Thursday, December 9, 2004

Tying Loose Ends

House Cleaning
I used to clean houses part time.  It's hard work.  Our cleaning requests are basically standard minimum requirements.   I honestly don't know how people can do it for a living.   I believe in paying top dollar for a job well-done.  Many professional house cleaners aren't getting paid nearly their worth.  And some are being overpaid not doing nearly enough work.

If there were things they could not (or would not) do, that's totally fine.  But they "yessed" the list to death.  My roommate was home the whole time.  Plus, they had our cell phone numbers on that list.  When he asked if they completed everything on the list they said YES, took the eighty bucks and ran (knowing I was on my way home).  We used to pay them $100. 

My main reason for agreeing to hire house cleaners is to guarantee clean surfaces and a clean bathroom on a more regular basis than my own cleaning.  I've been busy enough with work to justify having someone else spending time clearing out the dust from the nooks and crannies.  So it's a huge let-down when I come home to a half-clean apartment and fork over my hard-earned money.

There's a heavy-duty, kick-ass laundry facility next door.  All that laundry can be done at once.  So it doesn't matter if it's one load or ten.  Other than additional time for folding and such, it's basically quick and painless.  My roommate carries it all for them (I help if I'm here).

All of you were right -- bathrooms were hardly touched. they dusted fairly well but cleaned around things (not even neatly).  bathroom rugs were not shaken.  therefore, floors were not swept.  same with the kitchen.  They didn't even try to fake it.  My leg stuck to the kitchen floor tonight as I was making room in the fridge.  Obvious things weren't touched.  Only half the bedding was washed.

They did clean the inside of the fridge and microwave -- in that skimming way. Plus, one thing they did that wasn't on the list is vacuum the rug inside my newly organized closet.  (no, that does not make up for the tub, shower, sink and floors I now have to clean before surgery)

No worries, Hunny's bowls were cleaned and fresh water was waiting for her when we got home.  One thing I know about these cleaners is they love dogs.  They have never been afraid of Hunny's nasty growls towards them.  It's me I think they're more afraid of. Grrrrrr...

Anyway, I'm over it ... for now.

Moving on...

Hunny's Oral Surgery
Hunny will be having oral surgery next Thursday.  My poor little one.  Apparently she's in some pain.  I've had to switch her food from dry to wet.  She's not complaining.  I wish I could've scheduled her for this week but since I'm having surgery tomorrow, I wouldn't be available to take care of her post-op, when she'll need me most.  Instead of removing the lumps on her body, we've decided to monitor them for a while and see if there are any significant changes in the next few months.  Pathology reports came back inconclusive.  Basically means they don't know if the cells are cancerous or not.  I believe she's healthy.  Actually, that's a unanimous feeling.  It's traumatic enough for her to lose a major tooth. 


My Surgery
I am scheduled for tomorrow morning.  I will spend a night in the hospital and come home Saturday.  I'm feeling very confident about the whole thing.  It's been quite a journey.  Three years.  Kinda trippy.  I never imagined I'd be so okay with this decision.  Yeah well, talk to me post-op when I'm drooling all over my t-shirt from nerve weakness.  Or when I'm tossing all night looking for a comfortable sleeping position.  Oooh, or how about that beautiful head wrap I'll be wearing all weekend!  Now that's gonna be some fashion statement.

Hearing my own sense of humor about it is really comforting actually.  I have been preparing all week (okay, a week and three years).  I've got friends covering shifts at the hospital as Freeepeace Advocates.  Cheryl will be there all morning.  She even made a whole big batch of matzo ball soup for my laid-up weekend (part of why I was making room in the fridge).  She even pureed the vegetables knowing I may not be able to bite solid foods for a while.

I loaded the fridge with juices and yogurt.  I ate all the chocolate and frozen yogurt yesterday (and some today).  That way I won't be torturing myself trying to eat it post-op.  Oooooh, I shoulda bought hot chocolate.  Dagnabbit.  Oh well.  I'm stocked up on tea.  I know, less exciting.  But more calming for sure.  I even bought battery operated tiny string lights for Friday night's hospital stay.  And three new DVDs arrived from Netflix.

I have no idea how long I'll be out of commission.  But I expect to see Robbie sometime this weekend.  Wait.  Let me rephrase that.  Since I'll be doped up, I expect to be seen by Robbie.  I haven't talked with her yet today but I'm appointing her as the J-Land Contact.  She should know what's up with me on a fairly current basis.  Check her journal for updates if you don't see any here for a while.  [um, is that ok Robbie?]

OK, I need to return emails and phone calls, clean, shower, do some girly stuff like braid my hair -- unless I want dreadlocks again.  I have got to remember NO FOOD OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT.  I'm notorious for guzzling water in the middle of the night.  Whoops, I also have to pack.  Oh no, I forgot to have my nose ring removed.  Well, that oughtta be fun.  Can't forget Survivor tonight too.  Yeah, I have a few more loose ends than I thought ... I'm out.

