Wednesday, September 1, 2004

The Butterbean

The trip to Arizona was a total success.  The experience brought so many hidden blessings.  New adventures.  New friends.  New energy.  I'm still in awe.

The first person I saw when we pulled into Peachy's driveway (after the twelve hour trek) was the one person I was itching to meet - The Butterbean.  I jumped out of the car and ran to him with open arms.

~~ I know, I know, this entry is supposed to give you insight to Peachy and Robbie.  I'll get to that.  I promise.  They deserve their own entries - or two, or three... ~~

I spent much of my time with the BeanyBoy and a few of his friends.  I just couldn't keep up with the adult conversation in the kitchen.  OK, I guess I could have.  I just didn't want to.  So I made my way to the livingroom floor to be even more befuddled by the Yu-G-iOh! card game the boys were playing.  (honestly, how do they do that kind of math in their heads?)

I had talked to The Butterbean before I arrived about critters and the desert.  I know nothing - well, very little - and he knows everything - well, very much - about the desert.  He was the best tour guide I'd ever had on any vacation I've ever taken.  This kid remembers the names and characteristics of all cactus (cacti? cactusses?) and every moving creature on land and in the sky.

Zooooommm ...Hey Butterbean, what just flew overhead?  I thought he'd missed it.  But after a little squinting toward the sun, he looked back into my eyes and informed me, "That's a Cactus Wren."

My favorite part of the tour was when he showed me one of very many snake holes.  Confident the snakes were sleeping below our feet, he pointed out a spider web at the opening of the biggest hole and quizzed, "Do you know what this is?  [dead-silence from me] ...  It's called sharing a home."  He went on to say the spider would be an asset to the snake as bugs will get trapped in the web providing nourishment for both the snake and the spider.  [hello genius-boy]

I'd share more about the actual tour but I can't remember the name of one cactus or plant or critter he introduced me to - in great detail even.  It didn't matter how many times he said the name, it just didn't sink in.  For this entry, I even had to do a google search on the state bird of Arizona to remember the name.  I knew it was a wren but couldn't remember cactus.  Hellooooo!  So I took a lot of pictures [like a true tourist] and told him I'll need his help labeling them.

After the thorough tour of the desert [which is essentially his backyard] he showed me a few of his signature baseball pitches he's been working on all summer.  A boy after my own heart.  He's got quite a wind-up.

Later he showed me where the geckos hang out during the night.  Cute little things.  We tried, but I just couldn't get a clear image of one because of the light/night contrast.  And after that, he shared his talent on the recorder.  He knows more than a dozen songs by heart.

This little being is very well-rounded.  He can do anything he sets his mind on.  He's intelligent, wise, creative and compassionate.  Of course, he has his feisty side too.  But, don't we all?  It's a nice balance.

According to The Butterbean, he's saving for a trip to LA.  I believe it too.  Look out Hollywood.  He'll take us by storm.

 

Hi BeanyBoy. Thank you for the tour.  Keep practicing those pitches.  You're on the right track.  I hope to see you again soon.  Until then, enjoy school and put your heart into all you do.  And now that this entry is a total link-fest to your AOL-Journal, I suggest you spend some time posting an entry or two. :P

22 comments:

geminiwilder said...

He seems to be an excellent person!  How great that the two of you have a wonderful new friendship.  

Kids have so much to share, and to teach us 'grownups' don't they?

xo ~ phinney

barbaramck said...

soooo glad for the both of you! : )
can't wait for the next entries, this one was MOST EXCELLENT!

much love, barbie~

jcgeorgiapeach said...

I am true believer that everyone should have a Butterbean in their lives.   Glad to share him with you.  He could even name the creatures in that bedroom of his that I took you to.  

Although, I must admit, it's rapidly getting better.  There's a high likelihood that we'll be able to see the floor before Christmas.

Thanks for such a glowing entry about my baby.  Can't wait for you to meet Trey...just like the Butterbean, only taller and with a vast knowledge of The Civil War and music...creepy crawlies aren't his cup of tea...give him a dog (or four) any day.

~Peachy

ryanagi said...

Aww! What a cutie! I hope my Tyler turns out half as well...I'll be in good shape!
-B

babyshark28 said...

awww very sweet!   He sounds like one special boy, and like you....I like escaping with the children too. :)  I am glad you enjoyed yourself so thoroughly. :D

ann7inflorida said...

This is one of those entries that gives you the biggest smile! : )

ladydriversammie said...

