Thursday, February 26, 2004

Skateboarding [movies : pt 2]

SloMo mentioned something to me about my love of documentaries.  And honestly, I wasn't even aware of it, till I realized three of the four movies I'm writing about are documentaries. 

I don't know if you know this about me but I love everything about skateboarding.  The gear, the games, the riders, the action, the history.  I love the X-Games and the video games.  In my next life, I want to be a skateboarder-chick!

STOKED : THE RISE AND FALL OF GATOR  This is a powerful documentary about the life of famed 80s professional skateboarder, Mark "Gator" Rogowski, who is now serving 31 years to life in prison.  It starts of light and fun as he becomes number one in the skate-world.  But it takes a dark turn really fast.  Very well done.

DOGTOWN AND Z-BOYS  This is another great history-of-skateboarding documentary.  I didn't watch this one last week.  I've seen this a few times since its release almost two years ago.  And I'll see it again.  This is where it all started.  And it's right here, in Los Angeles.  Venice Beach and Santa Monica.  These guys were the pioneers of the sport.

10 comments:

slowmotionlife said...

Ohhhh.... movie reviews!! You and your damn documentaries. tehehe... But these look like fun, you super-skater-chick, you! :P

bridgetteleigh75 said...

I've noticed the documentary craze in you too, dear, sweet Trish. What's that all about anyway?? LOL I do want to watch Dogtown and Z-Boys. You mentioned it when we were on the phone...

And, of course, I trust your opinion always! =)

Love you,
bridgett

babyshark28 said...

wow, you really are into skateboarding. I used to catamarang <--sp? down our street on skateboards, it takes two people...have you ever heard of that? I like documentaries too. :) Just watched one today. well, take care skater chic xo

freeepeace said...

SLOMO - Don't knock my damn documentaries till you've tried them! :P

BRIDGETT - I'm not sure about the current surge of documentary-loving I've been participating in, but I'm really enjoying it! Let me know what you think if/when you rent them :)

SHARKY - catamarang? Not sure I know what that is - but it sure is fun to say! What is it?

andreakingme said...

Into skateboarding, huh? One of Oogie's boyfriends bought me a WONDERFUL skateboard when I was 12 or so. The board was this polished light brown wood color and the wheels were Sunkist orange. It was really pretty. Of course, I was terrified of it. Used it for a seat.

freeepeace said...

ANDREA - Wow, sounds like a kickbutt skateboard - LUCKY! "Used it as a seat" ::gasp:: Wash your mouth girl! hehe

sxysweetart said...

I will keep these movies in mind for my ds. He likes Tony Hawk. Didn't know you lived in LA, for some reason I thought you lived in NYC! Great journal you have BTW! ~lila~

musenla said...

I heard about Gator, his story was featured in CNN once. What a quick spiral, from the top of his game to the bottom of life.

I didn't know you're a skateborading enthusiast. Do you skateboard?

babyshark28 said...

hmmm, I would have to email it to you :) it just might get lengthy.

krobbie67 said...

So the girly girl does exist within me because I am totally clueless about hanging five. Do they even call it that anymore? Oh wait, maybe it was hanging ten. Oh well. I'll just be stoked that you're stoked and reping the estrogen contingency.
;-) ---Robbie