Wednesday, February 18, 2004

How will I know?

Eleven and a half years in this state, and I've never seen a real live black widow spider up close and personal.  I always wondered if I'd recognize one.  How will I know?  I know the distinguishing marking - the red hourglass.  But that's under her belly - what if she's crawling toward me?  I can't imagine I'd be able to get her to roll over for me.

There are so many black spiders.  What if I mistakenly identify her as one of the thousands of friendly, harmless garden spiders?  There are so many.  And they're all so beautiful.  Their webs are amazing.  I usually leave them alone, unless they're just a little too close to my bed.  Then I capture them and bring them outside, where they'll probably have a better life anyway.  I've lived with many spiders - high ceilings make them out of reach.  I'm not thrilled about the thought of them crawling on me, in the dark.  It's a little creepy.  But spiders in general are gorgeous creatures of the earth.

I've heard black widows tend to like dark places.  I've been warned to wear gloves when going through old cardboard boxes in a shed or garage.  I know not to stick my hand in places I can't see.  I know to wear shoes in a storage area.  But I never expected to see one sitting in the brightest spot, in the corner of the yoga studio's gift emporium.

I was about to turn out the lights when I was overcome by the shining beauty of a spider.  Mesmerized, I cautiously leaned in to get a closer look and no question about it - this was an undeniable, clearly marked black widow spider.  Belly up, her red hourglass was unmistakable.  Her strong, long, shiny black legs were enough for a human to envy!  My hand nearly grazed her web.  So thick and sturdy - like fishing wire.  Powerful medicine, this creature was.

But what was I to do?   Capture her?  Set her free - in the city?  She, and certainly I, were much safer with her nestled in her web overnight.  Upon calling one of the owner's of the studio, it was agreed to leave her.  All other options made me shiver.

When it comes to identifying a black widow spider, you won't find her true beauty in a picture or in a book or on TV.  It's like love, you'll just know.

21 comments:

slowmotionlife said...

I'm one of the few people I know who isn't deathly afraid of spiders. I've never understood that fear. They don't move very fast, afterall. And I'm bigger than they are. Then again, I've never been bitten by one of the bad ones. My opinion might change, if that were the case. I'm kinda glad you caught your first glimpse of a geniune black widow. You sound so enthused. It's wonderful. :)

bridgetteleigh75 said...

Like you, I find spiders one of the most beautiful of all creatures. Unfortunately, I've never seen a black-widow yet. I did, however, have a pet tarantula. I loved that spider.

Even talking about it makes Doug's skin crawl. LOL He really hates spiders.

I'm glad you left her in her web.

Hugs to you,
bridgett

babyshark28 said...

so, this is it, huh. you've finally fallen in love...with the black widow.
you so lovingly portrayed this venemous creature, that I too became enraptured by the thing. But, alas....it's a SPIDER and I shiver at the thought of it's image, and to know it would rather kill me then go about it's peacful life getting away from me...makes we want to squirm in my seat all the more....LOL your too wonderful freee. xo

s0ngbird1962 said...

:::singing:::: "I don't like spiders and snakes, but that's not what it takes to make me love you...." LOL, remember that song? ~~Wish I could remember who sang it. Anyways, I HATE spiders, they give me the creeps. I think they are too intelligent for an insect. This big brown one came out of a bag I had by the bed...I tried to smash it with my slipper, but it crept away. Now every morning I check my slippers to make sure he's not lurking in there waiting to bite me...

cw2smom said...

Outstanding description/entry...We have TONS of BWs all around here and they often make their way inside. Never was concerned about them *outside* but...inside is another story...even in the garage...since one nice mama let her egg sack and millions of babies hatch on my car one day! YIKES! And, then once my daughter got bit on the foot by one, who ran off and played dead! Fortunately not a serious bite...but scary!

diannevan said...

I'm in awe. This is just so typical of you, Freeee. You see the beauty where others are just too afraid to look deeper. THIS is why I admire you.

fyrecracker1 said...

I got one word for this entry... "YUCK!" :::shutter::: ;o)

alphawoman1 said...

It is an old Irish saying to not kill spiders, to do so brings on bad luck.
Mary

s0ngbird1962 said...

Mary, thank God I'm NOT Irish. lol This French girl will....well, Freee loves 'em so let's not go there : )

mallory4284 said...

Eek, yeah, this entry gives me the chills. I don't mind the little spiders so much but I think I would freak out if I saw a black widow!! My dad caught a tarantula that was under his car when we lived in Texas. Yikes, that was scary!! We also found a hermit crab in our garage once. We kept him as a pet and called him Hermie. He liked to climb out of the fish bowl and crawl around the downstairs. But that has nothing to do with spiders....

-- Mallory

andreakingme said...

Well, I'm so terrified of spiders that I stand in a kind of frozen awe if they're big enough. And, er, this one would be. I liked reading this entry, but I'd also feel sorry to have the spider killed.

Can't kill 'em, can't live with 'em. ::doing the shudder freak::

sunflowerkat321 said...

I'm also the type that will catch a spider or insect and set it free. I can't bear to kill them. Good thing you recognized that mama before you tried to corral her. I'm fascinated...I've never seen one, but I'd love to.

raisinglouisiana said...

I know this may sound strange, but I think it's bad luck to
kill a spider. I leave them alone, and I have been bit before
which is nothing nice. The Victorians embroidered spider webs
and a spider on crazy quilts for good luck. I use them on my
crazy quilts, using golden thread for the web. I have seen
Black Widows, unmistakable...
Love, Penny

miarenee24 said...

YIKES!!! I must say, one thing I love about you most is, you see the beauty in things, most of us fail to see. And girl, this is one of'em! Sorry...I can't stand spiders! But, love you!

metski715 said...

Spiders and snakes scare the hell out of me. I just cant see any beauty in them. Maybe on the bottom of my shoe or something. That was bad. Im sorry. Just scared of them.

sonensmilinmon said...

You gave me the heebie jeebies just reading this entry. I was never terribly afraid of spiders until I got bit by one in the head. Since the doctors shots, the pain of the medicine they gave me up my a@* ... I'm SCARED of what happens after the spider bites!!!! So BE CAREFUL!

Smilin Mon

derossetfamily said...

I'm sorry Freee, I would have thrown a book on that thing and RAN! LoL! ::shivers:: omgomgomgomgomg I am PETRIFIED of spiders! I'm outta here!
:D
~Mary

iwaterbeari said...

Freee - I don't mind the black widows, but I won't stay in the same building with a brown recluse!! They aren't pretty, and their poison *shudder* will rot big holes in your skin.

s0ngbird1962 - Jim Stafford sang Spiders and Snakes. I know, my age is showing now. LOL

musenla said...

Girl, you see the deadliest spider around in PERSON and instead of freaking out you're fascinated?! What's the mater with you? lol

Doesn't it worry you that she will be crawling around in the studio? I mean she's not gonna stay in that web all the time, what if you have another encounter? I suggest to call the exterminator, quick (can you tell I hate spiders?)!

dazeychic said...

Ew. Ew. and Ewww. OMgosh. I just cannot believe this entry! I try to find beauty in all things..but spiders!? nope. No way. No how. Ewwww. I feel like they are crawling on me now! What I want to know is how come something so dang small can scare me sooo bad? Why am I such a chicken and you are so..so..peaceful!?
Teach me your ways girl!
~Shells

viviansullinwank said...

{{{{{Freee}}}}} I'm glad you got through the MRI ordeal as well as you did. You reminded me of the first one I had last year. Something hilarious happened so you've given me something to journal about. I don't recall reading when you expect to have the results.