Monday, April 26, 2004

Monday

I am completely distracted.  With all this new work, my days have suddenly become much longer.  I'm not complaining.  It's very exciting.  Bring on the work!

It was over 90 degrees here today - on the westside [beach side] - that means it must've been about a hundred in the valleys.  And I don't even want to think about the deserts.  If this is an indication of what kind of summer we're going to have, I'm in for it!  I couldn't possibly have worn any less amount of clothing today - and still I was dripping.  Everyone was moving slow - including the dogs.

Because of the blazing heat, I decided to leave Hunny at home.  In addition to the dogpark run, I had two separate individual walks and it would have been too hot to leave her in the car.  So she had her own private walk with her mama this morning.  It was tough leaving her, but once I got in the car, I realized I'd made the best decision.  So she spent the day with our roommate.  He even took her for a nice walk later in the day.

When I got to the yoga studio [to work] it was about as hot as inside my car.  But way more peaceful.  I had gone to Trader Joe's to pick up a salad for lunch.  I've really been focusing on eating healthier. Trying to keep things exciting, I picked out a salad I'd never eaten before.  After a few small bites it was clear this wasn't the salad for me.  It was too spicy and bitter.  And because of that, I began to read the ingredients.  I should know by now to do that before I put something in my mouth.

Wouldn't you know it: sulfites Now, I don't know if sulfa, sulfates or sulfites are related, but anything that sounds remotely like those three words makes my throat begin to close up.

Unlike last time, I knew there was no need to panic: I only had those tiny bites. I was a block away from the nearest hospital.  And my hair looked smashing.  I began to swig my orange water [relative of the yellow water], hoping that would flush the sulfites through my system.

Students began to arrive for class and I hardly noticed my own labored breathing and coughing.  I'm just now remembering it.  Amazing what a little distraction will do.

It's almost 11pm and still very warm. Reminiscent of an east coast summer night [minus the mosquitoes].  I have my big box fan on high.  It's about as loud as a plane.  I love it.  If Sharper Image would make a Sound Soother with "fan" as a selection, I'd be all over it!  I keep my fan on all night [even in winter] just for the noise.  It's all I need to fall asleep.

Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be a repeat of today.  I'm not looking forward to it.  But I'm prepared.  I just have to get in the habit of remembering my hat, sunglasses and sunscreen!  With two cases of bottled water in my trunk, I should be set for a couple of weeks.


In other Freeepeace news:  While the black widow still sits lifeless in a sacred space, a new spider has made himself known to me.  He's living in the top corner of my closet.  I can't get close enough to identify his markings.  But he's stunning.

Sidenote: 
It's been nine days since I've had a cookie or chocolate!


UPDATE:  Mr. Spider is no longer in the top corner of my closet.  Somehow he made his way into my bathroom.  He seemed a little new to the spider-world.  Having trouble gripping the wall, swinging and falling, frantically starting over.  With no apparent goal or direction.  Like a hyper-active child, or me on a bad day.  He was a little too active for my comfort level [seeing as I couldn't identify him as being non-poisonous].  So I set him free, to live life on the outside.  Now hopefully we'll all sleep better tonight.  That is, if he was indeed the same spider...

23 comments:

geminiwilder said...

yahoo for you!  it's been about 9 minutes since i've had chocolate! har har
come out here for a visit, it was about 48 degrees here and rainy.
blech. altho......better than sweating. poor you.

babyshark28 said...

I love big box fans too, reminds me of Okinawa.  I'd go to sleep with them roaring in the bedroom.   I'd  pretend I was on a very larg plane, and it would put me to sleep.  can't imagine how that could happen....since I don't like planes.  go figure. :) xo

uberdude333 said...

Ubers freaky assignment

wessolo said...

Yes, it was miserable in the Valley, nearly 100. I know because I had to change a tire in it. And it's only April. Since we rarely turn on our AC (it barely works in any case) I'm preparing for a summer of malls and grocery stores.
- Jamey

gingergirl05 said...

First off, I can't even comprehend that weather.  It was cool and rainy here today.  It was beautiful :o)  I know what you mean about those big fans.  They are rather comforting in the heat of summer.  One sheet half on, a leg draped over the edge of the bed, the fan roaring, humming, singing, and the constant flip of a pillow, attempting to find the cooler side.  Ahh, I didn't realize how I missed the summer!

Trader Joe's rocks hard!  Oh dearie, that does not sound good, though!  Thank goodness you did look at the ingredient list before you ate anymore.

You insane freak of nature!  You like spiders????  I see one in my house and nearly pass out due to fear.  I run for someone to come kill it.  They are freakin scary.

And that's good that you've been able to go nine days!  Congrats chica :o)  But don't get carried away, ya know what I mean?  Yes, you do. xo   ~  Kate xo

krobbie67 said...

I say stomp those furry eight-legged suckers! Ever since you and I talked about Ms. B. Widow the other day, I have been finding spiders in my place. I think she heard me and told all her friends to head my way. And, I'll let you in on a little secret :::whispering:::: stomping them releases some kind of sleepy inducing power. ;-) ---Robbie

irun01 said...

I sleep with a fan on as well . . . because of the background noise.  It blocks out all the other noise.  I remember those hot, hot days from when I lived in Okinawa, Southern  Cal, and Florida.  I miss them.  That's the kind of weather that I enjoy.  Have an awesome day Rock Star. . . . keep those clothes on.

alphawoman1 said...

