Friday, October 15, 2004

Vacation continues

Finally!  High speed internet access.  I haven't been able to upload pictures or post entries.  Being on the road can be hectic.  Every time I think I get a moment or two to write, I realize how very tired I am, and I fall asleep.  When there are things to do, places to go and people to see, I don't notice how little sleep I'm running on.  I can go for hours (days even) without stopping.

Cheryl and I have been fighting a cold from day one.  Hers has been a losing battle.  I've been able to keep it mostly at bay. [knock wood]  Thank God for echinacea, vitamin C and zinc.  I imagine the lack of sleep, the colder weather and zero nutrients do wonders for our immune systems.

Our first night was spent at the Los Angeles airport, trying to get a flight to Boston with standby tickets.  All flights were overbooked.  We kept getting bumped from flight to flight.  After twelve hours we eventually opted for an available flight to the nearest city in the northeast: Newark, NJ.  That's where we rented our car.

We still had to drive to Boston to get our luggage.  Apparently it had no problem getting a direct flight from LA.  Has anyone driven in Boston lately?  Getting to the airport terminal and picking up our luggage was the easiest task of the entire trip.  But leaving Boston was nearly impossible.  Endless construction. No street signs. No lines/lanes painted on major throughways.  It was kinda funny and a little scary.  A combination of Hotel California (You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave) and National Lampoon's European Vacation (Look kids, Big Ben, Parliament).

We finally arrived in my home town thirty hours after the start of our journey. [a trip that could've taken eight hours, door-to-door]  Little did we know then that would be just the beginning of many mini-adventures this past week.

More to come ... remember, we have standby tickets for our return flight as well.  Let the adventures continue!

14 comments:

nikki247 said...

Were you non-reving?  Just wondering...that sucks that you kept getting bumped - however, it looks like you guys had a good time anyway!  Glad to see you are having a fun vacation!!  I just found out I am going to Aruba! FUN!

kuhlhiggins said...

It sounds like you are having fun. Cool pictures.
Love,
Kat

diannevan said...

Boston airport SUCKS BIG TIME!  It's the only airport I've ever been to where they put it smack dab in the middle of the city so you have to deal with rush hour traffic and pray to make it to the flight on time.  

We've missed you.  I'm so glad you had a chance to update...even though you DID leave us on a cliffhanger.

babyshark28 said...

Wow!  that IS an adventure :)  
love the pictures, gives me a great idea of what your going through.  Doing Yoga in the airport?  very cool. :D

Can't wait to hear all about your mini adventures!
and hoping you two start feeling better. :(
~sharky
http://journals.aol.com/babyshark28/substanceorlackof

luckyaugustgirl said...

Have a great time honey!! Looking forward to hearing details.....:) Getting luggage is the easiest! All you have to do is take the T!!!! :D
Enjoy yourself~

ryanagi said...

Oh man! You know Newark is a hop skip and jump from me and my family is up in the same neck of the woods as yours. You shoulda called me! I could have given you a lift on the way up there for a visit myself. Hope the trip home is less eventful! -B

coy1234787 said...

Sounds like you are having fun, the delay's and the detours are just part of the adventure, relax and enjoy.
                                                    *** Coy ***

coy1234787 said...

Sounds like you are having fun, the delay's and the detours are just part of the adventure, relax and enjoy.
                                                    *** Coy ***

alphawoman1 said...

For me, driving in Boston (leaving Logan) was like the scene in "Clueless" where they inadvertently get on the LA Freeway.  We also got caught in traffic for a babeball game.  That was a trip!

readmereadyou said...

Little tip. Buy Zicam (nasal gel zinc) at the start of a cold and sometimes the cold only  lasts a day and others three days and it's over. No coughs.
Glad you have your internet broadband back.
Photos are great.
Angela

indigosunmoon said...

Missing ya!!!
-Connie

slowmotionlife said...

Good luck on your return flight. Not much longer!  

krobbie67 said...

Home yet???? Great pics! Yoga in the airport. How come when I go everybody is so lame? ;-) ---Robbie

grassriver said...

Where's Cheryl when I travel??? Seriously.
XOXO....Kelli