What an intelligent little cute!  Great entry Freee, a whole other side of the story from what we've heard so far.  Just one thing though...please tell me it didn't really take 12HOURS to get to Peachy's from L.A.?  Okay, okay, I'll quit preaching about speed, lol.  Can't help it you know, at the time of day you left I would have made that drive in about 9hrs tops, but I know you had the dogs and probably actually stopped to eat, a luxury I don't usually give myself in the middle of a run. Just glad you made it safely...lots of crazy drivers out there...

Sammie  :)
http://journals.aol.com/ladydriversammie/MovinOn

deabvt said...

Wonderful, freee.
V

indigosunmoon said...

Awww....what a great kid!  And he's
such a cutie!  Great entry Trish!
-Lovish!
Connie

jcgeorgiapeach said...

This is the Bean. Thanks for the link. And when am I getting those pictures?

slowmotionlife said...

LoL.. he's adorable!  His momma should rent him out, start saving for his college fund!!  Professional tour guides - watch out!!  :P

txsguinan said...

I can't help it ~ I have to say it too; awww!  He's adorable and you sound positively smitten.  Happy it all turned out so well!  :)

diannevan said...

and not only is he intelligent, wise, creative and compassionate...he's got fantastic taste in baseball teams!!  In the immortal words of Drew Carey... "Cleveland Rocks!"

krobbie67 said...

Yugioh in the livingroom??? Where the heck was I? Oh no, I think I was sleep walking again. In that case, anything I said or did can not be held against me.
Love the Butter! We definitely have to return to meet Trey (III). :-) ---Robbie

luckyaugustgirl said...

Free!!! You always have the greatest adventures! Sounds like a blast, and your right Butterbean is a genius. Im excited to see the future entry of ButterBean bashing around LA!

So glad you had a good and SAFE trip, and glad to see your back in the swing of things with your computer!!! :)

Is there anyway i can contribute to the puppies and the cause?


dymphna103 said...

Free it seems you had a great time.  I dont blame you I hate adult conversation also.   john

ggal3133 said...

awww what a great entry and pictures :)

freeepeace said...

SHARKY - He definitely holds a special place in my heart.  Then again, everyone I love holds a special place in my heart.  Geesh, this heart just keeps expanding. Gotta love that.  :)

SAMMIE - Yes, it took us 12 hours to get there.  We stopped every two hours [at most].  Gas, water, spritzes, pee breaks, doggie playtime, stretches, etc.  The dogs were amazing during the ride.  They told us when they needed to get out and stretch their paws.  They knew exactly what was going on.  Brilliant creatures.  FYI - I didn't drive slow.  But I didn't drive as fast as Robbie claims she would've driven. ;)

VINCE - Thanks again, as always. :)

freeepeace said...

PHINNEY - Cheryl used to refer to me as a 10-year-old boy.  Because I would spend my time with the kids and talk about skateboarding and play video games.  It's just...fun! :)

BARBIE - Thanks.  Coming back to this entry today reminds me how quickly time passes - and how fast kids grow.  I'm grateful to have had that time with him.  

PEACHY - As you know, he is the 2nd Butterbean in my life.  And I agree...everyone should have at least one.  I'm blessed to have two. :)  I'm looking forward to meeting Trey.  He's the one thing I felt was missing for me during the trip.  Just means I'll have to come back soon. ;)

RYANAGI - Keep being who you are.  And continue to let Tyler be who he is.  And all will be well. :)

freeepeace said...

JOHN - I did have a great time.  I don't necessarily 'hate' adult conversation.  But I do like to kick back with kids. They're brilliant.  I always want to know what's up with the world, from their perspective. :)

GGAL - Thanks - can't you just see his personality in these pictures?

freeepeace said...

ROBBIE - Actually, you were standing right next to Peachy when she said, "Ask Butter to take you on a tour of the desert."  I responded, "He's busy playing yugioh.  I don't want to interrupt."  And she practically booted me into the living room [knowing Butter would much rather show me the desert].  Don't you remember?  Some 'observer' you are! :P

Whenever you're up for going back, I'm all for it.  Gotta meet Trey!

SARAH - I'm glad you think I have the greatest adventures.  LOL  I think I just make the mundane seem exciting...somehow.  But this was truly a fun adventure!  YES, there IS a way you can contribute to the cause and pups.  I'll email you.  :)

freeepeace said...

BUTTERBEAN - I sent the pictures to your mom.  Label them when you can.  And, when are you gonna update your journal?  What are you busy with school, baseball and other activities or something?  ;)  Love ya kiddo!

SLOMO - LOL - He'd make a bundle as a professional tour guide.  I swear, if he actually goes for it, he'll be famous someday...soon!

GIGI - Smitten - good word.  I think it's mutual between us.  If only they'd stay that age.  LOL

DIANNE - Of course that's what you'd notice.  LOL  He's a cutie in the Indians cap.