think she takes some kind of oral medication. Maybe you should check into that. Now then, no.....more....stress. Darn it! :-) ---Robbie

deabvt said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
V

screaminremo303 said...

I'm a little late, but I've had good luck with Bag Balm (kinda greasy and oily-smelling) and Udder Cream. I like the Udder Cream because it soaks in and doesn't smell or leave you greasy. Plus there's just something cool about using a product called Udder Cream.