Sunday, March 21, 2004

Long Overdue

I love the immediate connection with email. But when someone offers to send a handmade, hand-signed, tangible piece of mail, I practically trip over myself running to the mailbox every day.

The card on the left : by GEMINIWILDER [Cindy]
On the front of this Hand Stamped Limited Edition is the cutest hippie-chick with a peace symbol on her shirt. The quote below her reads, "Remember when 'hippie' meant a group of people..."  Inside it continues, "and not the lower half of your body?!?"  Ha! This card is filled with great detail - right down to the hippie's sandals. It's even her handwriting. Amazing!  A visual beauty and enough perfume to satisfy my olfactory senses for many years to come.

The card on the right : by AUNT NUB
Aunt Nub combined rubber-stamping, scrapbooking, hand-markering and lace for this single creation. The stamped quote at the bottom reads, "your life is your work of art" - absolutely beautiful.  A lot of love went into this - and talk about scent. Perhaps it's taken me so long to post this entry because her card had a permanent place on my bedside table since it arrived.  Sweet and soft.

These women have a distinct way of expressing their art. They cannot be compared. Both are genuine, heartfelt and beautiful in their own unique ways.

Thank you, beautiful women, for sharing your creations with me.  I'm blessed to have received them as gifts. They (like you) are treasures.

In other AOL-J News:
I was up late last night downloading required software to get streaming audio from a Seattle radio station. I set my alarm for 7AM to listen to IRUN broadcast live over the airwaves. That means I willingly cut out a good 2 or 3 hours of beauty rest! [proof in picture from previous entry]  Unfortunately, I missed my chance to hear him by three whole days. Apparently I mixed up days, times and events. Strangely, I don't think I was the only one.  Luckily the station plays great classic rock with very little commercial breaks.  But damn, I am tired!

17 comments:

krobbie67 said...

Missed by 3 days???? Nah uh! It was today. The step thing was today? What was three days ago? Those cards are cool. Back when I had a life, I used to make cards. But, nothing so lovely. :-) ---Robbie

sonensmilinmon said...

Those cards are cool and I'm like you ... especially for the real deal snail mail stuff. (just NO bills, please)

I missed IRUN on the radio too ... it was today though.

Smilin Mon

geminiwilder said...

thanks, freee, you give the BESTEST compliments!!! *blush*
i just love card making so much...i don't know what i would do without my stamps, and my inks, and my cardstock, and my paper punches, and my eyelets....

irun01 said...

. . . . And I think you are SO awesome for willingly climbing out of your nice comfy bed, just to listen in. I told the radio DJ's about all my very good friends who were waiting expectantly to hear that I had won. He was pretty excited to hear there were people all over the U.S. listening in to the station. You Rock, Rock Star.

queenz43 said...

Love your gift cards. There is so much talent in J-Land. Yeah for Irun!!!!
Time for some rest for you!!! I'll catch you on the next run.
RC~

bridgetteleigh75 said...

Aww...how nice that you're receiving all these homemade cards! I wish I was creatively inclined. Unfortunately, I'm not. But the card I sent you kind of LOOKED homemade. (okay...so it didn't. LOL)

Love you,
bridgett

jeanyu said...

You are sooo lucky, having those beautiful women next to you. Those cards looked so nice. I can feel the hands who made them!

freeepeace said...

ROBBIE - The stairs event was yesterday [the day of this post] but the 7AM radio broadcast was last Thursday! A lot of us read it wrong. He's tricky, that IRUN.

SMILIN MON - Ugh, bills! That's what makes these cards so great - actual good news in the mail. [see my comment to Robbie for the irun/event mixup]

CINDY - Your love for card-making shows. Now show it off for the world. Create and Market!

IRUN - I think you made that entry confusing on purpose. It's apparent I wasn't the only one who thought you'd be on the radio the same day as the stairs event. But still, I'm thrilled to hear you WON and you and Sharky will be going to Fleetwood Mac! Woohoo!

RC - Yes, we are a talented bunch. Isn't it fun! I'm still exhausted.

BRIDGETT - You are creative. I visit your journal daily. It's just a different form of creativity. You may not be able to make cards like these, but it doesn't make you any less talented. :) Again, can't be compared. You're one of a kind. xo

JEANYU - Ahh, we are all so lucky to have these beautiful women in AOL-J. :)

txsguinan said...

Nice art! Handmade cards are the best; I can't think of a single better way of letting a person know you're putting your heart into a message. Lovely. :)

slowmotionlife said...

Awww.. those ladies are just too darn special and too darn talented!!! And yeah, I missed Irun too. Bahhhhhh!!!!!

itsjustusinnc said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. This is lovely and all, but since when did people stop talking about ME?!?!!?? I mean HELLO! I've scanned your last 10 entries and not one reference. :::sigh:::

ªñ}

gingergirl05 said...

Beautiful cards!! Hmm...I feel a bout of inspiration to make some cards hehe. ~ Kate xo

babyshark28 said...

ahhh so nice (the cards) Llturtle does LOVELY cards too.
and yea ::ahem:: I am irun's WIFE and I was even confused..but, that's nothing to unusual. :)

musenla said...

Those are beautiful cards, and like I've said around these parts, I'm in awe of the talent that can be found in AOL-J!

I missed Irun's live radio telecast, too. I was dead to the world anyway, but glad to know Irun won, woohoo!

freeepeace said...

TXSGUINAN - I agree. Which is why it's been so difficult to return the favor to them. My heart is in it - but my version of a homemade card involves crayons and construction paper.

SLOMO - It was your post that hooked me up with these women and their creative talents. Thx. And yeah, the IRUN thing - we both thought the same thing.

FOREVER-GREGG - Can you take one second to honor the works of these women? Sheesh. Someone needs to get over himself. :P

KATE - Make cards - let's see! :)

SHARKY - LOL. As a matter of fact, I think I told you in IM that I was setting my alarm for listening at 7am. And you were just as excited as me. Then again, your mind might've only been focused on Fleetwood Mac. Understandable! :)

MUSE - Lots of talent here! We all missed IRUN - but he didn't miss a trick.

bridgetteleigh75 said...

Aww...now I'm feeling like a bad friend. I haven't sent you anything for awhile! But you know I love you anyway. =)

XO ~ Bridgett

freeepeace said...

BRIDGETT - I can't imagine you being a "bad friend" - I know you love me :) xo