Sunday, April 24, 2005

Backing Up Journal Files

Backing up my journal files has been something looming over my head.  I've put it off because I thought it was going to take a lot of time and energy.  To my pleasant surprise, I spent very little time backing up all entries of my one-and-a-half-year-old journal yesterday.  That's right, very little time.  In fact, it might have been one hour.  I now have html copies of every single entry (plus comments) since the beginning of J2P-time.

If you haven't done this already, please take the time to do so for yourself.  Don't leave fate in the hands of the AOL overlords.  Anything can happen.  A mistake.  A slip.  A server crash.  It doesn't matter.  It's like a safety precaution in case of a fire or emergency.  And it's worth it. 

The best part is, once you're set up for saving, it's easier than making a cup of coffee in the morning.

I'm sure there are many ways to do it.  This is my way.  Once you get the hang of it, you can create a system that works for you.  And please share any insight.  I'm always open to new ideas, especially if they streamline an important process.
 

1.  Open your journal.  Click VIEW OLDER ENTRIES.  Go to the very first month and year you created your journal.  Click on the link of your very first entry.

2.  In the main menu bar, choose FILE - SAVE (shortcut, ctrl+s)  [this will show a window of your computer files]

3.  Create a new folder and name it:  JOURNAL BACKUP.  Open that file.

4.  Create another new folder and name it the entry's corresponding month and year.  For example, Journey to Peace was created in September 2003 so my folder looks like this: 09_2003.  Open that file.

5.  Click SAVE (or, enter)

6.  Click on the next entry in your journal and repeat steps 2 & 5.


Remember, when you get to the next month, create a new folder in JOURNAL BACKUP to reflect the month and date.

For example, my folders look like this:

DESKTOP
     My Documents
          JOURNAL BACKUP
                 2003
                       09_2003
                       10_2003
                       11_2003
                       12_2003
                2004
                      01_2004
                      02_2004
                      03_2004
     [AND SO ON]

Once you have all of your entries saved on your computer, you only have to do this every ten entries.  Your main journal page consists of the most recent ten entries.  Even better; make it part of your daily ritual.

When you're finished, head over to Robbie's for another very good reminder about saving important information that you have uploaded to your FTP space.

AOL-J is a great place to be.  Let's do our share to keep it that way.  Don't leave room for error.  Doing this keeps the power in your hands.  Take responsibility.

var __pid=3100; Free Web Counter

27 comments:

luckyaugustgirl said...

If i may ask a question, are you suppose to click on your first entry and while you are in your first entry then save? Or are you suppose to get to the list of your first entries while viewing them and right click on the title of your first entry? Just lookin for some clarification.

Thanks
S

freeepeace said...

Hi Sarah,
As stated in number 1: "click on the link of your very first entry."
Hope that helps.  Good luck.

sunflowerkat321 said...

I hadn't really thought about doing this but now...after reading both here and at Robbie's,  I think I'd better find the time.  Thanks for the step by step.

derossetfamily said...

Wow, THANK YOU! I've been wanting to do this forever but was'nt really sure where to begin/figured it would take hours...I'm going to get started now! I got nothing better to do right now anyway.... :-)
~Mary

derossetfamily said...

Ok...for some reason saving the page isnt an option when I right click. I know how to do the whole process but it wont let me get there. I'll play with it some more. Theres an option to export to excel?? I dont know. hmmmmm, I'll keep tryin'.
~Mary

yakima127 said...

I will...thanks...JAE

bridgetteleigh75 said...

Thanks so much for spelling this out for my computer illiterate mind.  I'll definitely be doing this tomorrow night.  I've been worried about this for awhile now...especially after what happened to Armandt.  

May I e-mail you if I have any questions?

Love,
b

phlskygirl said...

Wowee, what a boatload of useful information!  I hope I remember to look it up once I'm all settled in Vegas.  If I do, I surely plan on doing it.  Thanks!

A.

slapinions said...

Thanks, it worked like a charm. I passed a link to this entry on to some of another journal I visit.

Dan

http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom

slapinions said...

wow, that was a poorly constructed sentence in my last comment. Deepest apologies. :)

Dan

babyshark28 said...

Good  Idea Freee, it is something I should do.
I was wondering about moving them to a CD?  Do you think that is possible?

It sounds labor intensive to someone like me, but still, worthwhile. :)

onestrangecat said...

thanks so much.  sounds easy enough that i will be trying it.

Kathy

boombie02 said...

hey!  thanks for the cool info and congrats on the recognition =)

i'll definately be back again!

~mandy~

punky5678 said...

Thanks for the info on backing up our journals it does sound easy. I also want to say CONGRATULATINS on being an editor's pick this week. Good for you!

s0ngbird1962 said...

Hey Freee, I haven't backed up my entries, but I have made hard copies of each one and have them stacked neatly in a box, tied with a ribbon...  Hoping someday my kids will get a kick out of reading my ramblings....

mavarin said...

I did something similar for March and April 2004 of Musings.  Took me hours.  What I did differently was a copy & paste instead of a save as.  (I also put multiple short entries in the same document.) It came out looking wonky, so I spent time fixing it, and also redoing the photos to get rid of the small size and the box around them.

I'll have to see whether your method is more efficient and still looks good, but I;m not hopeful.  I have hundreds of entries in Musings alone!

Karen

judithheartsong said...

while I re-worked my website Virginia spent hours backing up my journal onto disks.... this is a vital thing to do. judi

coy1234787 said...

Good idea!
*** Coy ***

csandhollow said...

The only problem with this is that you can only view online.

freeepeace said...

RESPONDING TO COMMENTS:

"for some reason saving the page isnt an option when I right click."
You're absolutely right.  Right-click doesn't work.  My mistake in the original posting.  Choose the menu option FILE then SAVE.  "cntrl+s" is the best shortcut.  Sorry for the confusion - and thank you for pointing it out.  EDITED IN ENTRY.

"May I e-mail you if I have any questions?"
Sure.  I think you'll be surprised by how easy the process is.

"I was wondering about moving them to a CD?  Do you think that is possible?"
YES, just like any other file.  They are stored where you determine.  If you've already followed the above instructions, just pop in a blank disk, select the BACKUP JOURNAL folder and copy to CD.

"The only problem with this is that you can only view online."
Not true.  The entries are saved as html documents.  

jeanno43 said...

Thank you very much for posting this.  So far I have tried a couple of entries and it is working.  When I have finished I hope to save them all to disc.  I do have some entries I have posted over the last few months that I would not like lost.  Better to be safe than sorry. Thank you once again.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/Family

sonensmilinmon said...

Thanks for the info - I've been wondering how I was going to save the entries.  I was thinking I would have to copy and past ALL the entries.  This seems much easier. :-)

Monica
http://journals.aol.com/photographybymon/Mamarazzi/
http://journals.aol.com/sonensmilinmon/SmilinMonsAdventures/

jeanno43 said...

Back again, well I do not know what I am doing wrong. I have saved my entries but find I can only open them up online. Any suggestions?

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/Family

csandhollow said...

I see how to open without going online. You have to open the file folder and click a link in there not the other link

promiseluv372 said...

wondering if you'd mind if I email you with a question about this.  I'm a bit computer challanged :)
~ Promise
PromiseLuv@aol.com

aims814 said...

Ah, very good advice. For some reason, I assume it will always be here. But I've heard too many horror stories. When/IF I have time ::sigh:: I'll get right on this. ;-)

Love you!

luvmort said...

Thank you for your advice.