Thursday, April 15, 2004

AOL-J Rocks

I've been working on this entry for a while.  I believe everything is perfectly timed - and this seems to be the perfect time.  I've been an AOL member since July 2000.  In all honesty, the only reason I chose AOL was because they made it easy for a new computer owner to get set up ... and sucked in!

When I bought my computer (almost four years ago) I planned on signing a 4-year contract with another service because they were offering $400 off the price of my computer [hello!].  But fortunately for me, I didn't have a credit card at the time and that was the only way that other service would do business with anyone. I suffered a brief moment of grief until it became vividly clear, it was their loss - not mine.  Remember, everything happens for a reason.

I knew nothing about AOL - except that it was everywhere.  The software came with my computer.  And it was the only internet service who would give this girl a chance: easy month-to-month payment methods; friendly, patient and informative customer service; step-by-step tutorials.  Plus, as I recall, the first month was free.  I couldn't go wrong.

Once I discovered the world of AOL, I was nowhere to be found in the world of non-AOL. Soon, my online life became a huge part of my offline life.  Eventually I found a nice balance between both worlds.  Until...

I was introduced to AOL Journals - and there was no turning back.  Aside from the addictive qualities of daily blogging and journaling (so much for that balance), not enough can be said about the incredibly fun, supportive and creative AOL-Journals Community.  High-quality people.  High-quality friends. 

Let's take a look back and count my blessings, shall we?

Vivian taught me how to do an AOLbyPhone entry for my first music post.  Isabel actually talked me through steps to help me with my video feed.  My very first AOL-J pal, ChefGraceGeorge went AWOL for a few weeks.  I was about to give up on her when she suddenly reappeared - full of tenderhearted wisecracks.  Steven  inspired me to see life through a different lens. Mia & Stephen always bring me to my knees in gratitude.

Last Fall, you nominated Journey to Peace for Best New Journal in the member-created AOL-J Awards.  That inspired me to continue writing.

What about tangible gifts and creations that just can't be emailed?  My first gift to myself in a long time was made by Nadine.  I was stunned - and still am every time I light a candle in my favorite votive.  I received beautiful handmade cards by Aunt Nub and Phinney.  Both are unique and extraordinary.  One of my dearest treasures is this creation by CarlyBridgett sent me a package full of sweet reminders with a timely message.  And her candle sits on my nightstand.  Christmas gifts, cards and Easter greetings from all across the country have blessed my snail mailbox.

Where would I be without DiAnne and her TiVo?  She was kind enough to rush a videotape of the first half of the Survivor season all the way across the country so I could get caught up.  If it weren't for her, I'd be one lost newbie Survivor fan.

Musenla and Robbie, two AOL Journalers, have come to see me perform live.  Seeing each of them [both at different times] feltlike a reunion with family members [the good kind].  I adore them. Musenla took some great pictures [available for viewing on my website]. Which reminds me, I owe her an autograph.  Robbie's written some deeply heartwarming entries about my music that I will cherish forever.   Babyshark and Irun spent a few days fighting over who's my "Number One Groupie.Andrea put dibs in for Number Five.  I've lost count of how many CDs I've sold to AOL-J members - but that doesn't even compare to the many who have listened to tracks and read lyrics on the website.

And none of that would have been possible if it weren't for the friend I found in one AOL Journaler.  My life is forever changed.  All graphics and websites linked in my All About Me sidebar were created by none other than SloMo. Thanks to her, people all over the world are getting a chance to hear my music! [whoa. do you get how deep this is?]

Now, let's talk tumor I'm positive, without the love and support of this community, I would still be sitting on my hands in terror, putting off the MRIJourney to Peace gave me a safe place to explore my fears and hopes when I couldn't speak the words.

The list of gratitude is endless.  It's impossible to name every single person who's touched my spirit in AOL-J.  Whether you are a regular or a first time reader, I am grateful.  Thank you.  And thank you AOL for always providing quality service.  [I might complain about glitches here and there but that just makes me human.]  Thanks to the enhanced features of AOL-J, I get to express my true gratitude all in one entry!

43 comments:

c82trinity said...

Wonderful!! Congrats!!! You deserve the #1 spot and I am happy to hear how blessed you are with all the people that care about you!

somenuttychic said...

Great journal, great entry. As always. :-) CONGRATULATIONS again on making the Editor's Top 5 list this week. I'm proud of you!

donah42 said...

