Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Timing is Everything [1 of 2]

Timing is everything.  I have never felt so emotionally and physically prepared for any kind of medical visit as I did yesterday.  I thank all my friends who lined up to take care of me - My drop-off. My pick-up. My back-up.  Phone calls. Emails.  All my journal pals who support me all over the country.  I mean, literally, I feel held.  In your hands - the hands of Spirit.

I spent two hours yesterday morning, feeling immobilized by fear, unable to get out of bed.  A reassuring phone call from Cheryl finally gave me that extra oomph to get a move on.

The weather was mild - Spring-like - so I took Hunny for a longer morning walk than usual.  I think even she was surprised.  It did us both a world of good.

I went to get my legs waxed and Minu noticed something about me right away.  She said, "You look good. Your face. Your skin. Something's different. Did you cut your hair?"  I just liked hearing all that so I took it in.  Later I wondered if it was my glazed look of terror or the missing nosering.

As I was laying on the table, it suddenly occurred to me that I willingly get on her "examination table" as often as every month [when I can afford it] and volunteer for this excruciating pain!  It's a 20-minute process, sometimes longer.  Hot wax and ripping.  From toes to bikini.  Underarms.  Sometimes eyebrows!

I thought, why am I worried about a little one-time, split-second needle?  Seriously, that's what helped put it all into perspective for me.

Leaving the salon, driving down alley, I noticed a beautiful [possibly homeless] man carrying a large bag of bottles and cans.  He was searching through dumpsters.  I stopped and asked if he wanted my empty water bottle.  We locked eyes and smiled at each other as he took the bottle.  He started to turn away but instead called out, "Hey, you have nice...uhh...beautiful eyes."  I thanked him and told him to have a nice day.

Oh yeah, it was a good day.

8 comments:

queenz43 said...

So glad your day went good. I was thinkin' bout cha'.
(Reading On)

babyshark28 said...

I guess there's nothing like laying down on a table and having hot wax poured all over your body, and the hair ripped away from it's roots to put you in perspective of a little needle poking. LOL I do believe you and me both have conquered a fear these past few days *raising glass* cheers! xo

krobbie67 said...

Oh so glad the experience went well. Putting things in perspective and breathing good choices for coping. :-) ---Robbie

slowmotionlife said...

Awww.. sounds like a GREAT day. I know you were pysched to have it all over with. And really... waxing.... OUCH!!!!! LOL

bridgetteleigh75 said...

The homeless man is right...you DO have gorgeous eyes! It was one of the first things I noticed about you in your pictures. They look very vividly green. So glad the day wasn't as terrifying as you first believed it would be. =)

XO ~ Bridgett

irun01 said...

Beautiful eyes

musenla said...

I've seen those peepers in person so I can vouch for them being real pretty. =D

Who would've thought that waxing and ripping could make one think of happier thoughts? I'm just glad you came through today with flying colors!

clarity4today said...

You have such a positive attitude, really. I'm glad you were able to take that experience and put your other worries in perspective.

But waxing? :::shuddering at the thought:::