Monday, September 13, 2004

Doggy Camp

Welcome to Freeepeace's Doggy Camp.

I love dogs (we know this) but I'm very selective about the dogs I allow to stay overnight with us.  It's a lot of work.  And a lot of added stress.  But because I see Winnie and Sparky every day - and because they are good friends - and because Hunny loves them both - I am thrilled to have them here!

Saturday I picked up Winnie [Australian Shepherd pictured on the RIGHT].  Along with her came her big fluffy bed, one full backpack [food, bowls, toys, treats, treats and more treats] and a cooler bigger than my own [more food - perishable].  She eats better than me!

Today I picked up Sparky [Miniature Schnauzer pictured in the MIDDLE].  She came with her fluffy bed, a grocery bag of food and treats, and an oversized, overstuffed bag of stuffed, squeaky toys.  So far, she's the only dog who hasn't played with any of them.  She does, however, like Hunny's bones...especially the one Hunny is chewing.  Oh the joy of the animal kingdom.  Or, in this case, queendom.

I swear, Winnie and Sparky have more toys than Hunny's had throughout her entire life.  I'm beginning to feel bad for Hunny now.  Anytime I let her stay overnight with someone, I pretty much drop her off with her leash and collar.  Winnie even has her own backpack!

Aside from all the bones, it looks like a daycare around here.  It's great.  When it's playtime, they all play.  When it's naptime, they all nap.  When it's mealtime, they all eat.  When it's snacktime, I have their undivided attention. [pictured]

All three dogs can do different tricks.  Winnie can roll over.  Sparky can give me a high-five.  Hunny will sing and howl up a storm if she hears the sound of sirens off in the distance.  And I can get laryngitis imitating the sound of sirens trying to prove it.  Instead, I settle for a dance [which is the third cutest thing she does - preceded by howling and humping].

Tonight is our first night together.  We'll see how well everyone does sleeping through the night.  So far, we are accident-free.  And I haven't had to breakup any fights ... yet.  ::knock wood::  We've got a whole week of this.

I'm so lucky that my roommate loves animals.  He says the more the merrier.  But then again, he greets them, gives them treats, rolls around on the floor with them, takes their pictures and leaves.  I'm in charge of the feedings, walking, cleanup and discipline.  Ah, no worries.  I signed up for it all.  I love my job!

32 comments:

pollysci said...

So this one time at doggy camp... ;)

And how you got all 3 of them to focus at the same time is beyong me.  I've taken dozens of pictures of my parents' new puppies and none of them have both dogs looking in the same direction.

Just make sure they understand there's no teepeeing or frozen bra tricks at this camp. ;)

~tara :)

derossetfamily said...

Umm, k. I dont think Hunny's under...toyed (lol). Rather, the other two are spoiled! Sheesh! But arent they cute, I'd spoil 'em too. I want your roomates job! "When it's snacktime, I have their undivided attention" <--LOL! Doggy Camp sounds fuuuun, have a great week! :D
~Mary

luckyaugustgirl said...

Awwww what cute dogs! Winnie has such a pretty smile! Hunny reminds me of Lady from Lady and the Tramp... And Sparky reminds me of Jack or Jaq- You do have a glamourous job! Id spoil those little angels too... like nieces and nephews....... spoil them and give them back! Have a wonderful week!
Sarah

kuhlhiggins said...

Your job sounds so fun. I want to know how to get a fun job.lol. Love the pictures.
Kathy

redhdka said...

omg that is so funny that pic. I think you have a great job.

indigosunmoon said...

Aww....how great is that!  
The picture is darling!
Lovish!
Connie

s0ngbird1962 said...

I SWEAR all three of those dogs are smiling!!  What a great photo.....

babyshark28 said...

so sweet!!  LOVE that Schnauzer, lol!  of course the other two as well.  equal love all around!
That must be fun really, doggy day camp!  can I volunteer?  oh , wait. dang!  too far away!
I think I might be only, 20 hrs away, about.  I can be there tomorrow to give them doggy treats and nap time, while you take a walk to get coffee or something.
ok...I'm just day dreaming. :p
have fun. :D

ryanagi said...

LOL What a trio! At least you don't have a really BIG dog in the mix. ;-)

ondinemonet said...

Trish :)

I love it when you post phots of the doggies. I miss having a dog around sometimes...but Mr. Elvis is sometimes like a dog. I have to say, I have lost my heart to the dog on the right, oh just look at that smile. I can imagine him saying something like, "Hello, I want to be a good boy, and I like everybody. Where is the Milk Bones?" LOL.

