Sunday, April 11, 2004

Scary Easter

When I was four years old [going on five], I was already afraid of things like the dark, burglars and the boogie man [and I'm not talking about scary images of a disco-dancing dude].  But I was also old enough to be excited with anticipation the night before Christmas and Easter.

This one Easter Eve, we left a carrot and some milk for the Easter Bunny.  We read some kind of Hallmark Easter story and I reluctantly went to bed, thinking I wouldn't be able to fall asleep.  More than likely, I zonked out immediately.  It's just what kids do [oh how I long for those days].

I woke up bright and early that Easter morning, presumably around sunrise.  It was light enough to see images in my room but not quite bright enough to identify them... especially the enormous dark shadowy monster hovering over me at the foot of my bed.

I let out a scream of terror and zoomed past the creature.  I ran to my parents' room and never looked back.  I kept screaming.

My mom shot out of bed, "What is it? What is it?"

Teary and obviously freaked out, I insisted, "There's something in my room."

My dad flung himself out his bedroom door, to inspect my room.

Cautiously, I warned him, "Careful daddy."

My mom held me in front of her, both of us facing her bedroom door, waiting for my dad to capture the intruder.  "Hon, I don't see anything."

I called out to him, "Right there daddy.  On my bed!"

With that, my mom chuckled and let out a sigh of relief.  She took my hand and tried dragging me to my room.

Confused, I tried to resist, "No mama, no!"

She picked me up in her arms [her 40-lb prisoner] and brought me to my room.  I resumed screaming and crying. I buried my face in her shoulder.

She got to the foot of my bed, shifted me into one arm, used the other to reach for something and said, "Is this the monster?" 

The sounds of cellophane got louder and louder.  Still crying, I refused to look.  She compassionately insisted, "Honey, it's your Easter Basket."

* * * * *

When I finally was able to look at it, with the help and support of my parents, it was still scary!  An abundance of dark red cellophane covered the biggest Easter basket I'd ever seen.  With the basket on my bed, it towered over me!  I don't even remember what was in it.  I was traumatized for quite a while.  After that I was afraid of the Easter Bunny [the meanie!].

Thus began the traditional Easter Basket Hunt in our family.

20 comments:

indigosunmoon said...

Easter Basket Hunt.  <chuckle>   Great story!

krobbie67 said...

Big bad meanie Easter Bunny!!! This was a great story Freee!!! :-) ---Robbie

txsguinan said...

Oh my gosh!  I'm chuckling and yet...it's so sad!  Poor little mite.  I hope you've fully recovered from your trauma and have learned to love chocolate again... :)

yakima127 said...

So funny (NOW) but I feel bad for that little girl!  Hope you have recovered enough to appreciate the fantasy of the "good" Easter Bunny, again!  Jae

lifes2odd said...

Awwww, poor thing! I could actually picture it while reading.  Happy Easter :-)

babyshark28 said...

LOL, so funny!  I mean....I am sure it was pretty scary for you.  but, still, a little funny.  that darn ol' easter bunny.... :)

annalisa135 said...

to a four year old, i bet it was very scary looking!  poor baby.  We also have Easter Basket Hunts in our house.  I pretend like the easter bunny didn't come this year, while they tear thru the house trying to find them.  makes it more fun.  

ondinemonet said...

ROFLMAO! OMG Trish I adore you! LOL, LOL, Oh honey, I sure needed this wonderful story...thank you! Love, Carly :) Applause, applause!

aims814 said...

I've never thought of an Easter Basket hunt! How clever! This was a great story, made me feel 4 again :) Love you! xo

bernmilo said...

funny...http://journals.aol.com/bernmilo/WAYNEATOPICTURES

tammy97501 said...

Too cute a story.  The E Bunny always left the baskets on the front porch.  But a basket hunt sounds fun; like a treasure hunt!

somenuttychic said...

HOW CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mallory4284 said...

Wow, talk about traumatic! I think our easter baskets were usually placed on the kitchen table, so luckily my sister and I were never scared out of our wits by our gifts!! Hope you had a good Easter weekend!

-- Mallory :)

jennipooh3597 said...

LOL - okay, sorry it was traumatizing... but it *is* a cute story years later :)  Glad you survived the "retreat" weekend :)  I remember leaving carrots and milk for the Easter Bunny...and always finding a bite taken out of the carrot the next morning!  Love, Jenn

freeepeace said...

INDIGO - hehe, thanks. :)

ROBBIE - Yeah, meanie bunny!

TXSGUINAN - No worries dear. My love for chocolate never suffered.

JAE - Ah yes, many "good" easter bunny stories followed.

LIFES2ODD - Hope you had a nice Easter.

SHARKY - It's funny now, in retrospect. :)

ANNA - Sounds like Easter morning is fun at your house. :)

CARLY - Thanks for the applause - Glad you liked the story. xo

freeepeace said...

MIA - The Easter Bunny also knew never to hide the basket inside my room, anywhere, ever!  lol

BERNMILO - Thanks :)

TAMMY - Front porch! Great place - so long as no critters get to it first! :)

NUTTY - Wow, check out all those exclamation points! :P

MALLORY - Kitchen table was the most common place other than the foot of my bed that one year.

JENN - I agree, it was traumatizing AND a cute funny story.  Yes, the Easter Bunny always took a bite out of the carrots [funny, Santa always ate ALL the chocolate chip cookies though] hm!

slowmotionlife said...

LOL!!  Awwww... they shouldn't have put it on your bed, where you'd see it still half-asleep and groggy!!  It probably *did* look like a monster.  LOL  Great story, great memory.  Our baskets were always [wisely] placed in the living room for us by the Easter Bunny.  Ahhh... bless him.  tehehehe...

bridgetteleigh75 said...

LOL ~ what a cute story, Trish.  That must have been one huge basket!  My best Easter memory involves the morning I awoke and found a little black and white bunny hopping around my room.  He was one of my Easter gifts.  

Honestly, I can't even remember what I named him.  But he sure was cute!  I'm going to do the same thing for Parker when he's old enough to care for a pet responsibly.  

dnb7459 said...

What a cute story!   :)

musenla said...

Aww, you poor thing!  I can imagine how a dark big basket can look scary.  You have such an imagination.  But that's the Peter Pan quality in you.  =P