Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Timing is Everything [2 of 2]

Little Wing picked me up early.  We checked in and the woman at the desk said I looked terrified.  On the phone she said, "Your four o'clock is here. No, the adult. Not the baby."  I joked that it was still to be determined. 

We laughed and talked in the waiting hall - it wasn't even a room.  Everyone was friendly and warm.  A nurse came out with a tiny pill to calm me down.  It was at that moment I started to feel queasy.  Once the pill kicked in though, everything felt just fine.

We found out I'd have to get a shot of dye in the middle of the MRI procedure.  Which  meant Little Wing wouldn't be with me.  But we figured by then, I'd be so high, it wouldn't matter.

The MRI technician was very nice.  She answered all my questions and explained everything, as she handed me earplugs and strapped my head into a small shell.  Because my ear was being examined, my whole body had to be in the tank? tube? machine? Whatever.  I endured a one-hour series of four- to five-minute tests.  I had just a few seconds in between each test to swallow and take a deep breath.  It was not very comfortable.  Panic came in waves.  But I thank my past experiences with breath, yoga and a few other hints and tricks, for getting me through the procedure.  And the shot of dye?  Piece of cake!  I just kept thinking about the waxing.

I was done early.  My ride hadn't even arrived yet.  Knowing I had someone coming to get me, the nurse allowed me to walk out of the hospital, on my own.  I didn't realize just how loopy I was till I got to the main hallway.  I laughed myself into the gift shop to buy some chocolate.  It was time for a treat.  I reached into my pocket for the my dollar bill and I saw it was only $1.

It suddenly occurred to me that I over-tipped Minu.  I thought I gave her $3.  Instead, I gave her two ones and a ten!  That's some generous tip!

So, I had to buy cheap chocolate.  A pack of Rolos and a bite-sized Nestle Crunch will do in a pinch.

I came home and crashed.  I had a wonderful conversation with a good friend.  And a heart-shaped package of chocolates arrived in the mail from the same friend.  Like I said, timing is everything!

14 comments:

mallory4284 said...

Hm, let's try this again....I'm glad to hear everything went so well yesterday!! That's great!

-- Mallory

queenz43 said...

Again, glad everything worked out so well for you. Hopefully you can relax now. And did you say Rolos?...Mmmmmmmmm......Rolos... :-)
~RC

babyshark28 said...

Boy, that friend of yours is sure someone special. :) there's nothing like loosing yourself in great conversation and chocalate. Glad to hear everything went well! :) xo

diannevan said...

seriously, here... you actually CAN have your bikini area waxed? I don't know whether I'd die from the pain... or die from the embarrassment. Sheesh! You're one strong chick!

derossetfamily said...

That leg wax perspective saved the day! It was worth the 12 extra bucks :p That must have felt so good when that guy told you you have beautiful eyes. He aint lyin' sistah! :::whew::: so glad your MRI went ok, I was thinking about ya today. Ahhh heart shaped packages, friends are great :)
~Mary

slowmotionlife said...

LoL... this story doesn't get any less hillarious the second and third time I've heard it. I feel blessed to have heard it first hand. I bet Minu was woo-hoo'ing all afternoon!! tehehe..

Rolos Rock! :P

bridgetteleigh75 said...

YOU MADE IT! It's all over...and you were even laughing afterwards! What a sport! =)

Love you, hun!

Bridgett

s0ngbird1962 said...

So glad that the MRI went well without too much trauma. I think I'd rather have a shot of dye than waxing...lol...(think my hubby would rather I had the waxing...)

irun01 said...

So glad everything went well. That "little pill" made ALL the difference to me when I went in for my . . .ahem . . . . no more babies surgery . . . .

alphawoman1 said...

I am so glad and relieved for you that it is over. Thank goodness for those little pills.
Mary

andreakingme said...

I'm so emotionally out of it today that your 3 entries (these two and the spidey one) really helped to cheer me up. So thanks!

I'm so glad your MRI went without a hitch. That's just the way it should be!

sunflowerkat321 said...

I'm so glad you have that behind you. It's amazing what your mind will put you through...and what a difference a little perspective makes.

miarenee24 said...

Ah, see how everything works out? Yeah, I really liked this description of your day. I knew you'd be fine, after you got in there, I was just concerned for your nerves, before going. Ugh..I know how it is. Minu got a $12 tip, probably bc of your nerves, but you never know how much she may have needed that. And, you got a box of chocolate for pay back! Very sweet! It all worked out! Love you!

musenla said...

Nothing like being out of it to chase all the worries away, hehe. And chocolates to boot!

MRIs are not very pleasant, but you sure handled it like a trooper. So proud of you! Smooch.