Monday, April 4, 2005

The Flu?

The pictures are from last week's mineral makeup tryout.  They don't really have anything to do with the entry.  I was inspired by Andi's presentation today.  (more later about the fabulous makeup samples - and other goodies - I received from Aileen.  But today, I'm sicky.)

I started feeling not-so-great yesterday.  But I was also ... um ... suffering in my ... womanhood.  Nothing a handful of Advil and a little nap couldn't cure.  But what about these other mysterious symptoms?  I drank some coffee later in the day to relieve my throbbing headache.  Yes, the one that didn't go away.  Now, what to do about this sore throat.  The aches.  The chills.

Well, I woke up this morning, moaning and groaning like a whiny child.  Uh-oh.  Sick.  My doctor wasn't available today so I was scheduled to see someone else.  No one compares to my doctor.  My doc rocks.

So, I waited to see this other guy.  Meanwhile, I weighed in (no news. still 10 extra lbs in my pockets).  Blood pressure and temp were fine.  Back to the waiting room for fifteen minutes.  I was finally called into an exam room, where I waited another ten minutes.  This gave me time to brush up on my Spanish translations of everything that could possibly be wrong with my body that antibiotics cannot cure because it's a virus, not a bacterial infection.

Enter:  Young, cute doctor.  Not quite like that.  Think: propeller hat and scooter.

So Doogie (D) asked me (Me) a few questions about my symptoms. 

Me:  "I'm achy all over, headache, sore throat.  I have chills but it could be period related..." 

D:   Do you work?

Me:  Yes...?

D:   Do you feel too sick to perform your job duties?  [he was perched with pen and paper in hand, ready to write me a get-out-of-work-free note.]

Me:  Uhh...that's all me doc.  A note won't do me any good.  I'm self-employed.  But...thanks?

D:   Hmm...Do you have a cough?

Me:  No.

He checked my ears and throat, then listened to my lungs through three layers of clothing.  Supposedly, good to go in those departments.  I mentioned my sore, dry nose.  But apparently he didn't feel the need to take a look.  [this guy's a mental genius!]

So, No fever: check
Clear lungs: check
Clear throat: check
No cough: check

His assessment was made.

D:   It's the flu.

Me:  Huh?

D:   Yes, and unfortunately it will get worse before it gets better.  Advil or Tylenol for the fever.  It'll help with your cramps too. 

Me:  Uhh...I don't have a fever.  And I didn't say I have cramps.

D:   I could prescribe something with codeine to help you sleep at night, if you have a cough.

Me:  Uhh...no,  I still don't have a cough.

D:   Okay then, you sure you don't need a note for work?

Me:  Uhh...no,  I'm still self-employed.

D:   Okay then.

Me:  As long as it's not strep or pneumonia.  Some clients were sick with both in the last couple of weeks.  I just wanted to make sure.

D:   Well, it could become strep or pneumonia.

Me:  Okay then.  So...what you're really saying is, you don't know what the hell you're doing.

D:   It was nice meeting you.  Have a nice week.  And take care of yourself.

Me:  Yeah, can I have a refund?

I want my doctor. :(

27 comments:

bettefan05 said...

OMG!!! Why do we PAY people like that? Bob next door coulda given you a better diagnosis!

pollysci said...

Grrrr... your normal doc should learn Doogie's bedside manner is lacking.

Hope you feel better soon----at least you still look good in your sexay makeup! :)

~tara

phlskygirl said...

Ay, probecita!  I'm sorry that you're not feeling well (and that I couldn't tell that you were whiny-er than usual).  Just do what the doctor told you to do (whatever the frick THAT was), and you're bound to get better(ish)!


Fourth photo from the bottom.  Album cover.  Seriously.

jennipooh3597 said...

Awwwwwwwww :(  Hope you feel better, Freee.  I hate horrid experiences with incompetant (don't have time to *really* treat you...) kind of Docs.  They blow.

Be well... and get some rest.

L, Jenn

indigosunmoon said...

