Monday, November 1, 2004

BowWowWeen

Hunny and I met Cheryl, Jennifer and Roshi at the Brentwood Dogpark for the 3rd Annual BowWowWeen event sponsored by Much Love Pet Adoption.  It was a bigger event than I was expecting.  Many adoption and retail booths, an agility training course, a silent auction, a cat cemetery, even a doggie haunted alley.  Hunny went through on her own, twice.  By the end of our visit when she wanted to go again, I suddenly felt like a true parent, "Come along now Hunny. Let others have a chance. OK, just one more time."

One of the main events was the costume contest.  Yes, doggies in costumes.  I have mixed feelings about all that.  While many of them look cute in their BowWowWeen Costumes, it's just the kind of thing that borders on abuse.  I mean, it's not like the dog said, "Oooh, this year I want to be a Ninja Turtle!"  A lot can be learned about doggie parents at this time of year.  Adults as well as kids were dressed like their pets. One 14-year-old dog was dressed as an 'aging bride'.  Her mother said, "She's keeping the faith for all of us." ... Really?  For all of us?  Hmmm ...

Personally I think Roshi (pictured above) had the best costume of all.  We told everyone he's really a Pitbull in a Pomeranian costume.  He pulls it off really well, don't ya think?  I wonder if that ballerina-pug knew what she was getting herself into.

Hunny spent most of her time standing back and letting the others make fools of themselves.  There were a few moments I caught her laughing and pointing at some of her peers.  Still, she got a lot of attention.  She's so damn cute she doesn't even need a costume.

We chose to go on the early end of the event.  I was concerned about traffic, parking and crowds in general.  We wanted to miss the celebrity judges.  We timed it just perfectly too.  As we were leaving, Tori Spelling and her dog were drawing a small crowd.

Lots of photographers, reporters, etc. were all over the place.  So I imagine there will be something in the local papers tomorrow.  But, ew. The thought of putting my pup on the runway for a costume contest turns my stomach a little.  Yet, I'm sure if I were there for the judging, it wouldn't take long for me to kill my camera battery and fill the memory card.  You know what that's like...you don't wanna watch, but you can't not look.

There is only one dog I saw this week who looked totally excited to be in costume.  Winnie.  When I arrived to pick her up Friday for the dogpark, she came running to me, all excited to show off her princess attire.  Just look at the joy on her face.  Precious!

No, she did not wear any of that to the dogpark Friday.  She wanted to.  Believe me.  I took a bunch of pictures and was like, "awww, cute. now take it off so you can get good and muddy."

Hope everyone had a fun Halloween weekend!

18 comments:

jennipooh3597 said...

Sometimes, I really wish I had the time for a dog.  I think I should stick with a guinea pig for the time being :)  I really hope you got some non-dairy creamer, by the way!  (just how do they make rice milk?  This intrigues me!)  Jenn

babyshark28 said...

awww, so cute!
I didn't realize there was this much out there, for dogs.
how very nice.
I am sure the dogs loved just being with other dogs.
probably saying things to eachother like...
"This is really nice, but, where do I get to pee!"
LOL!
okay, it's late and I don't know what I am saying....
:P

s0ngbird1962 said...

Wow, there's nothing remotely like this for dogs around here.... I don't think it's abusive, but my dog would never let me dress her.  We tried putting antler's on her one year for Christmas pics, but she pulled them right off....So I put them on the toddler, lol.

Princess Qwen-winnie-vere is too cute... : )

ryanagi said...

Aww! The princess pup is so adorable! I have mixed feelings about dressing up pets too. But sometimes you just have to laugh at how funny/cute they look.

ann7inflorida said...

Winnie looks like she went to doggy Glamour Shots. (lol...sorry..couldn't resist.)  It sounds like a very fun day. I agree with your views on dressing up animals.~Ann : )

readmereadyou said...

I love the doggie in the purple. I must admit. ADORABLE.

Angela

ondinemonet said...

Trish :)

Adorable. Elvis went trick or treating as a BUG. Tee Hee. Great entry!

Love, Carly :)

aims814 said...

I loved the pics! Stephen had a fit when he saw these! =D You know how he loves doggies.

Glad y'all had a nice time!

Love you!

kathlyna22 said...

oh my god this entry was so cute I could cry!
My pug nosed pup dressed up like a bumble bee, and for some reason, he loves putting it on...it may be an everyday thing now...who knows!
Kathleen

luckyaugustgirl said...

The princess puppy is the cutest thing ive ever seen.... and hunny looks like shes grown a little bit! :) Winnie has an infectious smile! :) Sounds like such a fun day! Glad you had a great time......:)
Sarah

freeepeace said...

SHARKY - Yes, it seemed the dogs loved being with other dogs - but they wouldn't ask about where to pee...they'd just pee. ;)

JENNIPOOH - Hard to imagine a leash on a guinea pig. ;)  Rice milk is made of ... um ... rice.  See products like Rice Dream.  I'm not sure of the exact process but it's really good in cereal or tea.  It's all I've been using for the last 10 yrs or so.  Almond milk is good toom YUM.

MICHELLE - There's a lot around here that isn't found anywhere near your area.  Antlers on a dog - reminds me of The Grinch.  Awww...lol.

ANN - Does that mean I could work for Glamour Shots?  Probably not.  I still don't know how to use the zoom lens effectively.

freeepeace said...

ANGELA - I love that picture of her too.  She's always adorable - but the princess attire really suits her (and she knows it - she wears it well).

CARLY - Elvis as a BUG eh?  Did he score lots of treats?

MIA - Aww, I love that Stephen appreciates my doggie photos.  Y'all should come visit so he can meet them face to face! Love you too! xo

KATHLEEN - Ha!  Aww, your pugger is like a kid with a new favorite outfit.  

SARAH - You think Hunny's grown?  Must be all the extra treats we've been giving her.  She does have a good sized pot belly these days.  I figure, she's almost TEN.  She deserves to live a little.  Greenies, bones, chicken, more Greenies, carrots, more bones, eggs, cheese, more Greenies and bones.  Luckily she's active, being a dogwalker's dog and all. ;)

judithheartsong said...

In love with Dear Winnie!!!!! judi

magogos said...

I love Winnie, who really does look happy as any small child to be a princess, but I love Roshi best. We should have taken Roxy, our 3 lb Chi, out as a Great Dane! Thanks, Margo

andreakingme said...

Heh, heh. I love it! (I mean, as long as the dogs don't look miserable ... )

So, I guess you won't approve of those times I sent myself into laughing paroxyms when I put socks on His Orangeness'es feet, or tie a bow onto his tail, or put a t-shirt on him?

It's a good thing I didn't go with you to to the BowWowWeen fest because I KNOW I would have peed my panties laughing. And that would have really annoyed you and embarrassed me!

txsguinan said...

Ha!  Winnie DOES look excited to be a princess!  :D

Yikes ~ the mother of the poor "aging bride" gave me the shudders.  Talk about projecting!  And Tori Spelling! Really?  What was her dog dressed as - the ghost of her career?  (sorry...I don't know what's wrong with me today.  I seem to be channeling Henny Youngman...or somebody).

I'm glad you had a good time ~ that picture of Winnie is still making me laugh... :)

nikki247 said...

OMG!! That picture of the pug in the princess costume - THAT IS MY DOG! LOL - well, not really but she is a fawn and had the same costume - just thought I would comment :)

deabvt said...

Yea!   Hunny!

V