Sunday, June 27, 2004

Saturday Night Recap

Friday wiped me out!  I spent the entire day resting in bed yesterday (Saturday) just so I could go see Haize's show last night.  And still I felt like I hadn't slept in days.  But I really didn't want to miss her show.

I don't know why I tend to forget this about the Pirates but news spreads like wildfire in our community.  Every single person - friends, friends of friends, loved ones, partners - all knew I have mono.  And most had the same reaction when they saw me.  First it was the shock of how tiny I look.  Then it was a lean toward me [a natural pre-hug gesture].  Then psych!  I got a firm hello accompanied by a wave.  No one wanted to step more than five feet near me.  Jeff was cool enough to give me a WonderTwinPowers handshake.

I should've been wearing crossbones on my face!  It became painfully clear to all that this is the ultimate anti-social illness.  No hugs. No kisses. No food/drink-sharing.  My pals bought a Cold Stone ice cream and came out with four spoons ... there were five of us.  That's okay. The strange thing about mono is I don't even want ice cream.

The only person daring enough to hug me was Corine I even reminded her to be careful.  She asked, "Why, will you break?"  I said, "No, I have mono."  To which she replied, "Yeah but wouldn't you have to spit in my mouth for me to get it?"  Oh yeah, that's right!  Everyone's got me so freaked out about it.  But I just know if someone else comes down with mono, it'll come down on me!

Haize was amazing.  She wrote the entire script.  She sang, danced and told stories of her heritage.  She had us laughing and crying over and over.  It was quite an emotional ride.  I'm so proud of her.  In awe.  And she was more beautiful than I've ever known her to be.

After the show I was wiped out again.  I said my goodbyes and headed out.

There I was, at 10:30 on a Saturday night, jaywalking across Ventura Blvd.  Not very bright.  This is what happens to my brain on mono.  It wasn't till I got to the middle of the street, standing on the double yellow lines, watching traffic zoom by me, that I realized I was dressed completely in black.  There was not one speck of color on my body.  I casually waved the playbill around, since that was printed on white paper.  When I decided it wasn't the best idea to jaywalk, I was about to backtrack to the curb when I noticed the traffic on that side of the street too.  So, they were zooming by from both sides of me now.

I started to talk to myself [true freeepeace fashion].  "Oh, this is good. I'm in all black. At least I'm dressed for my own funeral. I need food. I'm tired. I'm weak. Oh there's the crosswalk."  Finally I saw an opening between headlights and made an executive decision to sprint - mono-style - across the rest of the street.  Obviously I survived because I'm here today to write about it.

I sat in my car for a few minutes to catch my breath and slap my face awake.  At this point, I was shaking from hunger.  I was craving a burger - now that I'm a flesh-eating carnivore ::shudder::  But I was in The Valley.  I haven't lived there in ten years [almost to this date].  So I was in unfamiliar-ish territory.  Being the resourceful cat I am, I called upon my AOL-J phonebook.  And Robbie talked me all the way to the nearest In-N-Out Burger.  Actually, she talked me all the way through it - and onto the freeway. 

She suggested I order my burger "Animal Style".  For a moment I thought she was talking dirty to me.  She explained it meant "with sauteed onions".  Still, when I got to the window, I was afraid to repeat it...and didn't want to mess it up.  Nowhere on their menu do the words animal or style appear.

It was like a secret code to the underground world.  I ordered my cheeseburger then paused and checked back with Robbie to make sure I had the right code word.  I looked into the microphone and spoke in a monotone [get it? mono-tone] "An-i-mal Sty-ell" - I even paused, giving him time to question me... but he didn't.  He repeated my order, "That's a cheeseburger animal style with french fries. Three-oh-three at the second window."  I'm in!  [Hey Robbie, did you know 'protein style' replaces hamburger buns with leaves of lettuce?]

Got home safely, with a full stomach.  I'm tired.  What's new, right?

16 comments:

jennipooh3597 said...