J-Land IS an amazing place. My life has definitely been enriched by the souls I've found here, and I'm so excited by the potential I see for all of us to continue to support eachother. And I can't wait to see Freeepeace, Superstar!!!
Congrats on the #1 pick---couldn't happen to a nicer person:) XXOO

amk829 said...

Congrats! You have a great journal and you were bound to be in the top list. I enjoy reading your journal everyday to see whats on your mind and whats up.

Andrew :0)

annalisa135 said...

i saw the picture of you in the number 1 spot, my mouth dropped open & i squealed all in the span of a couple seconds!  how utterly fantastic!!  then i read your entry......just sitting here shaking my head.  you have so many wonderful friends.  and i can totally understand how you feel about your j friends.  i feel the same exact way about mine.  i love them all.  very very happy for you.  and slomo is a real babydoll, i agree.  she reaches out to so many people here in j-land, inspires many.  a bigger heart would be difficult to find.

s0ngbird1962 said...

Geez Freee, they already put you at the number #1 spot, you can quit kissing arse now, lmao....  :::running:::

Seriously, this was a great entry.... and when you put all the wonderful ways many people have touched you thru this journal, (and how you have touched others) you can't help but know, that you are blessed.....

Yes, everything happens for a reason...  : )

alphawoman1 said...

Oh Trish, I am so happy for you!!! You were the very first person to leave a comment on my journal and are so dear to me!  I am so happy to see you in the Number 1 spot.  Well deserved and worth the wait.
Mary

montaukny said...

:::::Screaming with delight!!!:::::  Freee ~ as always, you so totally rock, sweetie!  I'm soooooo darn proud of you!  First, SloMo is #2 last week, & now you're #1 this week!  WooooooHoooooooooo!  It's about time you got the recognition you deserve!!!!!  :::beaming with pride:::  {{{{{{{freee}}}}}}  hugs & smooches to you!  ~Aunt Nub~

mw15mw99 said...

CONGRATULATIONS Freeepeace on the TOP 5. You have a Great Journal.
Kate

beckieramos said...

Hi! Congratulations! Like your journal. God bless, Beckie
http://journals.aol.com/beckieramos/BeckiesBrightBeginnings

merelyp said...

... and just think how instrumental YOU and most of the folks so kindly linked above were in making it possible for you to have such a LONG entry!  I have to admit, I have witnessed some incredible advantages AOL offers to journalers (and non-- are there any?).  Congratulations and continued connectedness!

regretsrepeated said...

Hey, I really enjoy reading your journal. It's very interesting. Read mine if ya get a chance

viviansullinwank said...

{{{{{{{{{{Freee}}}}}}}}}} you are indeed number one! CONGRATULATIONS  It's funny I went to the Editor's page to see if they'd listed me because I'd received an email and of course you never know if you'll be selected and if so when :) Seeing your face there in the number one spot was a wonderful surprise! And being listed in your awesome entry today really made me feel special. Thank you for being such a wonderful part of my journaling journey. With all of the links you had in this entry, I was also able to do a little catching up on several journals I've been behind in. Your entry was awesome on many levels. CONGRATULATIONS again my friend!

rbushu said...

Freee, what a beautiful gratitude offering. Congrats on the top pick of the week. Like you said, everything happens for a reason.

sonensmilinmon said...

::JUMPING UP AND DOWN, SCREAMING:: YEAH FREEE!!! Congratulations on being picked ... so deserved, so long ago. :)  You are loved because ... well, darn because your so darn lovable and have this awesome singing voice that still leaves me with goose bumps!

Smilin Mon

irun01 said...

I am so proud of you.  I love our Rock Star. . . . . You are great.  You are wonderful.   - - - - can I be the number 1 groupie now??  If not, I've got a ton more compliments . . . . please?!?

am4th said...

Way to go,,, I am so happy for you! Horrraaaayyyyyyyyyyy for you. Best wishes for you and all thats in your future

aiibrat said...

Congratulations!!!

krobbie67 said...

I'd tell you to wipe the brown stuff off of your nose, but you went and said something nice about me too. ;-) You're so fricken great!!! So many many blessings we have here. It's nice to stop and count them from time to time. :-) ---Robbie

bridgetteleigh75 said...

