Monday, July 12, 2004

Friends and Bananas

Later Saturday
Unfortunately my Good Samaritan deed made me run late
.  I missed my leg waxing appointment and I barely made it to my hair appointment on time.

Soon, all that was forgotten because I spent the rest of Saturday with a new friend and her 16-month-old.  We had a lot of fun.  But I told her I was scared to hang out too much because I was falling in love with her son.
[damn maternal instincts].  He and I share an undying love of bananas  - or "bah" as he calls them.  My friend said I could join them anytime.  I must resist.  [Who am I kidding? I can hardly wait to see them again.]

Early Sunday
There's nothing like an early morning beach walk and stop at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market for a leisurely breakfast on Sunday morning.  I'd forgotten how good that feels.  I just don't think I can live without fresh coconut juice on Sundays anymore.

Lately I've been a big banana freak.  Before this new 'healthy lifestyle' I could take them or leave them.  Today I love them. I can hardly get enough.  When I want a snack, it's a banana.  When I want food of substance, it's a banana.  Well, I was out of ripe bananas.  I found out quickly that the Farmer's Market doesn't sell bananas.  It's about the only fruit they didn't have.

My roommate bought a lot of bananas for us this weekend.  A LOT.  Like, they take up an entire shelf in the kitchen.  But none are ripe.  I stopped at Trader Joe's on my way home today - specifically for ripe bananas - and they didn't have any.  All of them were greenish-yellow.  Not even CLOSE to being ready to eat.  How can I speed up the riping process?  Anyone know?  I mean, I know to put avocados in a brown paper bag.  But, just what is it that makes a banana ripen?

8 comments:

geminiwilder said...

i know how to make a banana ripen. pretend you DON'T want to eat it, it will go bad just like that.

miarenee24 said...

Hmm, I have no idea how to make a banana ripen... ::scratching head:: :) Now I know why You and Stephen have a connection. He LOVES bananas too. He doesn't eat them as much as he used to. I think he's eaten more bananas than anyone I've ever seen!

A morning walk on the beach....Oh, man..I wish I was there. Sounds great! I'll be doing that in 2 weeks! woohoo! But you LIVE close to the beach. How nice!
love you xo

grassriver said...

LOL Geminiwilder!!!!!! That's the truth.
XOXO.....Kelli

babyshark28 said...

hey, freee. I love banana's too!  there great, I have one banana and a chocalate slim fast drink at dinner some nights, yum.  I am not a fan of greenish banana's either, I know a few people are.  I love them when there a warm yellow, with little black spots on the peel. mmmmmm.   to ripen them faster, I think you also put them in a brown paper bag...or is that to make sure they don't ripen so quick...hmmmm.  I don't know...put them in the sun. :P  have fun!

andreakingme said...

Um, mebbe put one in the fridge? You can always try it. Just one little nanner ...

I'm a greenie fan! I'm a greenie fan! I'm a greenie fan! Neener-neener! I mean nanner-nanner!

nikki247 said...

okay - OOOOUCH!  Leg waxing?  OUCH OUCH OUCH!  I think its bad that I had to get my eyebrows waxed before the wedding, but my legs?  You are ONE brave woman.

krobbie67 said...

I'm a big fruit person and bananas are one of the main staples. But, yeah, it's hard as heck to find ripe ones. I actually look for the green ones though because they ripen so fast. Pretty much any kind of fruit works in the brown paper bag in a cool dry place for speeding up the ripening process. :-) ---Robbie

hestiahomeschool said...

Put the bananas in a paper bag with an apple.

If you are really jonesing for a banana, baby food bananas are awesome.