Friday, December 31, 2004

Christmas Eve Night

First Stop : David and Johanna's

I've been having much difficulty with my new/used cell phone.  It's on my list of things to get taken care of before I throw it against the wall.  Last week, I got a call from Cheryl.  I thought she said, "David invited us to the sweetest Christmas Eve dinner."  I was like, "oh, there's Cheryl all in the love, everything's so sweet and beautiful to her."  But I found out later she said SWEDISH, not sweetest.

Well, as it turned out, it was both!  I learned a lot about a different culture.  And actually, it's not far off from how I remember celebrating Christmas.  The food, the celebration, the music, the lights, the ornaments, and gifts for everyone.  The best part (aside from the new best friends I've found in David and Johanna) was learning about Tomten (Sweden's version of Santa).  He's part Gnome and Elf.  How adorable is that?  Perfect for their little tree.  I didn't want to leave.

Johanna dressed as Tomten (well, she tried - but now that's the vision I'll have of Tomten forever).  When we were handed a gift (more than one for everyone), we had to read the rhyme on the tag.  The rhyme gave a clue to the gift.  There's no way I could describe the fun we had!  New traditions all over again.

Thank you David and Johanna!  I'm looking forward to tonight -- games, martinis and maybe a little geek-talk.  I just adore you both!

2 comments:

grassriver said...

OMG - Swedish and Sweetest - LOLOL!
It's so much fun to experience Christmas in a different way - glad you had a great time!
XOXO....Kelli

krobbie67 said...

I like the rhyme thing. You'll definitely have to share that one with me. Pictures of Tomten too! :-) ---Robbie