Wednesday, March 30, 2005

When Ten Means Twenty

What does an AOL Journaler do when on hiatus?  No one really knows for sure.  We only know what we read.  However, I'm here to report the truth in Robbie's much-needed break from this Land of J.

I caught her on the phone the other day, scrubbing behind her fridge.  That's right, behind it.  She had started inside, then outside, then around the sides and well, you know how that goes.  A regular Pandora's Box.

That's when she admitted she should be doing the "ten loads of laundry" (ten loads, my ass!) that had apparently taken up longterm residence in her living room. 

Atta girl with her priorities!

The thing is, Robbie only has one washer and one dryer.  That alone makes even a few piles of laundry seem overwhelming.  She considered taking her stash to the local laundry mat to do it all at once. 

Brilliant idea!

But remember, she recently bought that fabulous sporty convertible Mustang.  I'm not so sure it's fit for even one laundry basket.  Okay, maybe one.  But certainly not the four boxes of bleach and detergent.

Meanwhile, back at my place...

I was putting off my own laundry that was overflowing and scattered around. 

I lug it across the alley just about every two weeks.  The anticipation of dragging it out is usually worse than actually doing it.  [and look how neatly it packs into these handy-dandy 99cent Ikea bags.]  As simple as that task seems, I just couldn't psych myself up enough to start.

So I thought, if we're both gonna be miserable doing laundry, we might as well be miserable doing laundry together!  And the PeaceMobile can certainly fit all of our laundry combined.  Of course, this was when I thought "ten loads" meant "ten loads".  We put the cargo area to the test.  Looking at the picture above, I don't think my car's ever carried that much cargo.  Not even with eight dogs.

Final Results

~ 25 loads of laundry -- 5 of which were mine
~ Three? Four? hours ?? [admittedly, I lost track of time]
~ Also lost track of dryer count -- started with 3 and marked them as our territory. No one dared cross me.  Robbie might still be there today if I hadn't fought for that last one!  But that 10-year-old had nothing on me!
~ Lots of laughs
~ Pizza and cinnamon sticks
~ Fun day with a friend
~ Clean Laundry

Totally worth it!


Still, I don't expect Robbie to return to AOL Journals anytime too soon.  This is just the beginning.  For all I know, the clean laundry is still residing in the living room.  Putting it all away is a whole 'nother task.  Especially since she'll most likely refold everything I folded.  I know, I know, towels in thirds!

24 comments:

rollinghillsides said...

ahhhh, funny funny funny .... got a good laugh reading about your fun excursion.  makes me wish i had a friend to do my laundry with!   i have to lug bundles up and down the cellar stairs (well actually that's false, they get THROWN down haha), my old knees don't care for it much, either .... thanks for sharing ....

sistercdr said...

A burden shared is a burden lightened.  There's nothing like laughter over laundry to make it go better.

geminiwilder said...

sounds - and looks - like a good day.  ::waving 'hi' robbie::

and, those huge blue Ikea bags cost only 99cents!?!?   wow!!!      ~phinney

andreakingme said...

Awwww! This is such a fun and cute entry, Trishy. You should see the kooky look on my face. You're such a good friend. And poor Robber-Bobber needs a good friend or two or eight.

Hey! Do you do windows? How about floors--as in mopping?!

phlskygirl said...

I don't think my local MALL has that much clothing in it!  Robbie, I can only imagine what your kitchen sink must look like (I do own a few hand tools, such as a chisel, exacto knife, etc... if you'd like some help prepping the china for the dishwasher)!  ;o)~

Oh, and Trish... you mean you DON'T fold your towels in thirds?
 ::gasp::

toadofglass said...

Maybe doing the laundry a little more often would help.

andreakingme said...

I'm laughing at your last two comments. Oh, God. My bladder!

indigosunmoon said...

Awww what a pal you are!  You can come
here and help me fold towels anytime!
Thirds, halfs...who cares!  LOL
Love ya!
Connie

earpatchgoddess said...

I'm laughing hysterically here...OMG Robbie...yup needed a hiatus to do laundry and clean out that fridge...I hear ya!
I'm just dying laughing...these pics are the bestest!

onestrangecat said...

thanks for reminding me, i have a few loads of laundry to do myself......

kathy

kdalton857 said...

I'm sooo jealous... Robbie never does laundry with her gay boyfriend...she just flakes on him to supposedly do laundry, and then ends up not doing it!!!!   wait... i should give her that guilt trip huh?

coy1234787 said...

20 loads ... no wonder she's on hiatus!
Great photos, great story!
         *** Coy ***


mikethedawg said...

STILL LAUGHING AT ALL THAT DAMN LAUNDRY... AND FOR A HOUSEHOLD OF WHAT...ONE...OMG! WHAT WAS SHE WEARING TO WORK LATELY?

BWAHAHAHAHA!

I'M SO JEALOUS THAT YOU GIRLS HAD A FUN LAUNDRY DAY TOGETHER. I NEVER GET TO DO MY LAUNDRY WITH ANY OF THE YAKKIES...USUALLY I JUST HAVE MIKE THE DAWG RUNNING OFF WITH MY SOCKS. HE LOVES SOCKS. ONCE IN A WHILE HE GRABS A PAIR OF PANTIES TOO AND THE BOYS FREAK OUT CAUSE "EW HE'S GOT MOM'S UNDERWEAR."
SO YOU SEE...NOT NEARLY AS FUN AS DOING LAUNDRY WITH A FELLOW YAKKIE.
GLAD YOU HAD FUN...AND ACCOMPLISHED STUFF. LOTS AND LOTS OF STUFF.

txsguinan said...

How nice to see that my friends have opened up a Chinese Laundry!  I am only a little jealous that I was not invited to play.

I have three words of advice the next time all this laundry piles up again...Let's Go Shopping!!  :)

PS ~ towels in thirds?  No wonder it took so long.  Always with the math...

judithheartsong said...

lord have mercy!!! Thankfully I don't own too many clothes. We have an apartment size washer and dryer which means you can wash two pair of jeans and a shirt at a time. :):) What a great day you two had together, and I need some of those Ikea bags!!!! Hugs to you both!!!!! judi

bridgetteleigh75 said...

Are you joking?  20 loads of laundry?  That girl must have a HUGE closet.  I usually do about 8 loads a week...and that's for a family of 4.  LOL

Well, at least you turned an absolutley hideous job into a memorable, fun day.  Good for you & Robbie.

Love,
Bridgett

lgasilk4 said...

and to think I freak out over 4 loads...God bless ya'll for going through with it. I'm sure it wasn't as bad with a pal.

ondinemonet said...

Trish :)

I need to blog jog more often...especially to come see you! You always make me smile!

Love, Carly :)

aims814 said...

I laughed through this whole entry! work doesn't seem like work when you're doing it with good friends! :)

Ew .. a reminder, I have a mountain of laundry waiting for me.

kathlyna22 said...

oh wow, even 5 loads of landry makes me queezy.
Glad you kids had fun
Kathleen

maidothemist said...

I found you over at Judi's journal.. and well.... I was hoping we could do MY laundry this weekend??  :) ~Sooz

mlraminiak said...

Who knew Robbie was such a clothes horse?  Lisa  :-]

thesamuraigerbil said...

WE have more stuff then that!

Tabby

deabvt said...

That`s great!  Hi Robbie!
V