Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Doggone Shoes

Living in Southern California, I can't justify spending money on a raincoat for those two weeks out of the year we get rain.  But come those rainy days, I'm the first to whine and complain about how much gets dumped in one fell swoop.  Still, I cringe at the thought of shelling out my hard earned cash on ugly plastic protection.  I've been known to wear a Hefty trash bag in an emergency.

I feel the same way about my shoes. Even though I need them daily, I just can't seem to get myself to pay full price for my dogwalking shoes.  THIS is why!

BEFORE

 

AFTER

One of these pairs is two years old.  The other is less than a year old.  Can you tell the difference?

These were a gift from my friend Beth.  They retail at $65.00 a pair.  They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.  I swear, I'm a walking ad campaign for Puma California Sneakers!  They even outrank my five year old Vans - the Wallys I thought I'd never replace!

Unfortunately, with comfort comes a higher price tag.  Therein lies my dilemma.  I have a hand-me-down income with retail taste!  It's not that I'm refusing to wear impostors, out of respect for my Pumas.  In all honesty, nothing comes close to the comfort of a Puma California.  Now if I could just find a way to keep them cleaner!  Any suggestions?

12 comments:

s0ngbird1962 said...

Hmmm..."Now if I could just find a way to keep them cleaner! Any suggestions?"
I only have one....

Quit walking dogs, lol.....

PS: Is that dog poop or mud on those after sneakers : )

mallory4284 said...

sorry, i have no suggestions. Well, I guess there's one....don't walk in the mud! ;) Just kidding.... I want (notice that's want, not necessarily need...) new shoes. But now that my mom and dad don't really buy my clothing for me anymore I can't get any because of financial constraints on my part. Oh the well though, the cause of my lack of money is my car, and I'd much rather have that.....

musenla said...

Mmm, maybe leave them in the washer? =D

irun01 said...

I only spend the big $$ on my running shoes. I can justify it because they protect my legs. As far as keeping them clean. . . I never considered them "Ready" for a race until they are "Blemished." Keep on walking Rock Star.

derossetfamily said...

::sigh:: I dont know what to tell ya, I cant keep pretty shoes pretty for more than a month. But I love every single pair of shoes you have up there! My feet LOVE Vans, they just cant get enough! Puma's are a very close second, I love those blue ones. Wait, what are we talking about? I just want new shoes now! :p
~Mary

babyshark28 said...

wrap them in plastic wrap before you go out, it isn't known to work at all...it's just a thought :) lol..

I think your shoes should be tax write off, it is an item needed to be worn for your profession...

anyway. nice entry. I like your shoes...

wessolo said...

They give away free scrub booties with a $30 instant tan at Pacific Sun tanning salon. Try that.

Oh wait.

krobbie67 said...

My answer to high-priced sneakers is: OUTLET MALLS. I refuse to pay full price for a pair of sneaks. Try the Citadel on the 5 or for even more options go to Camarillo Outlet. :-) ---Robbie

itsjustusinnc said...

Uhhh.....er.....um.....well.....I never thought I'd ever come across an entry I couldn't comment on but ya got me sistah! I don't have a frickin CLUE how to maintain a shoe--or much of anything else for that matter. LOL! Sorry.

Gregg

slowmotionlife said...

Ewwwwww..... LOL

One Suggestion : Two cups of Tide and 1/2 cup of Bleach!! Wash and re-wash.

Poor shoes.... :(

bridgetteleigh75 said...

Trish, hun...maybe you can get those construction guys to CHISEL the mud off those shoes for you. LOL I think that's the only thing that's going to help. I agree with Krobbie...check out the outlet malls. Bargains, bargains, bargains!

XO ~ Bridgett

sunflowerkat321 said...

I wear sneakers everywhere. I wear them down to nothing. But sometimes I care if they look decent or not. Also, the comfort is very important for fitness walking. I wear old shoes for anything that's wet or muddy. I have a pair set aside strictly for fitness and my everyday sneakers. I know it takes more shoes....but if you shop smart or ease in pair at a time...you'll ultimately extend the life of the shoe by wearing it less often. It's hard to replace a pair you LOVE!