Sunday, September 19, 2004

Computer Madness

Power-Blogging at slow speeds ahead!  Where have I been?  What have I been doing?  I can tell you what I haven't been doing.  And that's keeping up in AOL-J.  I'm missing my fix.  It makes me a little anxious.

The Emmys are on tonight.  So I don't know just how much I'll be able to catch up in J-Land.  I'll be glued to the TV.  Keep your eyes peeled for my friend Jennifer.  There's a good chance she'll get a screen shot!

* * * * *

I feel so out-of-the-loop without sound on my computer.  My AOL Companion isn't working so I never really know when I get a message.  I can't listen to audio files [duh] or AOL Radio.  Seriously, it's like I only have partial hearing.  It's somewhat annoying.  But I'm learning to really appreciate the ability to hear.

I've also learned quite a lot about notebook computers in the last few days.  You know me; give me a product and I'll research it to the ground.  After hours of comparisons, phone calls, retail store visits, questioning sales assistants and reading consumers reports, I finally made an important decision.

This new little baby is scheduled to arrive at my doorstep Tuesday afternoon.  The anticipation is killing me.  But it's exciting.  I'm looking forward to experiencing a faster, more efficient computer and all of the added benefits this new one will provide.

My current four-year-old computer has been with me through many incarnations.  Aside from its addictive distracting qualities, this computer has been the catalyst of so much creativity, fun, pain, healing and growth.  Strange to think of it that way - as if it has a personality.  I guess it does.  I mean, my relationship with my computer has taught me more about myself than I ever could've imagined.

It's seen me in and out of a relationship.  It moved with me, cross-country and back, all within six months.  It's seen ... oh ... seven homes in the last four years.  Had I known then ... obviously, a notebook computer would've served me very well from the start.

Beginning Tuesday I can hit the road without the added anxiety of being away from my pals all over the world (that would beyou).  I can actually be that coffee house writer overlooking the beach while I'm posting entries. [An image conjured up by Andrea, way back when...]

18 comments:

barbaramck said...

cya at the beach......(((YIPPY)))

Weeee............................

happy computing, barbie~

pollysci said...

Congrats on the new addition, you lucky girlie! :) I ordered mine Friday, but it doesn't get here for 2 weeks--eek!

I haven't had a working SHIFT key in months--I'm giddy at the thought of having one. We'll be so handy dandy with our laptops, we won't know what to do with ourselves! :D  

~tara :)

msyahtzee said...

I'll be glued to the TV too.  I love award shows!  Enjoy! -Kari

indigosunmoon said...

I watched the Emmy's too!  It was awesome!
My favorite mini series won BIGTIME!  Angels
In America!  I can't wait til it comes out on DVD.
Oh, love the hat by the way!  You are just
too damn cute in it!
-Lovish!
Connie

krobbie67 said...

Awesome!!! I've dealt with J&R before. They seem to be a good company too.
Woohoo! :-) ---Robbie

luckyaugustgirl said...

Yay to PORTABLE, SOUND WORKING, NEW COMPUTERS!

Good for you honey- I need to follow in your footsteps.... Mine is a slowly developing fossil in itself....... :D Yeah i see you showing that camera some love Ms. 25 year old! :D

slowmotionlife said...

Yah!  New computer!!  You'll be mobile soon.  Hope you enjoyed the Emmys.  I didn't watch - I wouldn't know half of the shows on there anyway.  Instead, we went to see Sky Captain.  HUGE mistake.  OMG.. what were Gwenyth, Jude, and Angelina THINKING?????  Totally annoying.. I want my $28 bucks back!

dymphna103 said...

new computer, hope you love it.  I know you will   john

miarenee24 said...

Darn, I missed the Emmys :(

(what a cute group of photos up there! You're a natural)

I can SO see you, writing while overlooking the beach! I am looking forward to those awesome entries! I read about the notebook 'puter. Sounds perrrrrrrfect. If ever I need anything researched, I'll remember to get your help. :)

Love you!

magogos said...

How wonderful. The computer looks terrific- I am quite jealous, though I really don't need a notebook. I am so glad it will arrive soon. Enjoy! Margo

babyshark28 said...

Hey, that little guy looks great!  VERY nice.  Yeah!   Our computer is about 3 years old.  And it's already on the low end of memory, every year the new computer comes out and it disgraces the one you just bought!  I hate that.  but, what can you do?  But, keep upgrading.
CUTE  pictures of you up there...love the them all, but I keep looking at the middle one and grinning to myself. :p
I did watch the Emmy's off and on, I didn't catch Jennifer if she did get her screen shot.  
aol-j is swamping me right now....so many j's to stop by and visit. :p I am prone to fits of guilt....
anyway. Take Care!!

ryanagi said...

Woo hoo on the new laptop! It looks like a nice system. :-)

freeepeace said...

SLOMO - The Emmy's sucked.  I'm always bored with awards shows.  I don't know why I even bother.  Sex & The City didn't even win best comedy.  Grrrrr.  Bummer about the bum-movie. That's a drag.  But, you did get to see all of those hotties on the big screen.  That's worth the $$$ right? ;)

JOHN - I already love my new computer and it's not even here yet.  I hope I love it just as much when it's here.  LOL

MIA - No worries about the missed Emmy's.  Boring.  I agree that the notebook sounds perfect for what I need.  Cool.  Bring on the research assignments!  :)  Love you too.

freeepeace said...

KARI - I was so bored with the Emmy's - as always.  I don't know why I even bother.  It had to have been the worst awards show ever! Zzzz...

CONNIE - Now I have GOT to see Angels In America.  And what the heck is Arrested Development?  

ROBBIE - Yes, Reza's dealt with J&R for ten years.  So I did the research and he did the haggling.  He ordered a new notebook for himself too.  So, we got an even better deal than they were offering. Woohoo!

SARAH - I would imagine being in college today would practically require having a notebook/portable computer.  Great space savers too.  And yep, love my webcam - and my webcam loves me ~ Forever-25.

freeepeace said...

BARBIE - Oooh, yeah, blogging on the beach.  Woohoo!

TARA - Two weeks!?!  Why? What'd you order? Is it being custom-made and hand-delivered?  I thought I had to wait a long time.  I almost spent $250 more just so I could have it 4 days sooner.  But I would have, if it meant getting it FOURTEEN days sooner.  You've got a LOT of patience girl.

So, did you have to hit your Caps Lock key every time you needed to shift?  Uhhh...how'd you get the !!! without a shift key?  Hmmm...

freeepeace said...

MARGO - I'm looking forward to the portable aspects of the new computer.  But I do want an external keyboard and mouse while I'm home, at my desk.  Those notebook keyboards and pointer devices are tricky sometimes.  But I'm excited.  One more day!

SHARKY - I understand.  My new computer is probably already obsolete - and it hasn't even arrived yet.  It's just the way things are.  I see a time in the future where computers will become like VCRs and DVD players.  Remember how expensive they used to be?  Soon we'll be buying last year's computers for 5 bucks at a yard sale.  LOL

RYANAGI - I'm looking forward to the new laptop.  I'll let y'all know how it is once I get to play on it for a while.

grodygeek said...

I went from a desktop to a laptop three machines ago. Hey, I'm a geek, alright?

Laptops rock. Period. They are and always will be the bees knees. (Apologies to Alanis)

Gordy
the cycling Geek, er comic

grassriver said...

YAY, your new computer is very cool - congrats!!!
XOXO...Kelli