Sunday, June 20, 2004

Long Overdue Update


I figured I should take a picture of the bed while it was made.  Lately, it rarely looks like this.  I meant to post this yesterday but instead I crawled back in bed.

It's been a strenuous week.  We hired some people to clean our apartment and do our laundry yesterday morning.  I took Hunny out so she wouldn't get under their feet.  Within four hours everything was done - and it was amazing.  It felt so nice to return to a clean home.  There is no way I have the energy to lift laundry or push a vacuum.  To think something so simple was all I needed to feel less stressed.  It was as if I had gotten a really good massage.

Finally, all the car-buying stuff seems to be coming to an end.  Well, except for the cargo cover and heavy duty blankets.  But I've got privacy glass, keyless entry and a shine that's supposedly guaranteed for six years.  I also bought a pet divider so no doggies will jump in the front seat.  For a while I thought I'd spent too much on this particular product.  But after researching, it seems I found the best price - even better than most online deals.  And I found the cheesiest peace sign to hang from the rear view mirror with my dragonfly.  It lights up even!  I'll have to try to get pics sometime.

It's been two-plus months of a healthy lifestyle.  [Ironic that I'm sick, huh?]  I recently started incorporating essential vitamins and herbs into my diet, mainly to boost my immune system during this mono-phase.  But really, I should be taking these supplements daily anyway.  I'm not much of a druggie.  I have a very difficult time swallowing pills.  So it usually takes a full liter bottle of water to get them all in, sometime after an oatmeal-banana breakfast.

The CR-V is chock-full of protein bars, trail mix and fresh water.  I'm realizing I may need to buy a small cooler and pack a real lunch every day.  There's nothing like white meat or fish when I'm in need of protein.  And that's not easy for me to admit.  I'm a vegetarian at heart.  But my body craves the meat.  Lately chicken, fish, vegetables, bananas, summer fruits, eggs and yogurt all sustain me.  Meanwhile, my favorite ice cream sits untouched, getting freezer burn.  And my favorite chocolate chip cookies are still sealed in the fridge.  Every time I think about them, I want to get up and break into them.  But I do know how important my diet is - especially while my immune system is compromised.

Don't get me wrong!  I still have tea or coffee every day.  I know I'm not supposed to have either...but I'm allowing it as my one vice.  Not bad.  I'm not eating things like pasta, bread, potatoes, candy, chips or pretzels. And in two months I've lost ten pounds and I-don't-know-how-many inches.

My sleep patterns are somewhat scattered.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the fatigue.  So, I do my best to stay in bed when I'm not working.  I'm noticing I really only have [some] energy from 7am till about noon.  Once the afternoon hits, there's no telling what might happen.  I'm ready to crash.  This is why I think I need real protein on the road... instead of at 3pm when I get home.

The fatigue is really a drag.  It keeps me immobile.  It's difficult to sit and hold my head up sometimes.  I can hardly function like a normal human being. [who am I kidding - normal?]  I've sat at the computer so many times, trying to squeeze out an entry for my journal when I usually end up feeling overwhelmed, plopping my head on my arms and snoozing at the desk. 

I'd better stop writing, or this entry won't make it in either!  I'm sorry for being so absent in AOL-J.  I miss updating daily.  I miss being connected with the community.  But I'm sure you understand I'm taking care of myself.  I'm determined to get well and stay well.

22 comments:

bhpcr said...

I'm so sorry you're sick. But I worried about the way you ate, honestly. Now I am so happy to hear that you are being so good and hope it has becme habit .Get better soon. LUVU ~Barbara

lucylouladybug said...

***I'm determined to get well and stay well.***

As it should be.  It seems you're doing the right things too.  Rest, proper nutrition, your body tells you what it needs from the things that you're craving, protein and lasting nutrients.  The ice cream and chocolate chip cookies will call for you another time.  :)
Be well!

Love, Penny

babyshark28 said...

what a nice comfy bed. :)  I'd be pulling the covers over my head in that beauty any day.  

yes, I miss you.  but, I know that your taking care of yourself.  and that's good, but I still miss you around here. :)

pasta!  I love pasta...I'd probably drop 10 pounds too if I stopped eating that stuff.
but, I love it soooo.

rest rest rest

alphawoman1 said...

I realize that swallowing vitamins can be a choking experience, but you will be amazed at the difference it makes in energy levels after awhile.

miarenee24 said...

Hey, hon! I'm just glad to hear that you're resting. That and all the other that you are doing will help you recover faster! I know how fatigue is. I feel very tired almost every day. Even if I take time to nap, I wake up feeling worse. But my diet is so messed up. I only eat when I feel like I'm going to faint and never take vitamins. Never work out. No wonder I feel the way I do.

The Bed looks so comfy! So much so, I think I'm gonna go and slip back into my bed [that I already made up] before Stephen wakes up. :)
love ya!

coy1234787 said...

    You sound good Free. It also sounds like you are doing your best to take care of your self. Right now that is what is most important. We do miss you here but we know what you have to do and we are happy when we finally do here from you. That bed looks like the perfect retreat fot when you are not feeling your best.
     about having someone come in to do the cleaning it's the best. We do that once a month, takes care of the big stuff like moping the tile in the entire house, big job, the bathrooms good dusting, from top to bottom and the big stuff in the kitchen. This makes it easier to keep things up the rest of the month. Keep up the god work, you'll be good as new in no time.
                                     