I wish some of that warm weather would head out way.  Chilly here.  I have a fan I leave on winter/spring/summer/fall.  Love the white noise.

hempenhomespun said...

Yikes!  With all the unidentified spiders at your place, I'd be packing up my things by now.  I scream until my nerves are frayed and stomp those suckers flat.  I know they too are God's creatures . . . but I say a little prayer for them AFTER I smoosh them.  Is that ok?

c82trinity said...

Wooh just your description of the heat makes me turn on my fan lol Sorry about that salad, good thing you caught it thou :) Good job on the cookies and such! I hope it was the same spider so he can enjoy outside and you can enjoy sleep :)

tammy97501 said...

That was nice of you to set the spider "free".  He'll do much better outside. It's been quite warm here in So. Oregon too - 90 yesterday.  We always have fans going on in our house; especially in the bedroom.  I can't go to sleep with out a little "fanage" on me.  Tammy

deabvt said...

Yea!!!!!!!    Spiders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
V

johnn60504 said...

The weather is gorgeous here in Sydney.  (Yes, I'm in Oz on business - will be home next week. Pictures here at http://www.needhamfamily.net)  The weather here is perfect for long outdoor runs, so I'm trying to do a daily loop of the Sydney Opera House.  The loop amounts to a four mile run. so that,plus lots of excellent seafood, is helping to keep the weight off!

andreakingme said...

I'm so glad you've found more work! Verra, verra glad. I swear, I was going to start my own Freeepeace fund.

It's freezing here in Unhinged land. Sunny, windy and in the 50s. I wore a skirt to work and ended up changing into jeans at lunch. I am going to feel SO gipped if the weather swings right from 50 to 90. I want me Spring!

(Note to self: click on the Trapper Joe link. Gotta see them salads.)

Oh! We ate at Bob Evans last weekend and they have GREAT salads. BIG salads. No carb and low carb salads. Who'da thunk?

Holy cow, I think it's been over three days since I've had any chocolate. This is going to change once I get home (after my run on the EFX machine, heh, heh). Ken went grocery shopping Monday morning and said he'd bought chocolate and hid it around the house. So you know what I'll be doing tonight ...


somenuttychic said...

Work finally picked up. Yay! And Hunny isn't outside in the heat. Yay! And you were able to relocate your new hyperactive spider pal. Yay! So. Based on what you've written here, life is good. Phew. :-)

jennipooh3597 said...

OMG Freee!  Yes, yes, yes.... READ the ingredients!  (I'm allergic to green peppers - I read most "spicy" food labels...) (I just hate the aftermath of such an adventure in pepper-hell!)  Awwwwwwww.... lucky spider to have made his way into "your" house... and not someone elses :)  I love the sound of box fans as well... there's just *something* about them... reminds me of the farm when we had like a huge airplane propeller type dealie to cool the cows... (k, now I'm stuck in a moment) (aren't I usually?)  ;)  Love, Jenn

goldenchildnc said...

Hmmm. No chocolate or cookies? Good for you! Lent's over BTW :-) So you have my permission to snarf them again if you like. LOL!

The weather out there never got to me even when it climbed into the 90's. I guess I was still used to the wet heat of the South though. It always felt like it was about 70 degrees to me.

sonensmilinmon said...

Both my boys were telling me how HOT it was in CA today ... one in San Francisico and the other in San Diego.  I was kinda envious ... kinda not as I don't care much for heat ... after all I can only stip down so far before scaring or blinding people.

I had Sonny removing two spiders found here ... I rather they live outside. I'm a wimp ~ been bitten twice!

Smilin Mon

kathlyna22 said...

I'm feeling your pain with the heat thing..I'm going to melt soon!
I recently went to Trader Joes for the first time in Massachusetts( we don't have them here) & what a fun place! I'm jealous.
I think I am going to start doing yoga this summer..any tips for a first timer?
Kathleen

paulsd2 said...

All I have to say is that you are damn crazy and that means that you are crazier than those who are simply just crazy in their mind.

As for distractions...  I have a feeling you'll be able to handle it!

slowmotionlife said...

It's been getting warmer and warmer here each day.  Bring it on!  I'm always freezing in this house, so I look forward to stepping outside and climbing into my super-hot black-interiored car for a warm drive to the mailbox or little store for a drink.  I've always enjoyed the heat.  Granted, come mid-summer, I'll be sick of it!  But for now, I'm enjoying it.

As I already told you, Check before you Consume!  There are sulfites in LOTS of things - lunchmeat, etc.  So be careful.  Maybe you should ask your doctor about a non-drowsy allergy medicine you could use in case of accidental ingestion?  Might be worth asking about.

OK.. off to do more catching up.  LUV YOU!  :P

bridgetteleigh75 said...

I think the second Mr. Spider sounds a little erratic.  I never used to kill spiders, but lately, we've been getting these big brown spiders downstairs, and they're rather aggressive.  Because Parker's bedroom is downstairs, I'm worried they'll attack him in his crib.  LOL  I know, I know...overprotective worrywart.  That's me.  But these are some Bad-Ass spiders, Trish.  I swear!  =)

txsguinan said...

Freee...!  You just can't stay away from those sulfites, can you?  You never realize how ubiquitous a thing is until you need to avoid it.  I think someone (slomo?) had a good idea about having an 'antidote' with you at all times.  You just don't know...

I remember that godawful hot day ~ 105 degrees in Yorba Linda!  I spent it in a grouchy, heat-induced coma.  But today is glorious! :)