Thursday, April 1, 2004

Nanny Interview

I had that Nanny interview this afternoon. The sign on the office door read "All Pets Welcome."  But I left Hunny in the car - because, well, I can never be sure of my little dominatrix.  I knew Sandy [the interviewer] had a dog.

I was greeted by a sweet but nervous assistant and Jake the dog.  When Sandy came out she thought maybe we had met at a Santa Monica Dogpark years ago. Could be. She and Jake looked vaguely familiar.

When I think of a lawyer's office, I imagine dark solid wood, cold stiff seats and 60-degree temps. Nothing like this half-home / half-work place.  Very relaxed, laid back and comfortable.

The interview was just as relaxed.  We found out we have a lot of common interests - animals obviously being one of them. 

I was a little surprised when she reached toward a file holder on the corner of her desk and casually announced, "This is one of my rats."  She placed him on the desk in between us.  I studied the rat for a moment and with that, I met two others, all very intrigued by the smell of my arms that were resting on her desk.

I'm assuming it was a test of some sort. I'm surprised I didn't flinch. Not that I was scared. I just wasn't expecting rats in the interview. They are beautiful creatures. Really interesting, with their human-like hands and fingernails. Intelligent too - trainable, like dogs.

She seemed pretty knowledgeable, but she didn't have answers to my questions like, "If they're common household rats, and they haven't been immunized, how can we be sure they're not rabid?"  She replied, "Oh, I guess we can't."  She continued, "But it's not rabies they were thought to carry. It's the plague."  Nice thing to spring on me while they were crawling in my hands, sniffing up my sleeves.

Anyway, I didn't get the job. I'm pretty sure it's not just because I called her The Crazy Rat Lady.  She's looking for an experienced professional Nanny who speaks more than one language. Pre-school-teacher-wannabes and Child Psych students.

We're going to keep in touch. There's the possibility of some music collaboration. She took my dogwalking information. And we genuinely liked each other. So it was worth meeting.

15 comments:

bridgetteleigh75 said...

I almost bought a pet rat a few years ago. I hear they're actually quite clean, contrary to popular belief. And I think they're awfully cute.

I'm sorry you didn't get the job...but it sounds as if the interview was well worth your time anyway.

p.s. Did you sound like Demi Moore during the interview too? hehe

mallory4284 said...

That stinks about the job, but at least the interview wasn't a total waste of time. I'd like to have a mouse/hamster/guinea pig....something of the sort. I think they're cute, but dorms you can only have fish. It's not the same. Though, if I had the extra money, I would consider getting a beta fish.

-- Mallory

diannevan said...

It's weird... I never pictured you as a nanny, but as soon as you put the idea into my gray matter, I realize how perfect it is. You are the epitome of everything a child wants in a nurturer. Besides the obvious (caring, intelligent, honest) you have this ... thing... about you. You try to bring out the best in people, and if that's not possible, then you at least try to lead them to see the best they can be.

s0ngbird1962 said...

Black Widows and now rats... I just don't think much is cute about them. Their beety little black eyes, long noses, bristly looking tails, sharp teeth. Arghhh... Would have flunked that interview immediately, lol. Sorry you didn't get the job, I think she (and her children) lost out.

jennipooh3597 said...

Freee...I was in such a strange mood...until I ventured over here! I love the "Rat Lady" comment! he he At least you made a "connection"? That's always a v. good thing :) Maybe she could help you sue and get your money from evil child bride? ;) (always an upside!) Be well, Jenn

donah42 said...

Sounds like a creepy gig to me, and I've done more than my share of child care!

krobbie67 said...

Bummer about the job interview!! You're braver then I am. I would have been flipping out having those rats climbing on me with those long worm looking tails. eewwwww :-) ---Robbie

freeepeace said...

MICHELLE - These rats were really cute. But I can see how many would be a little squirmish around them.

JENN - I felt bad as I was leaving. She had said she used to bring the rats everywhere, in their cage. Restaurants, events, etc. And she didn't care what people thought. I said, "Oh my god, you were like the crazy rat lady." She said, "I WAS!" We laughed. But the interview seemed to abruptly end after that. LOL

DONAH - It's actually a great gig for the right person. Everything about her office was great - except for the Nanny position. LOL

ROBBIE - If I'd been flipping out with the rats there, I wouldn't have been right for the job. But instead I'm not right for the job because I'm American - with other goals in mind.

freeepeace said...

BRIDGETT - Rats are very cute. I'm not sorry about the job actually. I'd be her nanny right in front of her, 3x a week. It didn't feel comfortable. The Demi-voice lasted all morning and came back last night. It's back again this morning. But it should be gone soon.

MALLORY - Rats are cute and don't bite. Hamsters bite, big bites. I'm afraid of them. That's why I asked if the rats bite. Otherwise, my hands would've been by my side in an instant! Fish are difficult to maintain. Think before your purchase/adopt. :)

DIANNE - This woman was all about The Indigo Children. But she hadn't read the follow-up book. She was excited that I brought up the books. I don't think I'd be a great nanny. But I do love kids. And I could work/be with them in some way. Just not sure how. I love my space way too much to be a full-time nanny.

andreakingme said...

Hmm, music collaboration? Don't tell me ... she plays the banjo?!

As for the job, it's Fate. To be honest, it seemed kind of weird to me from the get-go. Not you being a nanny, but this woman and the vibe I got while reading your posts about what she wanted and was looking for.

There's something better just waiting for you around the corner.

slowmotionlife said...

I love this.. I'm actually talking to you on the phone and commenting in your journal at the exact same time!! LOL How did I miss this entry? Weird... And speaking of weird.....

ROFL

LUV YOU!!!

queenz43 said...

Hey Freee. All I can say is you are a TRUE animal lover and trooper!! After my hair would have turned completely white and then fallen out, I probably would have ran screaming from her office. Me no likey rats!! Anyway, something better is probably in store for you. Loved this entry! ~RC~

babyshark28 said...

It sounds like it was a worthwhile meeting :)
did she clarify she was looking for a pre-school type knowing more than one language...hmm.
anyway. Sounds like it will pay off somewhere down the road, maybe even more than watching her child....and rats?? :)

musenla said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the job but glad you liked "The Crazy Rat Lady".  Like I said in a previous post, who knows, maybe she'll point the way to other potential clients, esp. since you two hit it off.  Music collaboration is another bonus; she's a musician, too?

somenuttychic said...

Hmmm. Well, you know what they say: "When a door closes, a window opens." You never know where this one might lead. Good to hear you got along well enough to want to keep in touch.