Friday, June 4, 2004

Dog Day Afternoon

I don't mean to be such a spaz about the dogs I care for.  I know I appear to be the crazy dog lady.  Perhaps I am.  But that's my life lately.  [and I still say, bring it on!]



Today I asked Marley if he'd be my boyfriend.  I'm head-over-heals in love with him.  They only pay me to take him twice a week - for one hour.  But I keep him out all day with me.  His folks are going out of town for a couple of weeks.  And Marley gets really upset when they're away.  They asked me to take him three times instead of two.  I'm tempted to take him every day - just because I love him so much!  Now I'm thinking he's not so much boyfriend material.  He's too young.  But if he came in human form, I'd want him to be my son...Hunny's brother.

This [pictured] is how excited Marley was to meet Otis.  I couldn't get a picture of both of them together [I was driving].  But Marley's head is bigger than Otis' body.  And they really liked each other.

You can see in the background just how [not] thrilled Hunny was to have Otis tag along today.  After 8 years of this [off and on], she's gotten pretty used to puppies joining us.  And I have to give her a lot of credit.  She's very tolerant.  She had zero interest in giving Otis the domination-initiation.  I think Otis was a nice distraction for Marley.  Oh good, you deal with the puppy.  I'm going to sunbathe.

This was Otis' first day at the dogpark.  He was a big boy sitting in the car, on the seat [rather than on my lap].  I'm a stickler about things like that.  He was a little put off at first, what do you mean I can't sit on your lap. But I'm so cute.



On our individual walks Otis is defiant.  He shows very little interest in me and turns inside out for neighbors and other pets who pass us by.  He would be content in taking off with some stranger, without even a look back or a goodbye.  When I try to exercise him [just a walk folks], he stops dead in his tracks and refuses to move until he decides it's time.  This leads to me eventually picking him up out of frustration, and carrying him home.  Well, not anymore big guy!  Check him out.  All four on the floor.



I wasn't sure how he'd react to such a spacious place with so many other fun dogs and people.  [I had visions of him waving, thanks for the lift - see ya!]  So I left a leash on him.  That way I could get hold of him a lot easier if he were to try to run from me.  Well, this little toughie from his street corner, found a safe haven at my feet all day.  He would wander away to check out other dogs and scurry back between my legs.  Like a kid playing tag, safe at home.



We spent an hour and a half at the dogpark today.  There are many days where we count the minutes until that hour is up.  But I know my job is fun when I lose track of time.

21 comments:

slowmotionlife said...

Otis is getting HUGE!  Great photos.  You obviously really love these dogs and they love you.  They're all so happy to pose for you - it's adorable!  LOL

lucylouladybug said...

Aww, how cute!  It's so obvious that the pups love you as much as you love them!

Love, Penny

krobbie67 said...

Otis looks so adorable in all the pics but I like the car shot the best. He has a "how come I gotta sit in this big lonely seat" look. And, Marley, indeed is boyfriend material. So very happy to see his gal Freee.

There's just something about pics of dogs and babies. You just can't help smiling. You definitely have a great job! Well, except those cans at the dogpark. I guess every job is a little shitty. ;-) ---Robbie

indigosunmoon said...

I read about your dog walking and I am envious.  How great is it to absolutely love your job!  Not too many people can say that Trish.  You are a lucky gal.
And Marley!  What a gorgeous smile he has!  Too cute!!
Otis!  I could just squeeze him!  lol
-Connie

deabvt said...

Freee, thanks. I really enjoyed your picture story.....my fave is still Hunny.
V

grassriver said...

I am soooooo jealous of your job!!!
The pictures are great, and that little Otis is too much - such a stinker!
XOXO.....Kelli

gatorspictures said...

awww, what precious (and ONE HUGE) pups!! Glad you are enjoying your business...loving work makes life much better, huh?

donah42 said...

I'm crazy about dogs too, so I can relate! My goal in life, once Pie gets older, is to adopt senior dogs from the shelter that no one else wants and make their last weeks/months/years(?) happy ones....Dogs are better than most people I know:)

sistercdr said...

How can someone not be crazy about dogs?  Yesterday morning, I was woken up by the police knocking at my door. A neighbor had complained about a stray dog and suggested that it might be one of ours. (We have 5.)  There was this adorable lab mix puppy in the back seat.  After verifying that it wasn't ours, the officer asked if we wanted it.  It was hard to say no.

ggal3133 said...

aww those dogs are SO cute!

sonensmilinmon said...

I've been having to be FIRM about not letting Toby sit on my lab when driving too.  He's getting pretty good at sitting in the seat and not getting on my lap.  He does give me those darn puppy eyes and just about breaks me everytime!  I LOVE the pictures of the pups, I think I could easily enjoy working with pets.

Monica

kathlyna22 said...

OOH I am so jealous of your job!
I'm laughing because my boyfriend calls me the "crazy dog lady"
If you ever want someone to fly on over and take care of your job for a few weeks, months, I'm your girl!
Kathleen

jeffcomedy said...

Must...Resist...Cute....Animal Pics....

Can't do it

Awwwwwwwww!  

txsguinan said...

You know you're happy when you have no sense of time passing ~ how wonderful to be able to make money doing something you so enjoy!

Marley looks like a big friendly, happy guy, and Otis in the car is too cute for words.  I wonder if his trick could work for me; next time I don't feel like exercising I'll just stop dead and refuse to move and see if my trainer will pick me up and carry me home...(I don't actually have one ~ maybe someone else's trainer will pick me up...?)   :)

diannevan said...

It is so utterly fantastic to hear the joy in your voice when talking about your babies.  To have somone make a career out of something she loves is euphoria.  Way to go!!

musenla said...

Oh darnit, I'm in love with Otis.  What an adorable little ham, lol.

Marley looks like the sturdy, dependable one.  And Hunny, what can I say, she's the queen bee, there to put everyone in their place.  Although I to say that her "laughing" pics are probably the best doggie pics I've ever seen ever!

You make walking the dogs sound so much fun.  I should probably go walk with ya sometime and make everyone's acquaintance.  =P

sepintx said...

Woof!
Great shots. All those pups got personality and you show it well.

sunflowerkat321 said...

These guys are such cuties.  I enjoy reading about your business because there is such sincere love for these animals in your stories.  I can tell that you REALLY get to know and understand them individually.  I'm a dog person myself.  It's amazing how they respond to you're attention and really learn to trust.

andreakingme said...

Hee! My heart melted at all of these nifty doggy photos! They are so fricking CUTE! It's disgustin'. (Look at Otis' pink tongue. Looks like a piece of ham.)

It's funny how doggies are so expressive. Loved your description on Marley and Hunny. You're right -- even though we can't see her big brown eyes, she does look less than thrilled at Mr. All Smiles ... chuckle, snort.

You are the Dog Walking Woman, Trishy. Hmmm. I don't like that title. No panache. Can't seem to turn the Editor off. Dang it.

floralilia said...

cute pics free!

miarenee24 said...

Awwww, Otis IS so cute. It'd be hard to tell him no, for anything he wants. I would probably let him sit in my lap, although it's dangerous. but, I am a pushover. :P

Lots of updating since I was here last. I decided to start here, and work my way up to present time. So, I'm off to see the latest!
love you!