That doc must have failed his
"How to treat your patients" class.  BIG TIME!
So sorry your feeling bad babycakes!
Feel better soon!
Lovish!
Connie

rollinghillsides said...

even tho feeling sick and "flu"-like is not funny, i always get a big kick out of the way you make your J entries comical.   at my age i've come to the conclusion that we all know about as much as most of the doctors out there, especially this "doogie" guy!  feel better very soon!  

yakima127 said...

Weird...all of it...JAE

kuhlhiggins said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. I just hate it when I go to see my regular doctor and someone else is there in her place. I know how you feel.
Love,
Kat

sieblonde said...

Well that bites.   I hope you breathed on him.... lol.  http://journals.aol.com/sieblonde/Pfft

bridgetteleigh75 said...

You so accurately portrayed this doctor...I could actually see the whole thing in my head.  LOL  Of course, I worked with these little twirps for years.  I swear, some days I thought I knew more than they did.  ::sigh::

I'm sorry you're feeling bad, Trish.  But damn...you look great in those pictures!  <grin>

Love,
Bridgett

jcgeorgiabeans said...

This is Butter saying hi and nice entry. Look at Debating The USA. It's a brand-new journal I just found.It's awesome. write me back on Buttery Talk(for kids).

lgasilk4 said...

poor thing, I hope you feel better.

dimundntheruf69 said...

what? He let you keep the three layers of clothes on for that upper respiratory diagnosis? Interesting indeed...!obviously not interested in females..Christie

jcgeorgiapeach said...

Gotta love the good-listening doctor.  NOT.  Hope you feel better soon!  ~Tara

andreakingme said...

Hah! I love the photos! I even waved at you because I'm nuts like that. (Didja see? Didja see?)

So. The doctor. Toldja you should have stayed the frick home! Meanwhile, I sure hope you're NOT feeling worse today when you wakey up-ee. ::crossing eyes::

mikethedawg said...

I'm laughing the hardest at Andi's comment that she waved at you...or your pictures. I smiled at you. Did you see that? Do you see me laughing my ass off about Andi waving at you? That girl kills me! Bwhahahaha.

So doogie huh...sounds like doogie needs to get some OJT before he starts diagnosing people huh. Wow. The flu...everything's the flu... Me...In my opinion, you have a sinus infection. Yup. That's my dx and I'm sticken to it.

trinainmobile said...

Ya know, anytime I'm having a rough moment...all I need to do is come and read your journal!  LOL!!!  You are one of the few who seem to make me break out in a laugh when reading your entries.  This entry is one of the best....lol

Be blessed.....Trina

onestrangecat said...

What a lousy doctor!  He didn't listen to a thing you said.  

kathy

wayoutdacloset said...

hi free its been awhile but i loved your pics..just wanted to stop in and say hello. ~berly

kissofvanity said...

I always get frustrated when i feel like a doctor isn't listening to me, and it's happened more than once.  Feel better sooooooon.

Ana  ((0.~))

judithheartsong said...

krikey......... I could have done a better job than Doogie and I have NO medical expertise....... just raised two children. I am so sorry that your doctor wasn't there to see you, and I would mention this uh.... unsatisfactory visit to him ~~ but then he probably already knows all about Doogie.
:(:(:( Feel better. judi

txsguinan said...

Oh, Dr. Doogie is a Quack.  So...do you have the flu...or not?  It's Wednesday now, so I hope you're feeling better...

The makeup looks great.  :)

mlw1456 said...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, Freee. Take it easy and get to feeling better soon! Peace to you, my friend :)  ~ Swirly

deveil said...

Sorry your feeling bad, I had it last week, my other half is feeling bad today also, I made him some homemade chicken noodle soup.  Get well soon!

Derek
http://journals.aol.com/deveil/CelebrationofMyExhistance/

You still look pretty even when your sick.

ryanagi said...

I swear...doctoring is more about acting, than actually knowing. If they ACT like they know what they are doing, we feel more confident. The doctors who can't act, have fewer patients. LOL

luckyaugustgirl said...

Certainly hoping your feeling better by now, make up looks pretty; :) Its been awhile hasnt it?

deabvt said...

Wonderful Pics!
V