What a wonderful entry, Trish.  And oh so true!  I still marvel everyday about the totally awesome people I've 'met' here on AOL.  

I'm so happy you've finally gotten your chance to shine.  Congratulations on being #1!  That rocks, Trish-baby!  Just like you!  <wink>  

And you know...you still have a birthday coming up.  Never know what you might receive in your snail mail...Mwah ha ha ha.  =)

slowmotionlife said...

Awwww, sweetie.  Congrats on your NUMBER ONE spot this week.  So very well-deserved and long overdue.  All the lives that have touched you were touched *by* you - in more ways than one.  We're all blessed to have met you.  Some of us are even more blessed to love you and be loved by you.  That said... love you!!  :)

geminiwilder said...

~you're the best, freee, you really are.  not just because AOL says so, either, but because you just are.
~ yes, you are blessed, and so is EVERYONE who is touched in some way, any way, by you.
~ the way you share your thoughts, and the way you show caring and concern for others is magical.  thank you....   =)  love, phinney

babyshark28 said...

yes, well...we still fight about it!  lol.   love you to absolute pieces freeepeace.  :)   great job on the #1 spot. xxxoo

ondinemonet said...

Hey...Look who is on the top of the list...Trish I always said you ROCK! WhoooooHoooooo! Congratulations my lovely one! Love, Carly :)

gingergirl05 said...

I'd have to say that without AOL I'd be dead...really.  I think that having the opportunity to communicate with people from all over the world is extraordinary.  We truly are blessed with this technology.  I'm glad that I found your Journey to Peace! :o)  ~  Kate xo

wessolo said...

Congratulations doll. You should be on that list every week.

Jamey

lifes2odd said...

Excellent appreciation entry! Congrats on making the top spot! :-)

noirtec said...

Hi! Forgot to tell you congrats yesterday on making the editor's choice. Sweet!

absinthemnded said...

Congrts!!!!!!!

freeepeace said...

MICHELLE - Ha! Hey, a little @ss-kissing never hurts. And I hope you know, you are one of the many who've touched my heart. I truly couldn't fit everyone - and this entry [with all the linkage] was quite tedious.  And yes, I am blessed.

MARY [alpha] - I remember leaving a few comments in your J way back when ... and you never responded.  I wondered if I was imposing.  But then you showed up in my J.  I'm glad I didn't give up. [did you know I linked you in an entry in my first few weeks here?]  We've come a long way baby! ;)

AUNT NUB - In my personal opinion, I think SloMo would've been #1 last week if she had sent the requested photo to the editors.  We all know she's #1 around here! [in MY book anyway].  But hey, I'm beaming to be in that spot this week! I share it with Hunny, of course! :)

KATE [mw] - Thank you. And thank you! :)

BECKIERAMOS - Thank you.  And thanks for leaving a link to your J.  I'll be sure to get there sometime this week!

freeepeace said...

C82TRINITY - Thank you. We're all blessed :)

NIKKI - You're so sweet - like my personal cheerleader. I appreciate you.

DONAH - I agree about the potential for all of us to continue to support each other... this is just the beginning. Now THAT's a great reflection.

ANDREW - Hey kiddo, haven't seen you around in a while.  Nice to have you drop a line. Thanks.

ANNA - Ah yes, our lives are richer, thanks to AOL-J.  The list continues to get longer - and my available time continues to get shorter.  I can only hope to keep up!

freeepeace said...

KATE [gingergirl] - My heart sinks at the thought of you NOT being with us anymore. You are a powerful, wise being - please remember that. I'm always here for you...just a click away! :)

JAMEY - Hey thanks! Every week huh?  I could go for that.  But I like the idea of mixing it up. Let's get YOU on that list! There are so many great journals now...I'll bet the editors are having a ball choosing their Top 5.

LIFES2ODD - Thank you - and thank you!

NOIRTEC - Thanks pal. It is sweet! :)  [great pics of you in your recent entries, btw!]

ABSINTHEMNDED - Thanks!

freeepeace said...

SLOMO - I can't say enough about you.  I could gush over your friendship in more than one entry.  We inspire each other - over and over again. I love you too. xo

PHINNEY - Thanks for that reflection. There are times I feel like I could show up a little more in some areas [like sending snail mail back to you - sorry for the delay].  But I show up the best I know how - like all of us. xo :)

SHARKY - No worries, you are always in that #1 groupie spot.  And I love you right back! xo

CARLY - Woohoo - sharing that screen with you is an honor!! Congrats to you too - you know I love you!  :)

freeepeace said...

