Thursday, November 4, 2004

Working It Out

Well, the Music Wars continue.  MusicMan and I had a blowout phone conversation today that basically ended with the threat of him deleting all my work unless I come up with his specific dollar amount to "buy" my own music [half-produced, rough copies of eight songs mind you.  Oh, and did I mention it's MY MUSIC?]

I informed him that his number doesn't work for me.  And I made an offer that I was comfortable with. [even though zero dollars were ever to be exchanged ... again, for MY MUSIC]

Clearly, my number didn't work for him.

Dogpark goers got echoes of my voice roaring words and phrases like "crooked" and "per our original agreement" and "the next person you will be hearing from is my lawyer."  When he told me I didn't have a leg to stand on, I was sure to mention the written documentation (and many witnesses) of our work together - right here in J2P.

Oooh, there's so much more.  But I'm still holding out for peace on a wing and a prayer.  I told him it would be so easy for him to give me a copy of my music, clear his hard drive, take the hundred bucks I offered and call it a day.

There is still hope.  We'll see.  It's a win/win for him to take my offer...especially since it's more than we ever agreed upon.  How could he possibly think deleting my music would serve him?

One reason I don't want to pay him more than what I offered is because the figure he came up with is enough to start recording with someone more professional. 

I just want a copy of the work I did all last year!  It's mine.  It marks time.  Even if I don't use it for a production, it's still mine.  And I deserve to have a copy!

Boy, this has been one hell of a week!  Everyone I run into - friends, neighbors, clerks - all seem to be in this same state of BLAH.  There's no optimism.  We're all on edge.  I thought it was an election thing but I think it goes beyond that...deeper I mean.  The election is a reflection ... of whatever is happening on the deeper (spiritual/earthly/cosmic/Godly) levels.  Just recognizing that really helps me put things into perspective.  Finding that internal peace place is of the utmost importance.

The lie is that we are all separate.  The truth is, we are one.  Therefore, whatever's being thought by our most feared enemies exists in us as well.  The anger, the rage, the fear, the hate, the despair ... it all must exist so that we can know love.  Some call it God or Spirit.  Others call it Earth or Mother.  Whatever you call it, I'm talking about love.  That unconditional sense of support and trust.  Love above all is what we're here to remember ... over and over.  I've just been forgetting again.  I'm ready to start remembering again.

Just working it all out.  Day by day.  Breath by breath.  Thank God.

18 comments:

luckyaugustgirl said...

So sorry to hear about the schmuck that is keeping you from your music~ Hope he gets his act together soon. Sounds like you have a strong case to keep him in line in case he decides to be more of a jerk..

As for the rest of it, I think your right. Everyone is in this mood and ive been in mine for weeks,the election just kind of magnified it..... and once again you are leading the way to make us come out of it and be true to ourselves, and not sweating the small stuff. One day at a time... Thanks for putting it all in perspective......

Sarah

nikki247 said...

Wow.  It just seems bizarre to me that you are having to pay for your own work - I mean, I guess I could see it (although I have not read the whole story) if you wanted to go out and sell it - BUT - I did see that you guys had an original agreement, and it seems to me that since he is backing out of it - he is breaking the contract which I would think would entitle you to all of the work.  I have no idea since I am not a lawyer and I have no idea how the laws work with music - what I do know is that obviously this guy doesn't understand that a part of you is in that music, and you just want it back.  Even if you can't use it, you can learn from it - and grow from it :)  I hope everything works out, I will be checking back to see how it is all going :)

PS - wish you were here in Maine - I could use a dog walker :(  I think that they have a weight problem because they are pugs and even though I offer them exercise, I somehow think that it may not be enough :(

Nikki :)

ryanagi said...

*sigh* I hope you get a copy of your music soon, with minimal pain.

gatorspictures said...

I love how you see the love and hope in every situation, sweet hippie kindred. Stand true to what you believe is right, and you will be the winner in the end. People like MusicMan never win...

biteme4luc said...

get  a lawyer peace   music man  trying to bleed you  i have lesson to your music  and love it  music  man might someone  he knowns  who  can sign your songs   so please get a lawyer   chris

andreakingme said...

I say we form a posse and head over to the studio. Peace? Peace-schmeese! We'll show HIM what peace is all about.

I'm crossing my eyes, fingers and legs that this guy wises up and accepts your offer, hon.  

barbaramck said...

we are one giant organism who live, love, and sleep together. if someone steps on your toe, they step on mine; god i hate a sore toe!!!

good luck, much love, PEACE!! barbie~

babyshark28 said...

so sorry about the music wars going on... :(
the journey continues....

indigosunmoon said...

Oh Trish, I'm so sorry your having all these
problems with that jerk!  I hope it all works
out for you easily, and that you dont have
to take any further action.
Much love!
Connie

deabvt said...

Freee, I`m so sorry that this difficulty with MusicMan continues...What a drag.
V

mallory4284 said...

I'm sorry, Freee. Hopefully this will all get settled without the need of lawyers. It seems silly for him to not just take the hundred dollars. Something is better than nothing, especially since he shouldn't be getting anything at all considering the agreement that was made....

-- Mallory

p.s. off topic, but I like your new about me sidebar! very nice!

jcgeorgiapeach said...

Girlfriend, I know you know how we feel but I'll say it again...no wait, I can't use that language here.  But you know exactly what I'm thinking.  On your side all the way.  ~Peachy

heartsingr said...

How awful to not have control over something you created.  I feel for you, Freee.  You're right, this has been a bad week.  I think we all need to feel some love.  

~Laurie

deveil said...

Hey not sure if you've ever heard of www.radioio.com, check it out sometime, it's wonderful, you'd love acoustic, Zoe Montana (Webby) is a good friend of mine.  I'm sure she'd love to play your music online if you were ever interested.  

Derek
 http://journals.aol.com/deveil/PictureoftheDay

sonensmilinmon said...

This all just seems so wrong of MusicMan.  You shouldn't have to pay for YOUR work!  Is an attorney out of the question?  I wish I could do something to help you as I want so badly to see you with a new CD.  I'll keep you in my prayers and thoughts.

Monica
http://journals.aol.com/sonensmilinmon/SmilinMonsAdventures/

slowmotionlife said...

OK.. here's a lesson you might be able to learn from this -- don't deal with people on a handshake, no matter how much you think you can trust them.  You've been having trouble with Musicman for a while now, and he tried to pull this on you long before you even went on with some of your recordings.  Why would he let you record without a solid form of exchange?  I'm just sorry that it's turned so ugly.  I hope you're both able to work something out.  :(

krobbie67 said...

I'm so sorry that he has abused your trust in such a way. It's been one helluva week for you. For that I am sorry too. Keep repeating the last paragraph. Learn what you need to from this experience. It will make you stronger.
Hugs---Robbie

aims814 said...

Wow, this is heavy. The last paragraph.

It's hard for me to come up with a comment about musicman. Reading that just makes me so angry that he's doing this to you. There HAS to be something that can be done.

{{{love you}}}