Love, Carly :)

viviansullinwank said...

I love how they're all looking up at you! This is a great photo.

How are you doing, {{{{{Freee}}}}}?  Are you ready to head back East next month?

Vivian

ggal3133 said...

awww what a cute picture! My Hercules resembles Sparky, he is part mini schnauzer. Looks like a fun time :)

aims814 said...

LOL! I LOVE that picture! It does my heart good to see people who truly love animals and treat them so well.

Love ya!

cheryllb972 said...

That is a great picture,them looking up at you. It makes me smile!

cheryll

luckyshammrock18 said...

Yeah have one of the best jobs ever!!!! Lucky you!! ;) ~ Tricia

donah42 said...

It looks like a promo for a Disney movie! So cute! Dogs are so awesome---I know why you love them so much:)

barbaramck said...

you're a good auntie peace! *smiles*

great entry thankx!

love, barb~

deabvt said...

Yea!!!   I`ve been waiting for a pic of the prettiest dog.....Hunny!
V

perkysgrl said...

Oh, they are all so cute!  But I would have to say Hunny is the prettiest... She just has this look to her... Almost like she has an old soul.  Thanks for sharing the pics.
Hugs,
Jennifer
http://journals.aol.com/perkysgrl/APickleForYourThoughts

alphawoman1 said...

Doggy sleep overs!  Your Hunny is one lucky Dog!

slowmotionlife said...

LOL!  They all look so ... umm... attentive!  LOL  Is this just regular doggy camp?  Or doggy boot-camp?  Hmmm... at least they're smiling!  tehehehe...

diannevan said...

You amaze me.  I can't get my own human children to sit still and pay attention this long, let alone four legged babies who can't talk (but can, apparently sing).

BTW, last year this time, I had just given up hope on my own Australian Shepherd.  We had her for a year, got her when she was 8 weeks old (first saw her at 1 1/2 weeks).  She was sweet, smart and lovable, but we could not housebreak her.  Since I worked at home, I took her out way, way, way more often than most dogs and I think I confused her because she never associated with "ooh, gotta get out and pee!"  She just thought "ooh, let's go out and chase squirrels!"  We contacted the Aussie Rescue Society for advice, but none of the suggestions worked.  After a year, I gave up.  Then I look at Winnie and see that face and think about what I lost.   I get the same feeling when I see Hunny smile.

mallory4284 said...

I'm thinking that Sparky is a cutie!! Glad to hear everything's going well so far with them all. Hopefully they'll all stay friendly for the week and won't give you a hard time!

-- Mallory

sunflowerkat321 said...

These three sweetie's are SOOOO cute.  You are an amazing woman Freee...I hope that Winnie and Sparkie's "parents" are aware of how lucky they are to have you to look after their pets.

isabelzmia said...

Gosh Freeeee!  This entry was just what I needed!  They're absolutely fab and most definitely adorable!

XO, Isabel

heartsingr said...

Aw, they are just adorable!  And they're owners must be so happy to have someone like you to care for them.

amyhschwartz said...

Sounds like babysitting in my house... lol... but could you teach me how to get them all asleep at the same time?  what a gem!  Thanks for finding me!  I have had a great time reading you!  
Amy:-)

ann7inflorida said...

This photo is too cute!

sonensmilinmon said...

I wish Toby could've been at your doggie camp! I was soooooo hurt when I picked up my stinky puppy, he had diarrhea, and was soooooooooo thirsty, he went through 3 bowls of water when we first got home.  Now this was someone we trusted to take care of our puppy.  They never gave him his regular puppy food, he was given some cheap crap they feed thier dog, then NEVER left water available for the dogs and my sweet baby LOVES his water and ATTENTION which he got none. :-(  He seems to be back to normal and was so very happy to see us.

Monica

happyb8888 said...

Kewl picture Freeebie!!  Such loveable li'l bundles of fur!!  They look like they enjoy each other's company, a good thing with a pack.  :)  Thanks!!

andreakingme said...

Woof! You know I loves the doggy Entries. Keep 'em comin'!

And yeah, like someone else said, I was surprised at the simultaneous attention they gave you while you took the photo. How'd you do it? Did you stand there and make a noise? Hold a bone over your head? What? What?

::pant, pant::

krobbie67 said...

I love this pic. And, didn't even need to read to the bottom to figure out that you had to have had a doggy treat in your hand to get them all smiling up at you at once. Will have to remember that one for my next visit to the doggy park.
:-) ---Robbie