Sunday, November 7, 2004

Return to Girlyhood

I survived my second Girly Outing of the year.  Some of you may remember my first outing last year.  I enjoyed this one as well.  Even though C. Caliente wasn't with us, she is the original link to this recent venture: MAKEUP.

Yesterday's appointment was a little daunting for me right off the bat.  We were going to get "fitted" for makeup.  That meant I would have to sit under bright lights with others staring at a place that makes me uncomfortable.  I have 'face issues' to say the least.  Blotchy, sun-damaged skin.  Oily underneath.  Dry on the surface.  It's just a whole big scary mess for me.  I wear makeup once in a while.  But eventually it messes with my skin's balance/imbalance or whatever.  So I don't usually wear any makeup.

Anyway...

We arrived at Lori Hart's house/studio.  As we walked up to the door we noticed just how enormous the building was and wondered which unit she was in.  Quickly we realized this was no apartment building ... it was a mansion.  With my soft knock on the door, Lori came and greeted us.  Very lovely woman - welcoming, friendly, naturally beautiful.

Off in the distance we heard little yappy yelps.  Ahh, the one thing about this experience that started to feel comfortable to me - dogs!  Lori called them down from whatever floor they were on (it did take them a while to get to us).  They spent most of the evening with us.  The dogs were just as lovely as Lori.

The main makeup studio was less intimidating than I imagined.  It had a warm, soft, back-to-the-roots-of-femininity feel.  Vintage everything.  Lori said women are usually taking care of others and her vision was to create a space that was a reminder of how women need to pamper themselves.  So everywhere we turned, there was some little expression of sweetness, beauty, warmth, femininity and comfort.  Definitely not sticky-sweet or supermodel-skinny-girly.  Very earthy, mature and loads of fun.

After friends, it was my turn in the chair.  Ugh.  Here we go.  I'd been taking pictures all evening so Cheryl was determined to steal my camera and have a field day.  I sort of felt like I was at a dentist's office.  My face all scrunchy.  White-knuckled on the arms of the chair.  Basically, a look and feel of terror.  After Lori applied a foundation and I noticed an immediate difference in the blending of my natural skintone, I was like, yeah ... have at it.

She went on to do my eyes, my lips and added some blush.  If I could've afforded it, I'd have bought the entire face.  At one point, I announced, "This stuff sells itself!"  This isn't just any makeup mind you.  It's made from all natural minerals.  So it actually helps rejuvenate the skin while you're wearing it.  [Hello, that's like telling me I can eat chocolate chip cookies, coffee ice cream and mashed potatoes all day long because it's good for me!]

Later, we went to dinner and not even a tiny spot of lipstick smudged my water glass or my napkin.  Around midnight, I tried washing my face and everything came off easily - except for the lipstick.  I swear, I slept all night, I washed my face again this morning, I ate breakfast, drank a bottle of water, I'm on my second cup of coffee ... and still my lips are painted!

I'll bet I could apply this makeup on a Friday night and be good to go all weekend.  Of course, I'd have to actually GO somewhere.  But it's good to know, I'd be good to go.

So add this to my Wish List.  Will it ever end?  Hope not.  It's too much fun.

Visit Lori Hart's website.  If you make an appointment with Lori, tell her I sent you.  With a referral discount, I just might be able to afford to buy more of her products sooner than later.  Then you tell two friends, and so on and so on...

19 comments:

caduncan04 said...

Sounds like you had a fun day! I love you and SloMo's journals!

ann7inflorida said...

EEeeek! Make overs scare me, lol. You look beautiful either way! ~Ann

magogos said...

Wish I lived closer-looks like a lot of fun! Margo

readmereadyou said...

I know the makeup......mineral that is. Great stuff and you look beautiful.

Angela

pollysci said...

Oooh, you look so purdy!  I went to a professional makeup artist once--it was so much fun.  I'm makeup challenged.  I don't experiment with colors or techniques. I wear the same makeup every day.  For Halloween, my roomie had to do my smokey eyes b/c I didn't know where to begin.

But, you're right, that makeup gets expensive.  Often times, they'll give you a color chart so you can go buy much cheaper versions elsewhere. :)

tara, the eternally clueless girlie girl.

krobbie67 said...

That's it! I am officially stripping you of the title hippy! Makeup? That's the last remaining assumption I had of you shot all to hell. ;-p

Glad you had fun. I might just have to checky this woman out. Her facials aren't too badly priced. Do they include the make-up lesson or is that extra? :-) ---Robbie

babyshark28 said...

ahhh. something I do love, makeup. I would like to be a cosmotoligist.  But, who knows....
and who says, "I can eat chocolate chip cookies, coffee ice cream and mashed potatoes all day long because it's good for me!" isn't good for you.  Because it really IS good for you, it's soul food ya know. :P

and girl, you are one hot lady, with makeup or without. :D

deveil said...

you look marvelous.  Beautiful with or without the makeup.

D
http://journals.aol.com/deveil/CelebrationofMyExhistance

aims814 said...

Beautiful, darlin'!

Thanks for the link! I'll have to check it out.

ps: I'm baaaaack! Modem issues, resolved ~ yay!

ryanagi said...

You look fab! Her pups are adorable too. I had a neighbor who had two maltese females. I had dreams of toting one around in a big purse myself, one day. LOL That ship has sailed.

judithheartsong said...

sounds wonderful. I have quit wearing make-up since leaving my old life. I loved your entry. judi

andreakingme said...

Well, I'm a fan of anything that can make a girl feel better about herself. And you look beautiful! I love the close-up of your ears and your nose ring! LOL.

I'd love to wear a nose ring to Thanksgiving dinner this year. I can picture the looks of shock right now ...

So Lori Hart must make a ton of money selling makeup, huh? Holy cow. I'd love to have a beautiful house, er MANSION, filled with "expressions of sweetness, beauty, warmth, femininity and comfort." (I'd want a maid, too, dammit.) Right now I have to make do with odds and ends and cat hair.

Oh, the indignity.


ondinemonet said...

Trish :)

I am smiling large over hear becuase there is NOTHING like a day spent doing girlie things. :)

Always, Carly :)

andreakingme said...

Hey.

I just came back here to see if you'd updated. And I read the comments here to see if you ... MAYBE ... responded. (I'm just weird that way. Don't mind me. Really!)

And, well, I re-read MY comment and saw that I'd talked about your EARS! (WTF?)

Otherwise, I'm quite normal.

indigosunmoon said...

I can't wear makeup either, but this stuff
sounds really good!!!!
Glad you had a fun day.  Love the pics!!
Lovish!
Connie

geminiwilder said...

aw, that looks like fun!  and i think andrea means EYES, your eyes, not ears!  teehee!

 i'm going to have a lookie-see at her site too!

             

coy1234787 said...

Love the girly pictures:-)
The makeup looks great, I wonder how
different it is than Bare Minerals?
*** Coy ***            

kathlyna22 said...

oooh lady you are purty!
Kathleen

diannevan said...

I use one of those "permanent" lipsticks, too.  I use either Loreal's LipFinity  or Cover Girl's Outlast.  They survive coffee, kisses and even my bad habit (still not telling).  And best of all, no ugly lipstick lines on cups!