Monday, February 9, 2004

Ommmm

Well, today my clients remembered to pay me but they neglected to leave their back door unlocked.  So, my payment and the dogs were stuck inside, locked in a cage in the kitchen with the waterbowl just out of reach.  Like a horrible, tormenting "got water?" commercial.

Ommmm

Lucky for them, I was running late and my clients were able to unlock the door before I arrived. But when I got there, I noticed the backyard had been newly landscaped [rolled grass] and there was a note for me to keep the dogs off the lawn.  Don't even get me started!

Ommmm

While driving to the dogpark, one of the lanes was closed due to construction.  No biggie.  It's the city.  I expect delays.  But what I didn't expect was the total chaos from the approaching fire engine behind me.  The constant siren and horn blowing seemed to send everyone into a frenzy.  Suddenly, three lanes of traffic attempted to merge into the parking lane.  People were honking and waving for others to move over.  Some refused to move.  One construction worker stood in the way of traffic, referring to all drivers as idiots for not moving faster.  The biggest dog in my car started pacing in the back seat - probably dying of thirst - stomping on the other dogs.  And Hunny [with her sensitive ears] began her screeching/howling as the siren got closer.

Ommmm

I knew it would only get worse before it got better.  In one swift motion, I turned my radio down, smiled at the construction worker, wedged my car into a sliver of an opening in the parking lane, rubbed Hunny's ears and asked Sam to sit down.  And surprisingly, I was completely calm through the whole ordeal.

Ommmm

When the fire engine passed, I realized I needed to get to the far left lane to make a turn.  Again, staying calm, I drove across three lanes of unpiling traffic.  I considered coming dangerously close to the swearing construction worker, to show him just how fast my car can move.  But instead, I kept my smile, turned the radio up and sang my way across all three lanes, waving to each driver.

Ommmm

19 comments:

chefgracegeorge said...

You achieved balance in this stressful situation!
I, for one, would have probably flipped someone off, and still not have felt any better. You set a fine example, my friend.

diannevan said...

Ommmmm (my goodness), how do you keep your sanity? You need to live in Dover Ohio, a town so tiny that we never have traffic problems and nobody ever locks their houses. And "rolled lawn"? We like our crabgrass that is the color of tumbleweeds in August. LOL!

krobbie67 said...

Ommmm
You are having one heck of a week.
Ommmm
I think something great is about to happen.
Ommmm
It's the storm.
Ommmm
Before the calm.
Ommmm
At least you kept your cool. :-) ----Robbie

musenla said...

Wow, I guess all that Ommmm does work wonders. I would've freaked out and my ulcers would've flared up just like that if I had a day like yours. Poor Hunny, I know how she hates loud piercing sounds. But I guess that's a typical L.A. day for ya. I used to have my office in MidWilshire and believe me, I don't miss it and the traffic that goes along with it!

metski715 said...

Don't you hate it when traffic is the result of those a$$holes who ride out the lane, thats about to end, to the very end. They can't get over, they have to ride it out till it turns into the emergency lane. I make a point not to let them in. What jerks!
:)
chris

slowmotionlife said...

Ommm... Christ, I think we could all use an Ommmm today.... ::smile::

derossetfamily said...

You are stronger than I LoL, I would have been in a rage. Gotta learn to control that I guess. Ommmmmmm
~Mary

itsjustusinnc said...

I don' tcare how many years I stay out of New York I think I'll ALWAYS be the person flipping my lid & thanking GOD I don't have a gun in situations like those [the traffic]. Lord, I'm starting to boil just reading it. Time to slap somebody!

Gregg

aynetal3 said...

Wow! The best transcendentalism, we've ever seen! This is why though you are paid the big bucks?? *Giggle* It was really the "waving to each driver" that puts you in a new "Priceless" category of people out there just living on the edge! Reminds me of the song, "Werewolves of London." Queen? Our love Jamie

irun01 said...

You are my hero. As a professional driver, I can honestly say that if more people on the road would handle stressful situations the way you did, my job would be so much easier. Instead, people panick, freak out, and just basically forget how to drive. Well done Rock Star.

hempenhomespun said...

I admire your ability to handle the situation so calmly. I consider myself an easygoing and level-headed person, but driving requires the use of every four letter word I know.

bridgetteleigh75 said...

Trish...I have to say...you win the award for painting the funniest pictures here in j-land. LOL I do admire your ability to stay calm. I tend to get flustered very easily. Especially when it comes to driving...not one of my strongest abilities! =)

XO ~ Bridgett

robbygoe said...

Love Damien Rice. I have the CD haven't listened to it for a couple of months. I love the song Cold Water though I hate parts of the song. The part I hate is the chorus of bass men singing something that I can't remember. I have something from a live session he did that is hilarious. I have to find it and send it your way. It's good you were able to stay calm during the day Ommmm

babyshark28 said...

Good Lord.
ha! I would have been a nervous wreck! That happened to me once. sort of. I moved over fine, everyone did. But, I needed to make a turn up ahead and tried to get back into the lane that I was in....and no one would let me! well, eventually a nice person did...just in time. geeesh. ommmmm indeed. :)

s0ngbird1962 said...

Hey Freee, that wasn't the same construction worker that was outside your window with the jack hammer, was it? LOL, maybe you should have gone even closer. I tend to "wave" at people too in stressful traffic situations and they always wave back with ONE finger.

andreakingme said...

You're a lesson in motion to us all. Ommmm indeed! I'd have went nuts. Probably. I hate driving. HATE it.

It's probably not a good thing to use the word hate, either. I need to get away from that nasty habit. Ommmmm.

ondinemonet said...

LOL...You have strength girl! LOL. So, does the Ommmm thing actually work? I may take it up. Maybe I will find my still missing sauce pans. :)LOL. Love, Carly

nikki247 said...

I could never drive in the city -- I cant' even drive here in little ole Bangor Maine! Its crazy -- I freak out any time there is traffic -- maybe its the whole thing with me thinking that I hit someone with my car lol -- gets worse in traffic

sunflowerkat321 said...

This makes me think that travelling with a car full of kids is a peaceful endeavor. At least they're strapped in! Maybe Ommmmmmm is the key. I'll have to put it in my bag of tricks.