Saturday, July 31, 2004

Spree Update

Last night's shopping spree began with shopping!  We listened to We Are One in the car on the way because Cheryl was having trouble hearing it on her computer.  We got to Ross and went our separate ways.  She was looking for dresses.  I was ... not.  Across the aisles, I heard MY SONG. -- [trippy] -- Not only was Cheryl singing it throughout the store, but it's the song that stayed in my head all night long - even in my restless sleep.

At first I looked at the Ladies section for jeans and shirts.  But they only make "old lady" stuff for ladies.  Gimme a break.  Jeans that come up above the navel?  Shirts that hang wide?  Hardly a selection in my size.  I was discouraged right away.  Till I wandered into the Juniors section.  Oh yeah baby!  This is my style.  Will I ever grow up? ... No rush.

In the dressing room I tried on the blue/orange shorts [pictured] and Cheryl thought they were cute.  I thought they looked "too cheerleadery" because they flair a little too much - rather than hang straight. [I'm picky like that].  But then I looked at the tag and read it aloud. Funkie Punkie Groovy Girl.  How could I pass them up.  And the price?  Five bucks.  OK, fine, I'll just wear them low on my hips so they don't flair too much.

In about an hour we had tried on about 20 articles of clothing between us, got what we needed and checked out.  We walked out of there having bought completely different things.  She got some kick-ass dresses, down pillows and new bath towels.  Because of that, she left the store with two huge bags.  I spent the same amount of money and walked out with what felt like a sandwich bag.  Jeans, t-shirts, a tank, socks and yes, paaaaantieees!

It wasn't till I got home that I noticed the tags on two other items I bought.  I had to get a close-up of the tags.

1. Funkie Punkie Groovy Girl, 2. One Tuff Babe, 3. Flower Power Gypsy Girl

After that, we went for dinner and sat at the bar.  It was close to 9:00 so most of the barflies had a running start.  It was then that I remembered why I like to go earlier rather than later.  I don't handle drunks very pleasantly.  One old man [sorry guys, but I call em like I see em] asked if we were sisters.  YUP.  Then asked if we were twins.  NOPE.  Then asked who was older.  I'd had it.  I already had my back to him but I turned my head and said, "Oh NO, you did NOT just ask that!"  He had no idea why.  Duh.

Cheryl and I split a salad and a main dish.  When the main dish came out to replace the empty salad bowl, the guy on the other side of us announced, "Wow, you girls are really packing it in tonight!"  He went on with more about how much we "girls" were eating [which wasn't even much] and I said, "That's NOT the way to score points in a bar buddy."  It got to the point where Cheryl had to cut me off before I spoke again. 

There was a bookstore opening party on the same street so we stopped in there.  I took some fun pictures.  Later Cheryl said, "That was kinda boring."  I told her it's because she didn't have a camera!  I swear, a camera is a pocket full of fun.

Maybe I'll get to posting those pics later.  But for now, I'm running out the door with my new cami-tank and freshly painted toenails.  No biggie.  They'll be covered with my new kicks.  But they'll look damn good in yoga tomorrow morning.  heehee!

22 comments:

danielled1 said...

Glad to know I'm not the only woman out there with such a short fuse with men in bars!!  I'm the same way.... LOL :)

Danielle

riddlinatari1 said...

I went shopping with my friend this afternoon...yea I was outside the dressing room for an hour. Everytime she'd try on something she'd come out, ask if it looked ok, and walk out. After she tried on the entire store she got one thing. One thing. That's why I don't like shopping. Jesse

slowmotionlife said...

Gosh, I'm sooo jealous.  You're buying "smaller" clothes and I need "bigger" ones.  LOL  I stay close to the juniors section too, not necessarily for style, but because I'm short and built small.  Those clothes just fit us better, I think.  But I can't wear the super-low jeans or jeans with major flared legs.  And no belly shirts for this girl, no way.  LOL  

Those jeans are great!!  Can't wait to see you in them.  :D  :D  :D

ryanagi said...

Those tags are a hoot! I'd love to be on that marketing team...LMAO! -B

ondinemonet said...

Hi Trish

Was this girl's shopping day in the universe or what? Tara just posted she went shopping and got some great stuff, and I found the best pair of slingbacks ever. We J-Land girls should all meet at the Mall of America and take it by storm! LOL.

Love, Carly :)

indigosunmoon said...

I would kill to be able to wear those pants!
They are too cute!  Actually, all the things
are just adorable!  No dresses for me either.
Ugh!
Lovish!
Connie

deabvt said...

Funny tags!
V

ggal3133 said...

lol love the tags.
Great clothes!
Your right a camera in your pocket is always a fun time :)

geminiwilder said...

nice stuff, funkie punkie!  an orange tank top would look so cute with those shorts...!   and ewww, on the guys at the bar.  those types are barely worth a comment.  

geminiwilder said...

and, oh yeah, p.s.  natalie merchant is just about my favorite. the only cd i have is tiger lily and i am wearing it out!  :)

grassriver said...

Don't you just love Ross!? I like the little shorts - they're so sporty. Not to mention the tags - they're like a friggin' horoscope.
Men at bars are so annoying - don't they know that asking a woman's age, and commenting on what she eats are the worst possible things a man can say.
XOXO....Kelli

luckyaugustgirl said...

Hey Skinny Minnie!  love the t-shirt...... Bet your looking forward to your vacation this week! Enjoy and live it up..... you deserve a great time..... :) Glad your up to painting the toenails and enjoying life again! By the way.... Hunny's collar is SO cute! She just looks so carefree and summery! One of my friends opened my eyes up to things called "doggie beaches" and i was incredulous and said "Do they really have those things?!?" One thing is for sure..... if i get a puppy, we are moving to California! :D Thanks for all the positive vibes! ~ Sar

babyshark28 said...

So cute!
It's funny reading about you shopping for clothes, because I am like...uh huh, me too. :)  Nice tags, they put more into tags than they did in the 80's.
anyway....just glad you had a pretty good time and that you have some new duds and new paaaantieeees. LOL!  :)

pollysci said...

Girlie, it looks like we both had the shopping goddesses on our side this weekend =D

tara =]

miarenee24 said...

Great story! Cool clothes! You sound just like me, I can never find anything in the ladies section. I always have to buy mine in juniors. I'll never grow up either. :)

You're right, a camera IS a pocket full of fun. !!
Love you!
xo

derossetfamily said...

Ew, whatta bunch of terds! The bookstore opening sounds way more fun. Cute clothes! What do you mean you heard your song? As in, you were on the radio?? Love the tag lines! :)
~Mary

lamove04 said...

Maybe in my next life I'll be a (petite!) girl.  Those labels are a riot.  re: the dudes in the bar-- guess I'm gonna have to change my whole strategy, those lines sounded fine to me, rofl!!!  --Albert

lamove04 said...

ps: for some reason, your song gets stuck at the 9 second mark on my computer!!!  dangit, is anyone else reporting this problem?  I really want to hear it! --Albert

judithheartsong said...

oh, I loved this entry and the tags........ very funny! Thanks for sharing!!!!

punky5678 said...

I think I need those Funkie Punkie Groovy Girl clothes!

txsguinan said...

Those are some funky punky TINY clothes.  Good for you!

Pity the poor guys in bars who so lack charm that they think that commenting on a woman's age and food consumption is good conversational material.  They know not what they do! :P

krobbie67 said...

Loved the tags! But, um, I'll stick with the ladies section. I like the flair and high waist. My hips need it. :-p ---Robbie