I spent days and hours writing the AOL-J Rocks entry. I was concerned that I missed some significant people and began listing every single person I wanted to thank. But that became even more tedious.
There is one very significant person I neglected to mention - John Scalzi, AOL-J-Guy. And it didn't go unnoticed. John was the first person to tell me how to post a simple link, how to add images and even how to resize them. He's been quick to answer questions and jumps on posting AOL-J Community news-bits. But he's also been very clear about being a separate entity from the community. Last fall, he graciously declined an AOL-J Award of Excellence nomination [voted by his peers]. He reads us, writes about us, but doesn't comment in our journals. He rotates his Other Journals list.
John works for AOL, so he must remain impartial. I respect that. At the same time, he deserves recognition for all he's contributed to this community. Without him, we'd all have been lost at one time. The other thing is, I genuinely like him and really enjoy his journal. He's a published writer. He's a musician. He's a dad and a husband. He's a good guy.
With that, I'm participating in his very first Weekend Assignment.
Your Weekend Assignment #1: Share 25 totally random facts about yourself. Include at least one you've never shared before with anyone.
1. I read John Scalzi's journal daily - sometimes twice a day!
2. I'm predominantly left-handed but I was taught to play guitar and most sports right-handed.
3. I can throw a frisbee with both hands - either way, I suck.
4. I was a Little League All-Star in 6th Grade.
5. In 4th grade, my mom banned me from ever playing with a Chinese yo-yo because I stole one from a classmate and got caught lying about where I got it. I touched one for the first time two years ago - andfelt guilty.
6. I was hospitalized when I was four years old with what doctors thought was meningitis. I don't remember the spinal tap - I only remember my non-stop screams.
7. Eight years later, my brother was in the hospital for the same reason. I worried about him. But I was secretly glad it wasn't me.
8. In high school I got an eviction notice from my parents.
9. I found out how much I'm capable of loving when Hunny almost died.
10. Hunny is the reason I became a dogwalker.
11. I used to be terrified of dogs. I was more terrified of cats.
12. I was in love the first time I made love.
13. I've moved 13 times in the last 11 years.
14. I love blueberry buckle baby food.
15. I've been a non-smoker for ten years. I smoked for ten years before that. You do the math.
16. I wrote my first song in 4th Grade to the tune of "Your Daddy Don't Rock and Roll"
17. I've never been in a car accident. ::knock wood::
18. I went to a Catholic school till fourth grade and insisted we were being brainwashed in church.
19. I'm obsessive, possessive, competitive and controlling.
20. I have two tattoos and I'm ready for my third and fourth.
21. I drove cross country from Massachusetts and moved to California with $300 in my pocket.
22. I played Hans Christian Anderson in a 6th Grade play because I was the only one who could sing.
23. I'm afraid of the dark.
24. I grind my teeth and I bite the inside of my mouth.
25. Something I've never told anyone: There's not one thing about me that someone doesn't know. If you put all the people that know me in one room, together they will know everything about me.