Friday, February 13, 2004

Screenplay?

I made a comment in Andrea's journal about writing a screenplay and it perked her interest...

Everyone in Hollywood dabbles in screenwriting at one time or another.  Some actually make a decent living at it.  But many, like me, have scraps of bits and pieces of what I now refer to as the story of my life.

Ten years ago I collaborated with a friend on an amazing project - on her computer.  We developed and wrote a TV pilot.  It's witty, adventurous, unique and exciting.  But my friend and I had a falling out. Since then, we've tried to hash it out a couple of times but still can't seem to get it together.  Today, various drafts sit in a filebox, alongside my many journals.

Four years ago, Cheryl and I decided to write a screenplay together.  I didn't have a computer and she had an old word processor.  Neither one of us had any recent experience with formatting, structuring, etc. so I took a screenwriting course at Santa Monica College.  I had taken playwriting and scene study courses in my college days.  But I wanted a hands-on, interactive, nuts-n-bolts screenwriting class.  But this class wasn't that.  Just another frustrated writer passing the torch of despair on to hopeful youngsters.

I quit the course but not before I bought my first computer.  How did I ever think I could write and edit without access to my files?  I spent hours at Best Buy, trying to find the best buy.  Then I spent more hours at home trying to make the best of my best buy.  Instead I found AOL.

A few years ago my mom generously bought me scriptwriting software.  With it, I've attempted my own various projects; TV episode specs, screenplays, music videos. I even threaten to revisit that ten year-old project that still lingers in the back of my mind today.

But for now, I am enamored with all the fancies of AOL-J.  Maybe a distraction.  But I see it as a blessing.  A way to hone my craft, get immediate feedback and stay connected with people like me.  Who knows?  Perhaps a screenplay, a book, or a TV pilot will get written afterall!

10 comments:

bridgetteleigh75 said...

Trust me, Trish...AOL-J is just as enamored with YOU! =)

Me and my friend, Mindy once rewrote Othello...and performed our re-write in front of our entire class! LOL Can you imagine re-writing SHAKESPEARE??? God, it was so funny though. We intentionally made it comical. Figured that was the only way we'd get our classmates interested. I think we have it on video tape somewhere.

I want to write a novel...you want to write a screenplay. Maybe we should combine forces. =)

itsjustusinnc said...

OOoooooo! I wanna be one of the characters!!! Not actually on the tele mind you, but at least the basis for a character. I think my personality translates well on the screen wouldn't ya say? Hmmm? Hmmm? LOL!

AOL J is a HUGE distraction. Or maybe real life's the distraction. ALl a matter of perspectie I guess! Ok. Outta time. Gotta split! Love ya baby!

Gregg

slowmotionlife said...

Should you ever actually write a screenplay - a successful one, I mean, one that gets bought and put to fabulous use - I absolutely demand that you name one of the characters SloMo. It's much like naming one of your children after me. And as my ego is as big as a house, I'd like that very much. :P Lurve you, honey-poo! Thanks for the book!!! If only you had wrote it! ::sigh:: tehehehe...

queenz43 said...

Glad to see you feeling better? And er, um, if you ever get that screenplay off the ground and need any extras.... my.. um... agents number is 555-............

derossetfamily said...

I've thought about taking a screenplay course! My (almost) sil, who happens to live in LA is working on one now and has had a couple plays out, and I just think its sooo neat. I'm sure your a natural, keep working on it! You've got all of us backin' ya, how cool would that be? <--thinks outloud :)
~Mary

andreakingme said...

LOL! You pretty much just described what *I* went through at Best Buy trying to get a computer, then trying to make the best of it afterwards ... and then finding AOL.

That would be too cool if you succeeded in getting a TV show produced based on YOUR idea! I think you're a little like me, though: afraid of success? I keep creating these roadblocks, real or imagined, that lay in my path ...

Oh boy.

freeepeace said...

Bridgett - will you marry me? :P You're such a lovebug! I wanna see the video tape of your version of Othello! Or the script! What fun! Are you writing a novel? Spill it - woman who secretly wants to be a writer! :)

Gregg - you ARE a character! No one needs to write or create anything! You are it boy! And you're right, AOL-J is a matter of perspective! Love ya too baby!

freeepeace said...

SloMo - you and Gregg will be the basis of my next screenplay attempt! Anything to inflate that ego more. :P And I *wish* I'd written that book. My life would be so different right now. hehe

Queenz - thanks for the well wishes [still climbing up out of the sicky-muck] An extra? Why not go for a main role? You can play SloMo. :P

freeepeace said...

Mary - cool about your [almost] sil. You're an incredible writer - witty, intelligent, hip - why not write one yourself? [guess I think outloud too!] :)

Andrea - Yes, very similar stories. Perhaps I'm afraid of success. I do know I sabbotage projects - abandon them, lose interest, etc. I mean, look at all I've ALMOST accomplished! Frankly, I'm surprised I've stuck with AOL-J this long! For me, this IS success. Maybe I'm breaking old patterns! :)

musenla said...

I've thought about writing a screenplay, but you know how that goes, life gets in the way; it's good at doing that! Anyhow, as long as you're writing--and AOL-J is certainly a good outlet for that--I don't think it's a waste of time, rather another way to hone your talents. Think of screenplay writing as being postponed for the meantime, but not forgotten. Oh, will we get to see snippets of your work, pretty pweese? =D