Saturday, April 30, 2005

Packing - Volume One

Well, Andi and I have agreed on an apartment.  I like it.  It's bright.  It's clean.  It's close.  And it's available.  It's been quite a hassle -- and it's not over.  But it's happening as it needs to, I suppose.  We've paid a holding fee but nothing is definite until Andi's signature makes it across the state lines and I'm handed the keys.

Still, even if this falls through for some reason (which it won't) we have to move no matter what.  So I spent most of the day packing.  The best purchase I made -- boxes.  I've moved many (too many) times.  Never have I paid money for moving boxes.  I usually get produce remnants from grocery stores.  That makes for creative packing.  But these boxes are all the same size.  I bought 15 small and 5 medium boxes.  The medium are too big for me.  I assembled two but I'm returning the other three in exchange for more small.  I don't have much left to pack really.

I have two weeks worth of laundry to do so I'll have enough clothes to get me to the new place -- which has a washer/dryer in the unit, thankyouverymuch!  I've kept the essentials out -- bathroom and office supplies, tools, vitamins, food and coffee pot.  Lights are still strung.  But as you can see, I can't get to my corner lamp anymore.

Today's adventure confirmed my decision to hire help on moving day.  Sure, I could take a few boxes each day.  We're only moving eight blocks from here.  But I can already feel how exhausting that could be.  Instead, I'm willing to pay a couple of strong guys for two solid hours of their time and muscle.

I don't have a lot of stuff, but things add up.  CDs, DVDs, games, trinkets, towels, blankets, files, files, books, books, books...

One local mover told me not to fill boxes with books.  That's a mover's nightmare.  So I broke everything up.  Books and other heavy items only fill half of each box.  The other half is packed with lighter things, like clothes and towels.  That way, just in case I can't get help to move (or for some stupid reason, I decidenot to hire help), I can lift each box.  Well, I could earlier.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.  I can feel my body seizing up already.  It's been a day of activity.  Dogpark, pack, dogpark, pack, walk/play with the dogs, pack.  We're all pretty worn out.

I just received two new DVDs from Netflix -- The beginning of Survivor: Season 2.  Yeah baby.  There's no telling when I'll be back now...

P.S.  The above image is animated but it seems to be loading very slow.  Give it a moment and it should fly before your eyes.

13 comments:

sistercdr said...

Smart move to hire movers.  I'm married to a packrat and had to move three times in three years. It's just exhausting. We've been settled for seven years, and he's still unpacking some of his boxes, but that's sort play time for him.

coy1234787 said...

Good idea to hire the movers ...
love the animated photo!
*** Coy ***

bridgetteleigh75 said...

I truly believe packing is one of the worst things in the world to do.  Just be thankful you aren't packing for FOUR people.  ::sigh::  

Doug and I are in negotiations to move back to WV permanently.  So yea...I'll be doing this again too.  ::sigh::

I'm really glad to hear you found an aparment.  Pics, soon??  

Love,
b

derossetfamily said...

Exhausting! I've moved five times in the past two years (14 in the past 6), and I always swear: next time I'm BUYING boxes and HIRING movers. Still winds up the same old way......getting John to go pick up all the boxes and do all the heavy lifting, lol! Your move-out laundry sounds oddly familiar, as well. Anyhoo, I think it's so exciting you and Andrea are getting a place together! And the slideshow is tres cool...dont forget to rest! :-)
~Mary

krobbie67 said...

Wow!!! It's a month away and you're already packing. Anxious? ;-) Love the flash of the bicep pick. Almost seemed subliminal. :-D ---Robbie

sieblonde said...

I know it's been a pain, having to move too when you weren't planning on it.  But it's a great new start for both of you.....two new friends, beginning a new chapter in life.   ~Sie

babyshark28 said...

cool moving pics, I don't have dsl anymore, so they will probably stay slow for me.  But, that's ok. I like to really look at each shot....take it all in.
anyway...very excited for you guys.  VERY.    oh, the fun that awaits after the work. :D

viviansullinwank said...

Oh my I can so relate to this entry!  I am actually jealous of you that you've done so much packing!  I've done some 'purging' to get rid of some things that I don't neet to pack/take and I've got lots of empty boxes in my garage..I just need to start putting things in them.    

I, too, will hire help on moving day. When I moved 5 years ago I splurged and had the moving company pack me. I'm not being that good to myself this time! I've been driving out to the house every day to take a few small things. But since I don't have my window coverings up yet, most of what I've taken can fix in drawers and closets and the bathrooms  :)   By the end of next week I should have my blinds installed and will start taking more stuff.

Well, I wish you were here to keep me organized!   Good luck with the move!

digihouse said...

Alright!  It's happening!  Yay!  

I can't believe you're packing already.  Good for you.  How very organized of you.  (And how clever of me to be out of town....  ;)

Who needs the gym when you've got packing to keep you fit? And  I see Hunny's being very helpful.... ;D  

bookncoffee said...

Good luck with your move.  Looks like you are all very organized.
Sonya

onestrangecat said...

I so hate moving.  Thank goodness I won't have to move again-- well, I hope not.

Good advice not to put all books in one box.  I've done that.

Kathy

rhondashkfree said...

Hi,
In my serch for something new to read, I discovered your journal.
Good luck on your move.  I'm just glad I don't have to move right
now.  I found it iteresting that you dogwalk.  I own a female Akita
and a little Chew-WoW-Wow!  She thinks she is a Big BoW WoW!
I enjoed your journal,  Rhonda
http://journals.aol.com/rhondashkfree/TheDancesOfLife/

sunflowerkat321 said...

The best thing about moving is that you decide what you really want enough to bother moving it.  We haven't moved in 12 years...you can imagine how much junk we have.

I'm glad you found something you like close by.  I hope the actual moving day goes smoothly for you.