Peace all.  Thank you for your love and support.

P.S.  I've been receiving some beautiful pictures but I'm still waiting on some of you for my wall collage of JLand.  I know I mentioned it in passing but I'd really like to add your faces to my collection.  Keep them coming!

22 comments:

luckyaugustgirl said...

Good luck Trish, you are in thoughts and prayers and will check in with Robbie **if she approves, which im sure she will** to see how you are. Get well soon!!!!! And FYI- I LOVE TO CLEAN!!!! If im ever in California ill do that cleaning for half the money! Just let me have my good music in the background and im set.  :) Many good positive warm fuzzy feelings your way....

Hugs- Sarah

readmereadyou said...

Will pray for a good outcome tomorrow. All will be well. Thinking of you.....
Angela

mallory4284 said...

Good Luck tomorrow!! Hope you got all your loose ends tied up. I'm notorious for waiting until the very last minute to get things ready. Which means I always forget something....

Sorry about your cleaners. That sucks that the one thing they didn't do was the bathrooms, which I would say is the worst thing to have to clean. (which may be why it didn't get done?? hmm...) Hopefully they'll do better next time....

I'll be looking for updates from Robbie....

-- Mallory :)

ryanagi said...

Hope everything goes well tomorrow! Good luck!

kuhlhiggins said...

I hope all goes well for you and Hunny tomorrow.
Love,
Kat

s0ngbird1962 said...

(((Freee))) Wow, your surgery date came up fast.  Hoping that all goes smoothly and you have a quick and complete recovery.  Glad that you have friends around that will help care for you while you recover.  You sound like you are in great spirits, just know you'll be fine.  My dad had the same surgery many years ago....

Maybe after you are recuperated you and your roommate can start looking for a cleaning company that will honor your requests... You work too hard to pay for sub-standard service...

And do you want my pic?  : )

babyshark28 said...

I hope you get that cleaning thing worked out!  dang cleaners.  if you pay for a service, I believe it should be done better than you would have done it.  make sense?

good luck tomorrow! be thinking about you!!you have my picture :D

krobbie67 said...

:::slap upside head:::: I completely forgot to mention that I came across an ad tonight that I set aside for you. It's a cleaning company that lists all that they do on a regular visit which includes your list and then some. They charge $60 per visit (for 2 times or more per month). It does say laundry is $9 extra for up to 4 loads. And the ad has a coupon for $10 off the first visit. I'll bring it with me tomorrow, or this weekend when you are lucid enough to remember.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll keep everyone updated. I guess that means I'll have to suffer through my agonizing back pain and actually do an entry but.... I'll do anything (almost) for you. ;-) ---Robbie

indigosunmoon said...

Trish,
I'll be praying that you do well with your surgery,
and have a speedy recovery!
Love you bunches!
Connie

alphawoman1 said...

I'll be thinking about you tonight and all weekend.  

amyhschwartz said...

GOOD LUCK today, hope all goes well!
Amy

coy1234787 said...

Will be thinking about you today.
             *** Coy ***

andreakingme said...

It's 9:00 a.m. Indiana time, which means it's 7:00 where you are. You must be at the hospital right now and feeling little twinges of crazy anticipation-fear-let's-just-get-it-OVER-with. Deep breaths. Even though you won't read this until much later, you know that there are many people thinking of you today and praying that your surgery goes well. You should be feeling those zings right now! Oomph. Powah vibes for Trishy. You be nice and quick with her, doc, or you'll have a shitload of people to answer to.

{{{ Trishy and her head }}}

barbaramck said...

god speed trish! and be well hunny!! take care of eachother. <big slobbery kisses>

ewwww!!! the bathroom is the most important thing in my book. and so sorry about the kitchen floor. it's time to get rid of the "yes" people and bring in the "DO" people. good luck with that.

no worries okay? you'll be back to eating chocolate in no time *wink*

much love always for you and yours, barbie~

judithheartsong said...

I will be thinking of you surrounded by gold and silver light, gently suspended in love. judi

diannevan said...

Don't worry about drooling on your t-shirt...you'll be nekkid.  BTW, Cheryl is one hell of a chick.  Every time you mention her, I feel the love.  You deserve friends like her.  

krobbie67 said...

Just wanted everyone to know that Freee is doing great. Everything went very well.
:-) ---Robbie

gatorspictures said...

Yeah!!! Congrats, Freee!!! You did it!
A quick heal for you, hon! c

ondinemonet said...

Trish

Darlin...I am over here sending you psychic flowers and lots and lots of love. Feel better honey.

Love, Carly :)

grassriver said...

I'm thinking of you and your Hunny this week!
Take care of yourself and enjoy Cheryl's soup! :o)
XOXO...Kelli

rgossett4195 said...

Wow I used to clean house and I would never have the nerve to NOT do my job...no wonder the people got upset when I quit.  Roseg

deabvt said...

Everything will go great!
Prayers!
V