Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Long Day

I survived a hectic day yesterday.  The weather was much cooler.  But that didn't stop me from working up a good sweat on the hike.

Later, I introduced one of my individual walks to my dogpark pack.  At first it looked like two of my pack members wanted to take a chunk out of the new dog - and the new dog was not willing to back down.  But I also knew they just needed to work it out.  All females.  Can be tricky.

Still, the new dog seemed to trust me enough [after walking her individually for two weeks] that she hopped right in the car.  There were a few growls from the back seat but mine overpowered them all.  Once we got to the park, my pack stuck together and played with the new dog.  Her parents were pleased to hear she actually ran and played.  She usually grazes and keeps to herself.

After that, I had two other walks.  The puppy-pug is growing up right before my eyes.  I met him when he was 10 weeks old.  I've lost track but he's got to be at least 14 weeks now.  Precious.  He still can't walk down a flight of stairs.  He might tumble over instead.  So I have to carry him outside.

My other daily individual walk is a big 8-month-old German Shepherd.  She's never been leash-trained or socialized with other animals because when she was rescued, she needed quite a bit of reconstructive surgery on her hind leg.  She spent 5 months of her life in a cast, immobile.  So she acts a little like a wild animal.  She's becoming more familiar with the boundaries and commands but it's a struggle to get the walking collar on her.  I have to be completely on guard when out on a walk with her.  Any sound of a dog nearby can set her off. 

The other day, someone was walking toward us with his dog off-leash.  I put my hand out like a cop and said NO.  He called his friendly dog back to him and asked if they could say hi.  Obviously my dog had no interest in saying hi.  She wanted to tear into his dog.  I said, "I don't think so."  He got the hint as I struggled to keep my lunging, barking dog out of their way so they could walk by.  He thanked me for telling him.

It's been about two weeks and she's already getting better with the collar and healing by my side on walks.  But still, I'm not a dog trainer.  I'm only doing what I know and feel.  She's starting with a trainer this week.  The goal is to hopefully get her socialized so she can come to the dogpark with us every day.  I believe it's possible.  She's young enough.  And she's smart.

I couldn't get anyone to cover my shift at the yoga studio and I was feeling pretty tired.  So I stopped for a cup of coffee.  Then I went home to pack a lunch/dinner.  I loaded my guitar in the trunk of my car so I could go directly to the recording studio after work.  It's been a while since I've had coffee so I was wired!  It got me through the night but not without the jitters.

We recorded two of the three songs we practiced.  And we had a lot of fun.  The guys want to practice more and maybe play a few open mic nights so we can get our timing down together.  Hey, sounds great to me.  I know I can't afford to hire them for a gig.  They just like to play.  They're really doing me a huge favor by recording with me.  They're in the groove together.  I'm learning how to play with them.

I didn't get to bed till midnight.  I woke up at 3:00 this morning with chills, feeling queasy and achy.  I was wondering how I would get through my day.  Coincidentally, my morning hike/client is finished as of this morning.  I knew it was a temporary thing.  They were very happy with me and my service but it's time for him to be reintroduced to his original pack.  It's bittersweet because I adore the dog and I've been enjoying the hikes.  But I'm also thrilled that he's doing well and being taken care of.  He's so loved.  This is how all dogs should be treated.

I'm still not feeling well and even though the hike is canceled, I still have to find the energy to go to the dogpark and then do three individual walks.  I have a feeling it's going to be a long day.  I'm already starting late.  And I tend to move slower when I'm sick.

Pictures to come - no time to upload right now.

15 comments:

diannevan said...

i've realized all along how busy you are with your job, but what didn't hit me until just now is how ACTIVE you are.  THIS is why you have such a slender build, of course, but I'm concerned.  You've talked in the past about how you forget to eat.  You know your body needs the fuel to keep going.  Not empty calories like Pepsi or chips or something, but real honest-to-goodnes FOOD three to five times a day.  

irun01 said...