LOL - that's funny re: animal style :)  I hope you are feeling better... getting some rest - seems like you've been *really* busy... and then your body quit cooperating!  Yikes!  Good to see you're "hanin' in there" though... in complete Freee style ;)  Hugs, Jenn

viviansullinwank said...

{{{{{Freee}}}}}  my dear you're really going through a lot....trying to get rested   get well and then dealing with the world of people who are hesitant to embrace you. {{{{{Freee}}}}} get better soon.

irun01 said...

You make me laugh.  All this suffering your body is putting you through, and still you have a sense of humor about it.  You are for sure a Rock Star . . Animal Style.

curvyanglintexas said...

((((((Trish))))))))))

You have mono, not pinkeye ... you deserve lots of hugs! :)

I'm glad you made it home safely hon

I added an entry just yesterday about a local burger place

If you want a laugh, check it out :)

In case I add more entries today, that entry is titled "Lesson Learned"

Maria

krobbie67 said...

"For a moment I thought she was talking dirty to me." <--- Is that why you started breathing heavy? Silly me. I thought it was the mono. ;-p ---Robbie

gingergirl05 said...

Hey Trish!!  Wow, it's been so long since I've been around J-Land I almost got lost on my way to your journal ;o)  But here I am!  I'm so sorry that I haven't been around much.  My comp is not doing well these days for some unknown reason.

Anywho, I'm sorry to hear that you've been struck with the mono terd.  That sh*t sucks, or so I've heard.  I've never had it myself, but I'm sure it can't be any fun whatsoever.  Though, even with mono, you still seem to be socializing and making your life worthwhile.  Such a strong woman!

I hope that you feel better soon!  ::lots of spit-free hugs!::  ~  Kate xo

babyshark28 said...

sigh.  oh the adventures you have freee :)
I was wondering why none of your friends walked you to your car??
I am sure there was a good reason since your friends mean a lot to you.
my friend, who had mono for 2 weeks.  dropped a lot of wieght.  So, that was one thing I was really worried about, because you were already thin. :(

sorry you got "mono fright" from your friends.  just when you needed a hug, right. :)

take care lady.
xo

ryanagi said...

Protein style...for the Atkins set! I love it! I wish we had In-n-Out around here. -B

miarenee24 said...

although you're still weak, I can tell you are slowly coming around. Keep resting :)
Paul once ordered a hamburger "protein style." he was so disappointed when they brought it to him, wrapped in lettuce. I like them that way! Mmm!
love ya! xo

gatorspictures said...

girl, glad you had a great time and made it home safe...watch that jaywalkin', now! hehehe c

chefgracegeorge said...

[hugs Freep]
I've been on a hamburger diet this week.  I just eat one hamburger a day and nothing else.  It's working, yet I feel so guilty.  Remember the "diet plate" that restaurants used to have, with a hamburger patty, some cottage cheese and some canned fruit?  Hee.

luckyaugustgirl said...

Hope you feel better soon!! Im glad you had a great time!!

geminiwilder said...

ACK!  Freee, stay out of the street!  
Funny, animal style...sounds a little...er, beyond kinky.
Glad you made it home safely!!!!  

(((freee)))

slowmotionlife said...

So glad to hear Haize's show went well.  And I would have given you a hug, honey.  I might not want to smooch you or share an ice cream with ya, but hugs I can do. LOL  

musenla said...

Girl, don't you ever cross the street in black and mono'ed out again!  That's not very safe.  I'm glad you made it across, though.  

Haize's show sounded great.  Maybe I'll catch her next time.  

So gald you had some sustenance in you.  I think "animal style" is an Angeleno code.  My brother gave me the magic words and I haven't looked back since.  Gnats, now I'm hungry for some In-n-out burgers!

txsguinan said...

Wow, Haize sure is beautiful.

I LOVE In-N-Out Burger!  It's been like a hundred years since I've had one though, since I'm always trying to  lose weight and therefore avoid fast food chains.  I think it's been too long, though.  All lettuce and no meat make Gigi a dull girl...Animal style, you say, hmmmnnn...?   :)

PS ~ stop playing in traffic!