                                                       *** Coy ***

                                 

krobbie67 said...

Of course we understand! Take care of yourself first and foremost. Now, about those potatoes... I just bought a bag of them yesterday. I hope you'll make a little exception. Sorry there wasn't a steaming bowl of mashed potatoes delivered on Saturday. I realized I didn't have any of the necessary items to make them. No potatoe masher or big bowl to mash them in. But, I'm all set now. Unfortunately, since I get home so late during the week, next Saturday is probably the best time to deliver them. Take Care, Robbie

chefgracegeorge said...

Glad to see your entry this morning!  Wishing you healthy thoughts.
But, just give in to the cookies, will ya?  You deserve one, (or two!)

Take care, sweetie!

ryanagi said...

Nice to see an alert pop up for your J. Sending wellness vibes! ~~~~~feel better soon~~~~~~ Oh! And you might want to try liquid suppliments instead of pills. You just add them to water or juice. Much easier to take. :-)  -B

s0ngbird1962 said...

The bed looks comfy, especially the oversized pillows... We've had to put Mikey in a toddler bed & he's trying to adjust.  Our queen bed has gotten smaller because now both him and Sammi crawl in our bed around 4am. Thankfully our dog is happy enough sleeping on the floor.   I'm jealous about having someone clean your home, one of my fav fantasies, lol.  Man, I need a life....

Sorry to hear this mono still has a grip on you, but it sounds like you are doing everything right.  Can't believe you gave up one of your fav foods, mashed potatoes....  Oh, and emailing you my address so you can ship those cookies over this way.  (When you have the energy of course) : P

Keep doing what you're doing Free, you'll be back to full strength before you know it....  *hugs

dockart said...

The bed looks comfy. I love the sage green. I'm sorry you are having to spend so much time in it though. Hope you are feeling better real soon. Hugs!
Donna:)

clarity4today said...

Please do get well, hon.  Everyone will understand.

The bed looks very comfy, too!

slowmotionlife said...

Great bed!!  If you weren't completely infested with mono-germs, I'd climb right in there with you and try out that new DVD player.  LOL  I would love to hire someone to clean house.  My house - at the moment - is fairly clean because everything is in boxes.  But the new house.. in 2 months... gonna be a disaster area!  LOL  Can't wait to see the cheesy sign.  And we all miss you in AOL-J, but we all know you're sick.  You'll get well and be back better than ever.  Rest up, girl. And for silly sake, through that nasty ice cream out!  :P

chattiekimmie said...

I hate that you've not been resting as well as you should.  Your bed looks comfy.  At least Hunny gets plenty of rest on it. hehe  Please take care of yourself. *hugs*

andreakingme said...

Look at that sleepy baby. Animals are so sweet and innocent when they sleep, don't you think? Makes me want to snuggle right down there with 'em, maybe tweak their nose, too. Hee, hee.

I need to get back on my health kick, too. You're eating what I should be eating. Alas. I loves the bread. The chocolate. The taters. Chips! Aw, help me.

I want to see a photo of the lighted peace sign! The cheesier, the better. I love cheese, too.

I'm so hungry.

diannevan said...

From a fellow "pill-wimp" here's my solution to the gagging pill problem - I've discovered that pills are MUCH harder for me to take with water.  I think I've narrowed it down to the fact that I can taste the coating of the pill, but if I take my pills with juice or pop (or "soda" for you bozos who don't know what pop is), the taste of the drink hides the taste of the pill.

Also, I have to take some of the drink first, hold the fluid in my mouth and then squeeze the pill into my lips and gulp everything.  When I see my mommy dearest put 10 different vitamins in her dry throat and then wash 'em down with water, I gag.  :)

hempenhomespun said...

If I couldn't eat pasta, I would most certainly die.  I don't know how the Atkins dieters do it.

What I do know is that now that everyone has carb-phobia, boxes of mac & cheese are 5 for a dollar.  Woohoo!

derossetfamily said...

Yup, we understand. At least you have an excuse, lately I've been more interested in reading other journals than updating in my own. I hope the fatigue starts getting better soon, is that normal? I mean I can understand a little bit of fatigue, but if you are feeling nearly immobile all the time--that seems, um, abnormal? Anyway, keep taking care of yourself, and I really hope things start getting better for you soon! xoxox
~Mary

karensull12 said...

That bed looks comfy...Hope you're taking it as easy as you can and hope you're feeling better soon.

aynetal3 said...

Freee, very glad to hear you'd done something that was pretty neat.  That was in hiring the help.  The other thing that thrilled me that you'd stocked up your car!  Very good thinking.  Keep it as slow an steady as the tortoise ... he always wins!  Love ya!!!

funkyrunt3 said...

Hi Freee-

I am sorry your still sick.  I had mono once and it wasn't any fun :(  So, I feel your pain.  I've been reading your journal for about a week or so.  I really enjoy it.  I am hoping to make some friends in J land.  I am adding your J to my "Other Journals."  Here is mine:
http://journals.aol.com/funkyrunt3/ThoughtsofDays

Hugs,
Elizabeth

gatorspictures said...

Take care of you, Freee...i've missed your entries but totally get it. C