Take care of yourself Rock Star.  Don't overdo it, or I will have to come on down there and lay the smack down!!  Are you scared yet?   GRrrrrrrr!!

geminiwilder said...

Freee, take care of yourself...

dakotarose2852 said...

You are so busy!  There are still lots of viruses around, even if it is warm.  Take care of yourself.  Hunny needs you, too.
Susan

clarity4today said...

Sounds like you have plenty of work!  Hope you're feeling better soon. :-)

krobbie67 said...

Aw...I hope with all this activity that you are taking care of yourself. I hope after some rest this morning that you are feeling better.  You know I never thought about how dangerous your job can be until this entry. My (ex) roommate was walking her Husky when a German Shephard came dashing out of a garage and took a bite out of the side of Sasha, the Husky. Poor Sasha was taken by surprise and didn't even have a chance to protect herself. Luckily, my roommate kept her head and got the heck out of there. After that, I was afraid to walk Sash in the neighborhood. I only took her on my hikes where the dogs are required to be on leash. Do you carry mace or anything with you in case of something like this?
:-) ---Robbie

tammy97501 said...

Feel better soon!  Wish I was a dog so I could have some play time at the park!  Have a good day!
http://journals.aol.com/tammy97501/majickaljourney
Tammy

chatzeekay said...

Wow you get a lot of exercise

andreakingme said...

I love reading about your day and your doggy stars. It's very interesting. You're such a good girly-girl, Trish. Way too good to feel sick and feverish.

I am now spraying my can of SICK-B-GONE (in, uh, your general direction). The germs will be eradicated within 24 hours.

slowmotionlife said...

I don't know if I already told you this, but I'm afraid of big dogs.  Particularly German Shepherds.  ::shiver::  I saw a dog attack when I was a kid, so I've never really gotten over that fear.  My gosh, there's so much going on here in this entry.  Dogwalks, and heat, and rehearsals, and coffee. LOL Your life sets my head spinning!  :D

freeepeace said...

TAMMY - Take some time for yourself.  Everyone deserves a romp in the park once in a while! :)

CHATZEEKAY - I get a lot more exercise lately, with this work.  Luckily, I want it!

ANDREA - I'm still trying to soak up that spritz of SICK-B-GONE.  I'm sure I'll feel better very soon!  Luckily, I don't feel so sick during the day when I'm out with the dogs.  That's a blessing.  There's nothing like feeling sick when I'm working! Ick!

SLOMO - I'm remembering that story now. German Shepherds were my biggest fear as a kid too.  I'm still healing that one.  To the point where Hunny fears them too.  It's a strange thing.  I was afraid of all big dogs up until 5 or 6 years ago.  Now I'm learning to fear the little ones!  LOL

freeepeace said...

DIANNE - I appreciate your concern.  I'm definitely eating well and taking good care of myself.  And my 'slender build' is genetic.  I haven't had to do much to maintain it.  But as I get older, I notice the changes.  And I'm having to do more just to keep fit.  It's worth it.

IRUN - Oooh, "lay the smack down" - sounds promising!  :-X

GEMINI, SUSAN, DONNA - Thank you.  I am taking very good care of myself.

ROBBIE - Dogwalking is risky business.  It's fun and rewarding.  But anything can happen at any time!  I'm still learning as I go.  And I'm constantly reminded of things I so easily forget.  I don't carry mace or anything.  I don't know any dogwalker that does.  I wonder what they do carry.  I'll check around about suggested precautions in these situations.

musenla said...

I'm still amazed at how tiny you can manage to walk all those dogs!  And you're so firm, too.  It's obvious that your priority is the welfare of your charges and you're not afraid to speak up when they're on the line, good for you.

Recording and working at the yoga studio too, no wonder you're exhausted!

freeepeace said...

MUSE - What I lack in size, I make up for in attitude. ;)

somenuttychic said...

Still shaking my head about the guy in the dog park who lets his dog run loose and approach anyone else's dog at will. What an idiot.