MERELYP - I'm beginning to think there are no "non" folk out there.  Everyone must have an AOL-J.  It will change your life, forever! [agreed?]  :)

REGRETSREPEATED - Thanks for visiting and leaving your link. I'll get there...

{{{VIVIAN}}} - You ARE special.  And you deserve the #1 spot too - so I am crossing my fingers for next week!  It was a JOY to be able to link so much in one entry.  And I have you to thank - being one of the original beta testers! I love you woman!!

RBUSHU - Thank you. Thank you. I'm so glad you commented. I enjoy your J and haven't been there [haven't been anywhere] in a while.  Great reminder for me to get to you! :)

SMILIN MON - I wish I linked your review of my music too. Darn.  This post just got so tedious - and I was running so late for my busy day.  I'm sorry.  Gives me an idea... Look for an entry on the subject, soon. xo

IRUN - You'll have to take that up with your wife.  She's in the #1 Groupie Spot forever [unless SHE says otherwise!]  But I love ya...you know that!! xo

AM4TH - Thanks for the cheers! :)

AIIBRAT - :) Thanks!

ROBBIE - I figured it would be okay if, during my brown-nose session, I suck up to you too! :P  But seriously, you know I adore you.

BRIDGETT - Yes, the friendships we've made here is a thing to marvel over.  :)  I love that you tease me about my birthday.  I love birthdays - and surprises... except if the surprise is, everyone forgets. :P

floralilia said...

trish - very nice entry, indeed....congrats!

txsguinan said...

YAAAAY, freeeeee....!!!  All I can say is...what took 'em so long?...A lovely journal written by a beautiful person; you deserve this and so much more.  Brava!... :)

coy1234787 said...

    WooHoo AOL made the right choice!!! I am still pretty new to AOL Journals and I love reading journals as much or more than writing my own. Freepeace yours is defiantly #1 on my list too.
                                                         *** Coy ***

chefgracegeorge said...

Congrats Freeep!  You deserve the recognition.  Love you!

anishinabed said...

Really quickly, first you cannot "burn your skin" doing your eyebrows unless the wax is way too hot in which case the person does not have a clue as to what they are doing and second they should always inquire as to wether or not you have ever used acutane or propecia since they will cause your skin to tear (not burn) even many years after a person atops using the stuff (chemicals, Yuck!). Now I am a guy and no esthetician, but these things I know as I do know waxing (no I am not gay). Also, I write, play and perform as well so there is that kindred music thing that causes me to dump this on you. Hope it sits well with you as I am not trying to be harsh. OK, that said -chow

akatvjunkie said...

Congrats Freepeace! Your journal is faaaaaaaahbulous! ;-)

aynetal3 said...

Hey Free ... I know we're late, but just wanted to add one more teensy congratulations on this honor.  We could think of no better to have received it.  You are one of the people who makes this whole experience so great.  Keep on being you ... we're all in love!  And, Hey huney ... great mug shot!  Our love, Ayn and all

freeepeace said...

FLORALILIA - Thank you!

TXSGUINAN - Thank you so much.  I think the editors are making the rounds - getting all our faves up there!  I'm looking forward to next week and the weeks following.  Hope to see you there soon [if you haven't been already...???]

COY - Thanks.  Yeah, I get that way - enjoying the read rather than the write.  It ebbs and flows.  Enjoy the ride. :)

GRACE - My first J-pal. Thanks love!  You've been here since my blog was just a "corner coffee shop" - now, according to you, it's like a "friggen Starbucks."  I love you too!

ANISHINABED - All the proper inquiries were made - and my skin is sensitive enough that it does burn - like a sunburn [red and swollen] for a day or so afterward. Not this time though!

AKATVJUNKIE - Thanks for the visit and the praise. I'm slowly learning about Hamstertime [right Grace?!]  :)

AYNETAL - Never too late my loves! Thank you. I've passed your message to Hunny and she's taking her bows.

musenla said...

Ahhh, can't believe I didn't comment when the list came out.  From one (ex)fellow top lister to another, congrats!

Your journal is one of the best in AOL-J and you certainly deserve all the acclaim.  I was in great company on that list.  =P