Saturday, January 8, 2005

Winter Dogwalking

I've been meaning to update all week.  Something about the weather - and the season - that keeps me from hopping-to-it.  It's been raining every day for at least two weeks.  I don't mind the rain.  We need it.  And up until yesterday, the rain had been working in favor of my schedule.  I would wake up every morning to the sound of drips and plops (both inside and outside).  And by the time I got myself geared up to pick up dogs for the afternoon, there would be a nice clear break in the clouds.  The rain would hold off till I got home.  Nice huh?  I thought so.

Yesterday was a different story.  There were no breaks in the rain.  It was a steady downpour all morning, day and night.  There are three more holes in our ceilings and plaster splattered below them.  Pots, pans, vases and towels are spread around to catch splashes.  Remember, that's just inside!

I canceled the dogpark trip because the rain was just out of control.  Some of my dogs still needed to at least get a chance to stretch and mark territory.  I took Hunny, Winnie and Sparky for an ultra-quick, brisk trot around the block.  Along the way, Sparky had to slosh through puddles neck-deep.  She hates the rain.  I had to coerce her.  Hunny too.  She at least knows to jump over puddles and get to some piece of dryer land.  Sparky stood in the deepest flooded area of the alley and stopped moving.  She looked more pathetic than ever.  And if it weren't so damn wet, I'd have taken her picture.

Winnie, well, she's bigger, fluffier and more comfortable than any of us...including myself.  Rain seems to fall right off her thick coat.  Unlike mine.  I was semi-dressed for the weather.  But I wore jeans, which thoroughly soaked through my skin.  The yellow rain boots were my saving grace.  I had on four ... no ... FIVE, layers of tops -- tank, t-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, sweatshirt and a raincoat.  By the end of the block-walk, I was freezing from the heavy wet clothes on my back.  My head had three ... no ... FOUR coverings: bandana, hat, sweatshirt hood and raincoat hood.  The very top of my head stayed dry.  So, my feet and my head were dry.  The rest of me was wet and cold.  No one could tell I was crying.  I was kinda laughing too.  But just because it was so absurd.

It's expected to rain like this all through Monday.  I'm not working this weekend.  I'm happy right where I am.  Although, we had a power failure yesterday.  It knocked a lot of things off track.  So, the elevator isn't working in the building.  I was hoping to get some laundry done (you know, all those wet clothes and towels I used to dry Hunny).  But carrying that stuff down three flights doesn't seem appealing to me.  So I think I'll just take a hot bath and curl up with some DVDs.

Yes, yes, I completely understand -- things could be much worse.  I used to live in the Northeast.  I know.  It's bad.  It's not fun.  I don't know how NYC or Boston dogwalkers do it.  Then again, that's why I live here, and not there.  Every job has its perks and quirks.  And jerks.  But that's a story for another time.

Happy Saturday everyone!  Oh, and thank you all for the Hunny-Birthday wishes.  She had the best birthday EVER!

16 comments:

sunflowerkat321 said...

Cold and wet is not fun, but you've got to do what you've got to do.  I know Hunny, Sparky and Winnie love you  for it!!

That inside rain though....what a drag!

pollysci said...

Ahh, it's hard enough knowing you're gonna get soaked let alone knowing the dogs are feeling the same way.  Maybe they need some dogaloshes? :D

~tara :)

yakima127 said...

Rain, rain, go away...JAE

babyshark28 said...

my parents are in anaheim right now, in their RV.  And yes, they are talking about the rain too. :(

wishing you a few days of sun down there!

grofsand said...

the rain has such a wonderous sound!....Depending upon where each drop lands ...comes another unique sound!   Nothing quite like a drop hitting upon a tim roof!    What song was playing through your day?
Peace~~~~ Marc :)

indigosunmoon said...

Hope it dries out soon out there honey!
Big hugs!
Connie

krobbie67 said...

Movies and a warm bed has been my Saturday treat. You'd think being stuck inside that I would at least do a little cleaning but I need the rest after the crazy week at work. Like you said every job has its perks and umm...jerks. I think it's time for you to move. I sure hope you aren't paying the "normal" prices to live on that side of the hill because that place sounds like a rat trap. A nice looking rat trap but one none-the-less. :-) ---Robbie

geminiwilder said...

an old song comes to mind .... "seems it never rains in southern california..."  Harumpf!   and raining inside your house too!  that has got to go.  poor freee.  hope the sun is out soon for you and the puddle walkin' pups.  enjoy your movies.  

luckyaugustgirl said...

Oooh a spoiled day of bed and netflix! Lucky Girl!!! :) Weve had crazy weather too, a freezing rain storm last weekend and now we have nine inches of snow on the ground to boot! WOO HOO, we had such a warm December we should of known this was coming, but it looks like everything is LUSH and GREEN in your area! :) Keep warm:) and snuggle with Hunny!

Love~ Sarah

grassriver said...

I love the rainy weather - as long as I don't have to go out in it. I hope California dries out soon!
XOXO....Kelli

acarnell said...

the weather here in new england has been horrible lately too.....we have had sleet for the last 2 days!

ryanagi said...

Man it sucks when the roof leaks. Hope they get that fixed for you soon. Stay dry!

andreakingme said...

It's raining, it's pouring, my old man iz snoring. (Well, he does. And so do the cats!)

The sun poked its head briefly through the clouds one day. So THAT'S what it looks like ...

judithheartsong said...

You haven't seen Noah, have you? judi

mallory4284 said...

It's been raining here aaaaallll day. Not just sprinkling either. I'm talking about big, wet raindrops that soak you in less than five minutes. And guess who doesn't have an umbrella and got to stand in it forever waiting for the bus after classes??

Not fun...but no more classes today and no work, so I can stay in and stay dry!

-- Mallory

slowmotionlife said...

I tend to love the rain, but only when I don't have to go out in it too much.  I did my book shopping the other day in the rain and it was miserable.  Still... buying books, it didn't matter enough to make me go home.  I was in heaven!  LOL  [New books ROCK... rawrrrr!!!  LOL]  I've been watching on the news about the record rains in California, the landslide, all of it.  Horrible.  Such strange weather happenings lately.  People really need to wake up - something is out of whack, you know?  Anyway... stay dry, girl!  :D