Monday, October 25, 2004

Punkin Carving

Boo!

I get so rejuvenated when I spend time with my friends. I mean, I relish, cherish and revel in my alone time.  But there's nothing like a few hours with loved ones.  Especially when I forget who I am.  I guess the way to remembering is through the forgetting.

~ How many times can I say that before it starts to sound old to me?  Who cares, right?  It's my process.  I guess I'll just keep saying it till I don't say it anymore.  It is what it is.  Ahh, acceptance.  It's a beautiful thing. ~

I digress...

...

...I'm back.

Last night we gathered for our Second Annual Pumpkin Carving Event.  Basically, it's just another excuse for a bunch of us to get together and eat, drink, laugh and get caught up.  I spent most of the night taking pictures, sharing stories from my recent trip and nursing a bottomless filthy rotten dirty martini -- as only Dean can make!  I say bottomless because the truth is I'm the slowest martini drinker, ever.  So slow that I didn't have time (nor the desire) to carve my pumpkin.

That's okay.  Everyone else pretty much got good and slimy with pumpkin guts.  Half of them aren't even pictured.  Seems I was so busy chatting that I missed their exits.

Unlike last year when I ultimately caved to the peer pressure and carved a (small) pumpkin.  I resisted as long as I could.  I just didn't want to create a ghoulish face that might scare me later in my house.  So the compromise was that I'd carve a peace sign instead of a jackolantern.

I remember wishing I had a digital camera then so I could share the experience in this journal.  That's the first time I found myself thinking, "Hey, I was journaling at this time last year."  For me, that's an anniversary marker.

It's amazing what can happen in a year, isn't it?

I do love this time of year.  For me Halloween is a time of reflecting, letting go, shedding skin and going within to reconnect with spirit.  It's also a time of celebration.  It sort of kicks off the holiday season.  A time of deep gratitude and remembering life's blessings.

OK, guess how much fun I'm having with my digital camera and photo editing software.  Hint:  I've barely read journals and haven't updated my own all weekend.

26 comments:

babyshark28 said...

It's soo much creating.  I get totally lost in it.  Glad to see soo many happy faces in these pictures, as well as some happy  pumpkin faces!!  They are soo good.  great job gals!

Thanks for sharing your day with us, I had a great time reading through it all. Keep on creating freee. :D

ann7inflorida said...

OMG...This looks like so much fun! GREAT PICS!

donah42 said...

Looks like so much fun! I can't wait to carve our pumpkins!

yakima127 said...

Cool...JAE

judithheartsong said...

awwwwww....... great entry and thanks for sharing!!!! judi

deabvt said...

Boy, your new Digital is great!
V

barbaramck said...

Looks like soooo much fun! i wish i were there; i'm the martini queen :o

...not bad with the pumpkin carver either, hehehe *wink*

stay cool, Peace! barb~

magogos said...

Hey, we did pumpkin carving at our local community center last night-neighbors and kids and friend-about 35 of us in all. Fun stuff. Enjoyed getting a glimpse of yours. Margo

ryanagi said...

What a great idea! I love the cat one. -B

indigosunmoon said...

Now thats what I call a good time!!!
Love the pictures Trish!!
Happy Halloween to you honey!
Lovish!
Connie

irun01 said...

Awesome pictures.  Thanks for sharing your pumpkin day with us Rock Star.

onestrangecat said...

Sounds/looks like you had a great time.  

Love the pumpkin with the cat face.

Kathy

luckyaugustgirl said...

Hi lil punkin!  Now that looks like fun! :) Cant wait for Halloween around here! Its the ultimate start of the real holiday season, as you said! :) Glad you got a night out with the girls. GIRL time is very important! :) Love the cat pumpkin! :) Are those on display somewhere?

mallory4284 said...

Fun stuff!! My sister and her boyfriend carved pumpkins a couple weeks ago. My sister carved a pretty good witch!! I like the kitty pumpkin! I like the un-traditional pumpkins that steer away from the normal faces.

Sounds like a fun weekend!!

-- Mallory

diannevan said...

You MURDERED those poor, helpless pumpkins just for the sheer fun of it?  No!  Not my FreeePeace!   She loves all creatures, even orange gourdy ones.  But there it is...the evidence.  Pumpkin guts all over the place.  

krobbie67 said...

Absolutely amazing. It still boggles me when I start to think about all the stuff that has occurred this past year. Cool stuff though. Really cool.

I love that cat pumpkin! :-) ---Robbie

coy1234787 said...

Looks like you had a great time, what a great excuse to all get together.
                           *** Coy ***

pollysci said...

You're inspiring me to learn how to do handy dandy graphics editing and video editing, girlie.

Cute pumpkins!  Mine always ending up like a crack-addicted plastic surgeon went mad with the serated knife.  ;D

~tara :)

freeepeace said...

SHARKY - I've been struck with the creativity bug...in a different way than usual.  And I love it.  Making videos, slideshows, collages, etc.  I'm sure you understand.  I love your Halloween website.  Keep creating too!

ANN - Thank you.  We did have fun.

AMY - Make sure you take pictures of your carving fun.

JAE - Thanks. :D

BARB - Martini queen eh?  ;)

freeepeace said...

IRUN - Wasn't quite like your day in the punkin patch.  But I guess that's the way it goes in the city.

DiANNE - No dearest.  Your FreeePeace is not a pumpkin murderer.  She's merely an accomplice.

COY - Anything for an excuse to be with friends. :)

TARA - It's fun learning about photo editing and movie making and slideshows, etc.  My computer came with Windows Movie Maker - a great program for the novice.  It's so easy, I can hardly stand it.  Even my photo editor is "simple".  A great one to learn on.

freeepeace said...

MARGO - Wow, 35 people!  I thought 12 was a lot.  I can only imagine the slimy mess from 35. ;)

BECKY, KAT, SARAH, MALLORY, ROBBIE - The woman who carved the cat one rolled her eyes when we praised her for it, just because she traced the image.  Still, there's more to the art than that.  We're all impressed!

CONNIE - Thanks. I'm loving taking pictures and playing with the images.  Happy Halloween to you too love!

aims814 said...

This looks so fun! They turned out great! We haven't even gone to the 'punkin' patch yet. :)

s0ngbird1962 said...

Wow, the pumpkins looks great!  I have no ambition this year with Halloween and hate the feeling.  I should be crazy into it with the toddler's.   Oh well, Christmas is coming...lol...

Sounds like you had a great time.... LOL, at your pumpkin left au naturale...

slowmotionlife said...

Looks like fun!!  The girls look beautiful!  The pumpkins look spooky!!

txsguinan said...

Those are some very talented vegetable (legume?) sculptors there.  And martinis will have that effect on a girl ~ once I have one (or...ahem...more than one) I hardly ever feel like carving things up either!  :)

krobbie67 said...

Yeah, I snoop and see what people put as their away messages. Some of y'all are quite nifty with your links and stuff. I sure hope you do an entry again this year. I loved the pics here from last year. :-) ---Robbie