Friday, August 27, 2004

Road Trip

  

It's been a long - but rewarding - day.  Ellie and Scout have begun their long journey home.  I picked them up in Ventura County today - without a hitch.  Everyone at the Humane Society was very nice and accommodating.

These dogs are amazing.  They knew I was there for them.  They knew which car to run to. They accepted water, toys, treats and food from me.  I've received many sloppy kisses and I've gotten slapped by happy tails.  I even got a few hugs from Scout!

We went on a short walk with Cheryl, Hunny and Opie.  It was the smoothest dog-meeting I've ever experienced.  All four dogs were like, "Oh hi.  Yeah, we belong together."  Hunny never growled.  Come to think of it, neither did Opie.  That's usually their first 'greeting'.  And I haven't heard a peep from Ellie and Scout.  Even when sirens passed - not one little howl.

I've fallen in love!  Of course, Hunny is still my number one love.  But there's room for them all.  I don't think these pups have gotten much exercise lately because they're both wound up.  Very loving.  But very hyper.  Kinda how I'm feeling during all this.  So much confusion and excitement at the same time.

Ellie slept during most of the 2-hour ride home.  Scout was up and down.  It was obvious he was still trying to get comfortable.  Right now, they are laying side by side at my feet, finally sleeping.

I haven't even packed.  The PeaceMobile did not get a proper cleaning.  I didn't buy food for the road.  I have to leave here at 4:30 AM to pick up Robbie for the next leg of this journey.

I'm looking forward to this road trip.  I bought some new music for the road.  Jason Mraz Live rocks my fricken world [thanks for the reminder Mary!]  I love it so much I haven't even opened the John Mayer CD.  I did pop some Queen in for a while to mix things up a bit.  But it wasn't long before I was a Mraz Spaz  "on the California skyline drive...up the coast...  Cuz I've got ELLIE the dog who exceeds my expectations. I say, I like your style crazy pound-pup. You need a ride?  Well, come on girl, hop in the truck..." 

Thank you all for the well wishes.   We'll be back sometime Sunday.  I have got to get some sleep.  Goodnight all. 

27 comments:

derossetfamily said...

Oh you picked up those dogs!!! You rock. No, SERIOUSLY. You rock to like the fifty thousandth power, you are going to be that dudes', and those dogs' HERO! Enjoy your road trip, and your new cd :)
..............whats up with M-R-A-Z???
~Mary

geminiwilder said...

OH YAY!!!! This is such a heartwarming story unfolding here, you know this of course.  This is what's good in the world.  SAFE HAPPY TRIP, all of you, okay???

love you FREEE!!! ~ phinney

sonensmilinmon said...

This has been such an incredible story ... it really ought to be on TV. YOU ROCK! I really, honestly admire what you have done for these dogs.  

LOVE YA!

Monica

coy1234787 said...

    Such an awesome story Free, the things that go on here in J-Land never stop amazing me:-) safe trip!
                                                 *** Coy ***

paixall said...

You are an inspiration angel! I believe so much in what comes around goes around and there are some really wonderful things that must be coming your way...
Thank you and have a great trip!
PAIX~

krobbie67 said...

I'm up!!! Woohoo!!! Great pics! :-) ---Robbie

ggal3133 said...

Those pictures say it all! God Bless you and Robbie and have a safe journey.
(Great tunes you picked out )

sistercdr said...

You and Robbie are just amazing for doing this.  Honestly, y'all give me hope.

grassriver said...

YAY!!! Yippeeeee! This is so great! Have a safe trip!
XOXO...Kelli

ryanagi said...

Aww! The pups all look so content now! Hope you guys have a safe and uneventful trip! -B

slowmotionlife said...

The dogs know they're headed home.  Yah!!  Have fun and be careful!

barbaramck said...

you both are truly the most amazingly wonderful people for doing this!! there are tears of joy in my eyes. how lucky for everyone to have you in thier lives!

god bless, barbie~

ladydriversammie said...

They're just gorgeous!  For something that started out horrible, this story just keeps getting better and better.  Can't wait for more pics.

Sammie  :)

http://journals.aol.com/ladydriversammie/MovinOn

sunflowerkat321 said...

I know by now you are in AZ!  You and Robbie totally ROCK!  Have a safe trip home.

kathlyna22 said...

ah! well hurry up and open the john mayer!
kATHLEEN

mallory4284 said...

You're such a great person for doing this for this family, Freee!! Those dogs are gorgeous, too! Hope your trip was safe and the dogs had a happy homecoming!!

-- Mallory :)

my78novata said...

Thanks for the pics of the dogs and this story and for your part in this story. I can only hope my dog story can have a happy ending right now I dont feel as good about it as this one. I posted today that i feel so horrible. I really wish I could do more. It must feel good to be you and have done so much. Cudos to you and yoru wonderful for your helpfulness. Lori

s0ngbird1962 said...

Freee, you are my hero....  (I mean that sincerely)

thelovetrain said...


Cute pups fer-sher and good for you Freee.

I apologize for not coming by to visit you before now. It's 'not' because I haven't thought of you... Just self-absorbed trying to get 'my' blog-thing going. Once I get designed-in, it won't be so much like this and I'll be able to make 'the rounds' to visit more.

Be careful out there (...as if). You're probably back by now. Let's try this... "Hope you had a safe trip."

'B'

andreakingme said...

Oh, and Robbie, too! Robbie, if you're reading this, I think you're an angel too. Smooch!

(Smoochy, smootchy, Trishy.)

andreakingme said...

Gotta delurk for this one!

Good for Scout and Ellie! You should see me ... I've got tears running down my cheeks and I haven't even read Peachy's J yet. I love stories like this! LOVE THEM!

You're an angel, sweet Trishy. You really, really are. Can I touch you? :-P

andreakingme said...

Oh, I'm just so sobbishly happy.

indigosunmoon said...

The pics are great!  Be safe on your journey!
Lovish!
Connie

diannevan said...

Since you won't be reading this until Sunday or Monday, I won't flood your comment box with a comment.  Oh wait, I already did.  LOL!!

Have fun!  Make sure YOU're not the one causing the sirens that could make the pooches go bonkers!

babyshark28 said...

I hope everything went well, it sounds like a great adventure.....it should have been on the news!  :)  you have heart bigger than.....mine. :) xo

purplectigger said...

God Bless you and Robbie. You two are wonderful people. I know this is an experience you will never forget.
Have a great day
R.C.

his1desire said...

can i wish you well *after* you get back from your trip? hehe
thanks for giving so much, for pitching in and doing such an awesome thing for Tara and everyone involved
sorry i didn't get here sooner .. i'm a lazy bum, thats my only excuse
thanks Freee .. for being the generous lady that you are and giving so much from the heart
hugs
pamela