Wednesday, January 12, 2005

SoCal Update

Ouch.  Shin splints-ish.  I hiked some dogs up paved hillside roads on Monday because all the parks are flooded and way too muddy to deal with.  That wouldn't be so bad but I had to do it in rubber boots.  Not so great for hiking.  I can hardly walk today.

The rain has been so intense that I borrowed my roommate's ski pants and jacket.  He insisted I'd stay dry, unlike previous days of drenched clothing.  I found out during the hike that while it was true that I stayed bone dry from rain water, I was soaked in my own sweat from the weatherproof insulation.  It's quite possible I could've lost this pesky winter weight if I had just been wearing this stuff all along.

The sun was shining bright yesterday.  The air was crisp and cold.  The winds were strong.  And allergies were kicking in.  Just a few sneezes though.  ::knock wood:: I've been weather-allergy-free for about a year.  Each year it gets better and better.  [still knocking wood and crossing fingers]

Southern California is getting hit hard this winter.  The death toll keeps rising.  I've never seen anything like it.  Topanga Canyon has been closed for two days because of that two-story boulder that just happened to land in the one street that leads to the west side.  And viewing footage of that horrible mudslide in La Conchita is shockingly surreal.  It's just ... ::sigh:: the power of nature.  Wow.

There's always one story in particular that has the same ring to it.  Always, without fail, someone chooses to ignore barriers and drive through their regular route, thinking it can't be *that* bad.  And always, without fail, that someone loses...in the most tragic way.  A woman's car got stuck in the wash in Pamona.  She and her three children were being heisted to safety by rescue workers.  On the way up, she lost her grip on her 2-year-old daughter who was swept away in the raging waters of the wash.  Rescuers found the body hours later.  She was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.  The case is under homicide investigation.  Ouch!

I have to admit, all the devastation puts my leaks and drips into perspective.  I've taken pictures but the holes in the ceilings, the water stains and the measly buckets of water just don't compare to what's going on in other parts of the city, or in the next county (or in other countries)!  I can handle a little rain in my apartment.  I'm blessed to still be alive and still have a home.  So much to be thankful for.

...'cept now I can't leave.  The power-outage last week tripped a few things in the main parts of the building.  Today the garage parking gate is locked shut.  There's no release button (like on a normal gate) but that's par for the course in this lovely hole.  So, our cars are trapped.  I have dogs to attend to.

16 comments:

viviansullinwank said...

{{{{{Freee}}}}}  it is unbelievable what's happening out there...and how sad was the story you shared about the woman who was in denial about how bad things were and ventured out  only to loose her 2 year old...that's so sad!

I'm sorry your cars are stuck!  It's fine being stuck when you want to be stuck, but when it's beyond your control like this, it's horrible.   I pray things are better soon!

Vivian

indigosunmoon said...

So glad to hear that your alright!
Lovish!
Connie

rgossett4195 said...

Yeah it's so true...I always count my blessing because there is always somebody that is worse off.  Glad you're alright. roseg

coy1234787 said...

    Rain rain go away. right? Geeze sounds almost as bad as the hurricanes here in South Florida this past summer. Take care, stay dry and feel good!
                                 *** Coy ***

http://journals.aol.com/coy1234787/Dancingintherain

diannevan said...

Your peacemobile is bigger than that puny little security gate, isn't it?  Wham!

gatorspictures said...

Trish, so glad to hear you are ok!!!
I was worried, didn't know if any
of this was in your neighborhood or
if you lived near...whew.
Thanks for the update, keep dry!! c

geminiwilder said...

Yikes, OMG! and OhNO!  

 

skootles84 said...

Hello. Like your journal. Hope you don't get too much affected by any mudslides. Stay dry!

krobbie67 said...

So that's what you meant about your gate...errrggg!!! Everything is a major inconvenience and the stupidity of that woman angers me to no end but I try to remain grateful because things could be ALOT worse. I think what occurred due to the Tsunami is much more tragic and disconcerting. :-) ---Robbie

ryanagi said...

All this wild and bizzare weather really has me wondering lately. What is going on? Hope you got your car out ok.

babyshark28 said...

Yes, It's all sooo scary when the world comes back at us.  Makes us all feel so small and helpless.
my parents are roaming California in there RV as we speak, Pamona - Anaheim.  Crazy. I have emailed, but haven't heard anything from them.  getting a little worried. :(
I hadn't heard about the Pamona incident until now, HORRIBLE. I couldn't even imagine....ugh.
take care of those legs!   your doggies and you need them :)

judithheartsong said...

I am thinking of you... and my loved ones in southern CA. judi

txsguinan said...

Do you remember that song ~

"They say it never rains in Southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before.
It never rains in California
but girl don't they warn ya;
it pours, man it pours..."

Or is just me ?   :P

aims814 said...

I'm glad you let us all know you're okay. I've had you on my mind after seeing so much in the news this week.

love you!

kathlyna22 said...

aaaah!!! I have shin splints right now too!
be careful in that weather
Kathleen

deabvt said...

Prayers, freee.
V